Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me the story of how you came to the SV as your bike?

I got my SV by luck, I was looking for a first street bike. I went in wanting a GSXR600, but fell in love with the looks of a Red 07 SVN. Brought it home that day and the rest is history. I strayed, first to a GSXR600, then I came back to the SV till I got my DRZ. Now I have been looking at another SV for a track bike. Something always draws me back.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
It was cheap and in good shape. Rode it for 2 years, and now have moved to a similarly cheap bike that is in good shape.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
I was one of the foolish that thought the SV was a good beginner's bike (this was in 2001). I bought it for my now ex-wife to learn to ride on (it *wasn't* a good bike for it). She never got licensed due to reasons beyond ability; she learned to ride well. In the divorce, it became mine. The only thing I wanted more from the divorce was my daughter.

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
When I was in high school (late 60s - early 70s) something like this
was the unobtainable object of moto-lust for me.

When I reached the age of Darwinian expendbility and economic self-indulgence (aka "mid-life crisis"), I looked around for something that would scratch that decdes-old itch. The SV was available, affordable and a reasonably tractable re-entry street bike. Similar lines, almost twice the hp, but runs (usually) as reliably as a refrigerator.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I picked mine up just to help out my mother in law (who was out the $) when my little brother in law decided he didn't want it anymore. It's been a joy to work on it and ride it...

·
MOTORADOR
10,817 Posts
The classified section of the local news.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I drunkenly put up a bid on eBay one night for an SV that was incorrectly listed in the Ducati section. My bid wasn't much (if memory serves correctly it was a little over $4k for a new bike), but it was the only bid, and I won the bike. That weekend I drove from NYC to a dealership in western PA and picked it up

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
buddy of mine had one. he hasnt been on here for years probably. i was looking for gsxrs, but at the same time, didnt want what everyone else had. when he told me to check the sv out, i thought it looked nice, i was into it. so i had my prime choice.

then he introduced me to this site. well, i was pretty much hooked.

went on vaction with my grandparents to visit my mom in new york, where i pretty much blurted out "im getting a motorcycle when i get home, wether you guys like it or not". they couldnt really stop me because i came home earlier than my grandparents.

so i found a used one at a dealer the next town over. went and financed it. my buddy rode it home, and i took the msf a week later. itll be paid off this upcoming october, which is a big deal for me.

went over smoothly with the family when they saw i was wearing all the gear and being safe. and the gas mileage instantly sold my grandfather.

ive been through alot with it. i dont think ill get rid of it. wether it becomes a track bike or i keep it for the street, i think im going to keep it.

·
Registered
835 Posts
A year after my son totaled his first bike (Ninja 250), he was medically and finacially ready to buy another bike and the SV fit in his price and power range. From learning a bit about the SV while helping him research his bike, decided to get one as a track bike.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I did some research. I liked the brand, the realibility, the price, the insurance premium, the theft deterrent vs. other bikes, the V-Twin power, and I didn't want a Ninja 250 as I knew I would outgrow it at some point (even though I own one now, and my senses were right) and once I joined the forum it was a great community so I eventually purchased the bike.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i was working as a lot tech at logan's valley motorcycles in mesa, az in 2001. our sales dept brought in a red 99 in mint condition w/ cf yoshi exhaust and i fell in love. one of my jobs was to ride the used bikes for sale around every other week or so to keep em in good shape. that sv used to put the biggest ****-eating grin on my face every time I took it around the block. i was only 18 and riding around my dad's nighthawk 450 cuz i had no money to buy my own bike. then in 2006 after my first summer job in college i found one locally and made my first motorcycle purchase. the rest is history.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Overall cheapness and support.

Had a gs500 but wanted fuel injection. My sv was half the cost of a FI 600 supersport. About 40% less to insure. And most of all none of my friends had it.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
back in 99, I was looking for a new bike to replace my XV920R, looked at several bikes, Buell, Triumph Tiger, then went to BCM in Laconia to look at a Monster 750, it was actually Bruce that told me about the new Suzuki that was out and I should go to a Suzuki dealer to look at one

·
Registered
546 Posts
Spent most of last year searching (mindlessly browsing) Craigslist for a bike. Decided I wanted something "naked" and narrowed my search to Honda 599's and SV's. Since I had been saving most of the year, I took the MSF course and called up a few people to let me come check out their bikes that were for sale. Couldnt get over the vibration issues on ALL of the 599's I looked at so I once again narrowed my search down to SV's, but expanded my search radius... Then, after about 2 months of browsing forums, Ebay, and Craigslist... BAM! There she was. Picked her up that same day.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I wanted to get a 2008+ 250r for a beginner bike but talking to friends and MSF instructor they told me I would out grow it within a month and told me to get a 600 but I did not want that much power and then I find a SV online and it seemed perfect...became a member of svrider and read up on it and found it would be a great beginner bike as well as a bike I would probably not get tired of...so I started the search and found one in my price range and went and got it the next day

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I bought mine new in 08. After looking at bikes available the SVS seemed to be the best mid-size sport bike to turn into my vision of a mid-size ST ride and I haven't been disappointed in my decision thus far. It has done everything I wanted it to do and more.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I was a member of another forum that had an automotive section. In that automotive section there was a perpetual bike thread. 'Golly motorcycles sure look like fun!.'

That got me started on motorcycles, then by chance a member from that forum was selling his 08' 650S for only $3,500. Now it's mine.

This cool story brought to you by Bro Inc.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Once my niece (and now nieces) were born, I decided it was time to smarten the **** up with my street bikes because I love being an uncle more than anything else in my life. Sold my street-terrorist 07 GSXR1000 and went to a CRF sumo. Realized I'd gone too far to the slow-side and wanted to enjoy touring again.

I debated on getting a DR650 cast-iron motard but I knew a part of me wanted a stout standard again (having grown up on multiple Honda CBs).

I owned a curvy in college for a short time and knew the SV was a great bike. On a Friday I started hitting up local ads. Saturday morning I checked out a CB750F that ended up being a basket case. Saturday evening I checked out a clean SV being sold buy the brother of the owner. He was a cool guy, we shared track stories as he runs a ZX6R track bike for himself and a wee ninja for the wife. Picked the bike up Monday after work and it became my DD / commuter / track **** / tourer, replacing my 04 GSXR 1000 track bike.

For the local twisties (which isn't much), I'm still quick enough when running with my buddies (...now with less wheelies). On the track, it's constant cat and mouse. I'm a cat in the corners and a mouse in the straights. It's fun. My SV's a dirty **** that does everything I tell it to. And I <3 her to bits.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts