Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Bars on the chasis that save most of your bike/fairings from road rash during a drop. *aka good investment* 8)

·
Registered
469 Posts
MagpieTear said:
Something Suzuki should seriously look as providing as OEM equipment on every SV they sell.
Actually they'll be making money by NOT doing that. New people come in, buy bikes, ride off and drop their new bikes. More than likely they'll go back to the dealer and buy replacement parts from them that the sliders could have saved in the first place.

G

·
I recently bought a full set of frame and swing arm sliders from them.

Very good quality.

It also saved the sv650s's plastics when my wife dropped it from a stand still.

Well worth the investment. Great product. Great customer service.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Motosliders are "Frame Sliders" that help protect the frame in a crash.

Get yourself some soon, just because you never really know when it could happen even from a passerby when parked.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can anyone show me a picture of a bike with the motosliders on?

Also, can you buy sliders from a dealer when you buy the new bike?

Justin

·
Registered
394 Posts
You can find pictures of a bike with them on at the motosliders web site. If I recall correctly, there were 1st and 2nd gen pictures. I bought the frame and swingarm package deal a few weeks back. Installation was easy (One thing I ran into was that I needed a deep socket on one side instead of a standard socket, even with the extension because the socket wouldn't fit down far enough on the bolt for tightening). The frame sliders stick out a little wider than the edges of the radiator, for a comparison. They don't get in the way of any riding position.

-WhiteMtnCruiser

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Here are a couple of pics of motosliders on my bike.

Motosliders are a brand name, they are made by Nate, a member of this board. They are called frame sliders generally. They stick out far enough so that if you drop your bike, the important/expensive parts are often saved. They also sell swingarm sliders that do the same thing.

there are different styles, my hubby has mushroom looking ones that you can see at the bottom right of the British flag on this pic. I personally prefer motosliders as they stick out further and protect more.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Justin1stSV said:
Can anyone show me a picture of a bike with the motosliders on?

Also, can you buy sliders from a dealer when you buy the new bike?

Justin
A large portion of the bikes in the members photogallery http://forum.svrider.com/photoalbum/index.php?cat=1 have Motosliders on them (I reccomend this gallery, but I'm slightly biased toward yellow bikes  ;) http://forum.svrider.com/photoalbum/thumbnails.php?album=8 )

And yes you can buy Suzuki brand sliders at the Dealer. However they are not quite as effective as Motosliders for several reasons. Too stiff, transferring too much of the impact energy to the frame, different mounting point, not as strong as the Motosliders mounting, buying the OEM ones doesn't support an advertiser and fellow boardmember of this site, and other reasons I'm sure Nate will detail when he happens across this thread.

·
Vendor
966 Posts
The Suzuki sliders are too hard for their design style. They can break easily. They use 10mm bolts for mounts instead of my 12mm mount. Yes, it's not much of a diamter increase, but you're talking about 44% more cross sectional area. Makes for a much stronger mount, but I use softer plastic sliders to absorb impact.

They are Suzuki brand sliders, but made in the USA. Indicating to me that the sliders are just a contracted product through Suzuki USA, probably just a contract with an existing manufacturer. It has their name on it, but that doesn't mean it's Suzuki's usual quality.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Buy them.

+whatevernumberwe'reon

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I want to put on motosliders right from the beginning. I figure my chances of dropping it are greater in the 1st couple weeks. But...I don't have any tools. It sounds like you need a deep socket or something.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I put 'em on mine almost immediately - and added his swingarm sliders as soon as they were available. HIGHLY recomended.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Justin1stSV said:
I want to put on motosliders right from the beginning. I figure my chances of dropping it are greater in the 1st couple weeks. But...I don't have any tools. It sounds like you need a deep socket or something.
No. You don't need a girlfriend. :eek:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Motosliders are the greatest thing ever. They've saved me a bunch of money so far.

Edit: Well, may be not the greatest thing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree. Great investment.

Saved me 2 times in a parking lot from having to get new plastics, only the mirrors got scratched a bit.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Yeah, you'll need (I'm sure nate knows exactly what size):

metric sockets...fairly large, 16 or maybe 18, I think? You'll need one for EACH side. also, you will need either deep well sockets or some extensions. cheap crappy ones are not gonna cut it.
socket wrench - 2...or, 1 plus a torque wrench
torque wrench - required for proper installation
locktite (or other brand thread lock compound)
breaker bar - helpful, but not really necessary if you've got a big long socket wrench and a lot of elbow grease

I would think your dealer would do this for you, for a charge, if you really dont want to do it yourself (but I would check with them first). If nothing else, you could get the OEM suzuki sliders, the dealer WILL install those (for a charge, of course).

OR...where do you live? if you're close to someone on the board, I bet one of us could do them for you! I certainly wouldnt mind doing them if you come to my house (West Monroe, LA).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts