Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering what people prefer for track day tires that are not race tires? i really dont want to spend the money on tire warmers and a generator to keep race tire heat cycles down.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
i was wondering what people prefer for track day tires that are not race tires? i really dont want to spend the money on tire warmers and a generator to keep race tire heat cycles down.
pilot powers work well for me, warm up quick and good for wet days like this wed. They are predictable too.Iv'e not tried the 2ct because I run a 170 and they come in 160 and 180+. I could run a 180 on my 5.5" rim but don't like it.And no sv does not NEEd bigger than 160 tire.
good luck

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
pilot powers work well for me, warm up quick and good for wet days like this wed. They are predictable too.Iv'e not tried the 2ct because I run a 170 and they come in 160 and 180+. I could run a 180 on my 5.5" rim but don't like it.And no sv does not NEEd bigger than 160 tire.
good luck
I'm so glad you said something about SV's not neading bigger rears. My Honda Superhawk had a 180 and it was pretty hard to break that loose leavin corners, or maybe because I was using Bridgestones fantastic BT-016's lol. V twins are so linear with there power, its easy to control the rear.

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
Pirelli SuperCorsa are very sticky with little warm up time.

I have used Metzler M3's and have not had any issues for the 3 track days I have done.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Depends on your riding ability, pilot powers work great even in the wet if you have exp try the 2ct or if you have lots of track time or riding exp move up to the power race, or the Pirelli hypersport these are all trackday worthy tires. The new michelin power 1 is coming out so most are blowing out the power race tire you could get the set for $216.00,I just got a set @that price hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Any of the current supersport tires out now should be fine for an occasional day for a beginner.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Whatever take off I can pick up that still has life left. I'm a cheapo ;D Other than that PP's

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Depends on your riding ability, pilot powers work great even in the wet if you have exp try the 2ct or if you have lots of track time or riding exp move up to the power race, or the Pirelli hypersport these are all trackday worthy tires. The new michelin power 1 is coming out so most are blowing out the power race tire you could get the set for $216.00,I just got a set @that price hope this helps.
i just bought a new set of power races tires i been going to the track at least once a month for about 2 years now and all the other set of tires Ive used on the track are take offs and this is my first brand new set of tires for the track do you think i need tire warmers for them just worried about heat cycles? i feel im more exp, pretty quick around the tracks i go to able to keep up with the bigger bikes at least

·
Registered
105 Posts
thanks that was very informational i was thinking about getting the 2cts i saw a guy at the track with them on a sv in the group above me. didnt look like he was having any trouble
Tire warmers are only needed when you have race tires due to the fact they DON'T WORK unless they are hot.2ct's are a great steet or trackday tire they give great cold traction ,done many Jennings gp trackdays in the rain they are fantastic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts