Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have been lurking the website for some time now but never posted. Well I have finally bought my SV after learning to ride on this:

Two weeks ago I bought this SV with 17,000 miles for 3100:
Mods are:
Corbin seat
LSL bar raisers
Stainless steel front brake lines
K&N air filter
An older guy owned it who must have toured on the motorcycle

So after putting 400 miles in two weeks tragedy struck...
I was riding down the road doing 25-30 MPH when out of nowhere an over-the-street wire fell on top of me and two things happened 1. I got scared not knowing whether or not it was a live wire 2. it got tangled up on my self and the motorcycle. Result: I went down. :(

Crap, I feel awful. I just scratched my scratch free sv. Now I need a new rear brake pedal, I have scratches on the exhaust, and the front fairing. My turn signal and mirrors did not break but got scratched

I guess it could have been worse. I am completely fine, not even a scratch.

Does anyone have an extra rear brake pedal lying around that they need to get rid of????

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Honestly, it doesn't look that bad. I've seen worse. I know it seems worse.

Yes, you might want to say something to the power company. Do it quick. The longer you wait, they better they can deny that nothing happened.

The brake pedal can be fixed with a drill and a bolt. I have photos, if you'd like a how-to. Basically, drill a hole in the pedal, put the bolt through it, torque it down with a nut on either side of the pedal, and you're done. :thumbsup: Quick and cheap fix until you buy some aftermarket rearsets. ;D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, yeah I guess I could have called the cops and make someone responsable for these flying wires but I just picked the bike up and kept going. I figured it would have been a huge hassle compared to the damage on the bike

G

·
I once rode my car through some downed power lines just 30 seconds after a drunk driver knocked down a power pole. Somehow, he drove away.

Anyway, my car suffered a couple of thousand dollars worth of damage. I filled out a police report, and the cop told me to contact the hydro company. I had cash in my pocket in just a few days. It was pennies for them, and they were just lucky I didn't get electrocuted (or someone else).

You should definitely contact the power company. Their property damaged your property.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
That's pretty minor IMO. I'd replace the brake pedal and just ignore the rash on the fairing.

A new slip on will eliminate the rash on that giant can.

One more thing, Motosliders!!! STAT!!!

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong, but that looks like an OEM (and not a Corbin) seat.

I hope the stainless lines were put on after raising the bars rather than before. That right side looks like it's pulled tight.

·
Registered
184 Posts
First off that wire could have killed you - if you choose not to report what happened you're making a mistake (My opinion of course) And the longer you wait the easier it will be for them (power company) to say well you are ok so nothing needs to be done for you but we can fix the wire.
The good side of this is you are none the worse for wear as it just scared you a bit and the bike is ride-able. Oh - DON'T get rid of the KZ you'll regret it later ;D

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Oh man, that is wild. Sorry to hear it. Also sorry to say, the odds of scrathes a scratchless vehicle, seem to be about eleventy billion percent. :( Goes to show, no matter how careful you are, murphy is always there.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Wires are a pretty bad thing to have fall on you. You are both very lucky that you didn't die, and very unlucky with the fact that it even happened. Definitely call the power company and get them to a) fix the wire, and b) (pay to) fix your bike!

Oh and sick KZ!

·
Registered
128 Posts
+1000 to all of the advice here, Glad you were not hurt, like everyone said the damage to the SV is minor. Parts are alot easier to replace than arms, legs and so forth. This thread will show what great advice this forum has, and the quality of the people in it. I hope that you have contacted the elect. company. Good luck man ride safe.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts