Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your essential mods to squeeze that last horsepower out??

Now before someone says it; i know the SV isn't a sports bike, and i know the motor doesn't have a load of spare BHP to give.

But what are the little mods than find you horsepower?
Things you have found an improvement with.

Im talking;
fitting an Air filter? (k&n for example),
doing the snorkel mod (taking it off? fitting a sv1000?),
carrying out air box mods?
removing the SAS? (any improvements?)
changing the spark plugs for the Iridium equivalents?

Discuss............................................................

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
:dontknow:....lose weight (if you are carrying any). Best mod you can do for noticeable gains.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The best horsepower mod is a new sport bike.....

It just takes too much money to make this bike have any real noticible power gains.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Just one note... The SV650 IS a sports bike.

It is a sport oriented motorcycle, maybe not as much as a GSX-R600 but still a sport bike, atleast the S is. You could call the naked a standard but its very sporty.

Sport bike doesnt mean fast, it means it comes from racing roots, just because its a twin doesnt mean its not a sport bike...

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
I guess I'll revive this thread... it is not too old anyway

I got a full M4 exhaust.. because of the quality and for performance.. as well as the sound... but didn't notice a huge change... put on a pcIII with M4 map and it was a bit better...

but comtrary to what some say.... I took the airbox snorkel out of my 2006 SV650s and it was like the bike was just waiting for that change.. the filter is stock but there was a huge difference in the pull up to about 140kph or so... after that it was about the same.. or maybe a slight but not noticeable decrease in extreme top end speed... but the power is about the same...

I rarely ride over 100mph... and most of my rpm useage is between 3000 and 9000 rpm...

and the difference is very noticeable, the front end feels almost like when I went up 2 teeth on the rear sprocket of my 99...

I think my bike needed the bigger inlet what with the power commander giving more gas and the exhaust opened up...

I'll probably put the SV1000 snorkel in it just to be on the safe side with regard to water... but I never thought this would make that much difference..

I did desnorkel the K&N filter I had on my 99 and it too made more noise but didn't get really any power difference... maybe a little once I rejetted... but the only thing I noticed there was noise...

with this it is no placebo or noise=hp thinking going on here.. I am going just on pure feel of it... the nose is lighter and I feel a lot more pull and quicker throttle response now in all rpm ranges up to about 9000 where after it is more or less the same as stock....

other than that you won't make really any more hp without serious engine mods and further intake mods...

Oh... and I had a good easter dinner this weekend.. and have been drinking a lot of beer... plus I haven't taken a dump yet today... so if anything.. I am a couple pounds heavier.... imagine if I pinched one off... kept to a normal diet and perhaps was a pound or so less.... I'd probably be doing wheelies all day by now....;D

well not really.. hahahaha but my bike responds better witout the snorkel in it right now...

·
Registered
55 Posts
^ That makes sense, if you increase the fuel and the exhaust - you probably were restricted on the intake. But then you're into it for another what - 1k? And you maybe got 5hp or so for your troubles. I've thought about doing the same myself, but the dyno charts tell the story there - it's just not worth the cash to me.

·
Registered
9,562 Posts
weight loss.

on yourself and the bike.

·
Registered
467 Posts
what kind of power gains do people see that swap sv pistons for busa pistons? seems like a cheap mod for increased compression

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing. I have seen, where there are 2 different bore sizes for the Busa pistons. 81mm, and 84mm. I still don't know what the bore is on the SV. Nor the stroke for that matter.

On the intake side, I have read a couple of places about actually reducing the size of the intake ports, to increase velocity, which actually is supposed to fill the cylinder more completely.

As for why spend the money, and time on an SV? Well, someone had to take the time to figure out that the intake cams from a 2nd gen, will fit/work on the exhaust on a 1st. gen..

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
what kind of power gains do people see that swap sv pistons for busa pistons? seems like a cheap mod for increased compression
I'm wondering the same thing. I have seen, where there are 2 different bore sizes for the Busa pistons. 81mm, and 84mm. I still don't know what the bore is on the SV. Nor the stroke for that matter.

As for why spend the money, and time on an SV? Well, someone had to take the time to figure out that the intake cams from a 2nd gen, will fit/work on the exhaust on a 1st. gen..
When you put busa pistons on your bike you get a few HP when you remove one layer from the head gasket ( to bump the compresion). The busa pistons are lighter than the stock pistons.

To fit the pistons you need to hone the cilinders a few thousent for the proper ring clearance.

The stock sv650 bore + 81mm.
There are more bore sizes, the 84mm is a overbore piston.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
^ That makes sense, if you increase the fuel and the exhaust - you probably were restricted on the intake. But then you're into it for another what - 1k? And you maybe got 5hp or so for your troubles. I've thought about doing the same myself, but the dyno charts tell the story there - it's just not worth the cash to me.

Yeah.. probably about 4-6hp in the end...but with the snorkle out and running the full m4 with pcIII the bike finally came to life and it not only looks better, it also sounds better...

it isn't always about peak hp gains though.... after the full m4, power commander, and yanking the inlet snorkle on the air box the bike has waaay more useable mid range power... and it is much more fun to ride.. as well as responsive...

so even if the top power was not much more.. my torque curve is much nicer and useable for my riding... I probably spent an extra $450-550 over just getting the slip on... but I drove an 2008 SV with only a slip on and it was not nearly as much fun as mine is now... and my bike was just too bland when it was stock...

Sure it is not like adding a turbo or some freaky engine modifications but for me the minor mods I did is worth it and I didn't have to take it in to a shop.. although a custom map might make it even better

What I want to know is why people who only ride the streets (and not often race the canyons) get the Pilot Power 2CT tires over Roadsmarts or Road Attacks or similar priced, well performing tires... unless you get a good deal it is often 40-50 more per tire from what I've seen when looking at tire prices...

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Lose weight, work on riding technique. To get all the available HP to the road at the right time picking the right lines and having yourself and your bike in the proper position to make the most out of the bikes available power. It's useless to worry about making more BHP when you don't use all that you have already. At least I know I don't, riding on the street all the time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts