Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy new brakes for the new season, what brand should I purchase? Should I also take the calipers off and clean them while I am at it? I heard hot soapy water works well.

I have also purchased aftermarket rearsets from svracingparts and have to hook up the rear brake pressure switch. Is that a messy job or is there a trick to completing it cleanly?

Should I also replace the brake fluid? I have an 06 with 7500 miles, is it about time to chang the fluid? Any advice is much appreciated, Thanks to all in advance.

· Registered
6,557 Posts
Brand - Can't help. I've had excellent luck with stock parts, but I'm not on the track.
Clean - If they're dirty. clean them. You can use soapy water on the outside, just don't get any inside. Bra-Kleen is a good, safe product to clean inside and outside of the calipers.
Pressure switch - The way to do it cleanly is to have an adequate supply of clean rags handy. Some fluid will escape, period.
Change fluid - My rule of thumb is to change out the brake fluid once a year. This is easily done by gravity bleeding with clean fluid in the reservoir, keep filling reservoir until clean fluid is coming out of the calipers (one caliper at a time).

· Registered
999 Posts
Replace the Fluid.

The pressure switch took 15 minutes with a broken collar bone for me.

I opt to tell you Tokico HH pads are really good.
EBC HH's are good too.
Blair at SVracing sells them.

BTW I have nearly new ones for you if you want, I upgraded to a GSXR fork and brake last season.

· Registered
999 Posts
What Andy said. He's the registered Anal clean freak here and testing freak.
No offense Andy. (Its a good thing)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.