Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
saw this on my local forum. RIP. everyone ride safe out there. :(

last night in Long Branch i happened to be on my way home from a gig with my band and i saw a ton of flashing lights on ocean blvd in west end. since im a firefighter and im allowed to be nosey i checked it out. turns out there were 2 people on an SV650 heading north on ocean blvd. a minivan made a left turn in front of them and they hit the front of the van. the first thing i saw was the van. the entire front of this thing was wiped out; they prettymuch hit the thing on an angle, sort of sideswiping it so you could see the engine from the front. the front bumper was laying on the sidewalk away from the van, and the rest of the front was all over the road. then i saw the bike. the bike was split in half at the frame weld. so the front of the frame, the triple clamp, forks, clip ons and mangled front wheel were laying in one spot, and the back half of the bike was laying in another about 10 feet away. since the left side of the bike hit the van, both passengers tore their legs up. the operator of the bike was pretty much history from the get go. he had a superior open fracture of the femur (which means the bone was sticking out of the top of his leg). and he also had an open compound fracture of his patella/tibia/fibia. his patella was completely displaced and all the bones were sticking out. looked like his leg was in a blender basically. his passenger was alive when they got there and she was trying to get up, but her left leg was amputated, and she was in total shock because she didnt even know what happened. i know she was transported to jersey shore and she coded on the way so they were doing cpr when she arrived there. i heard one rumor that she died on the way and another that she was in the OR there, so im not so sure about her. i know she was thrown almost 300 feet and he was thrown about 170. the skid from the bike was only about 15 or 20 feet long so he hit that van hard and he had to be moving just judging from the mangled up bike. the driver of the minivan didnt speak a lick of english and im not positive about this but i think she might not have even had the proper documents to operate a motorvehicle. now she has two casualties on her shoulders and if any alcohol or drugs are detected in her system, or if she didnt have all her legal documents, she may be facing vehicular homocide charges. messed up shit, makes you think about tossing in the towel. especially after seeing all that blood on the street and sidewalk.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
thats fukin horrible man, rip

is there anyway you can follow up and let us know if the female passenger survived? im a lil worried...

prayers to both their families

·
Registered
551 Posts
thats horrible! i have such disrespect from idiot drivers, and sadly in this case foreign drivers!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Not good :(! That is not the way to end a good night of riding. I wouldn't wish that on anybody!! I too have witness two crashes, and that is enough for me to slow down and think sometimes! I hope everyone rides safe tonight!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
We have a lot of NJ members here, I hope it is not someone we know.

Either way it is terribly sad, my thoughts are with their families.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
spuds said:
thats horrible! i have such disrespect from idiot drivers, and sadly in this case foreign drivers!
the rider compounded the situation by speeding well beyond posted speed limits. local forum members attest to a 35-40 mph speed limit. especially riding 2 up, the rider should not have been going so fast in an urban area. you never know who's going to not see you. i think it's very wreckless to put your passenger at risk like that. so sad.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
orangegilly said:
Ronin, could you tell if it was a 1st or 2nd gen? And also what color? Anyone we haven't heard from in a while?
sorry, i wasn't there to witness it so i have no idea. the article doesn't seem to give much details either.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The fact they didn't speak a lick of english says mexican. i think this is going to get worse as they are not aloowing illegals to get DL's anymore, "which in my mind is down right stupid idea" because they are still going to drive except now, they won;t bother ever trying to learn.

and yes, everytime i hear about a crash i think about not riding as much or atleast only at night when there is no traffic.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
That is messed up Song. God help them.

G

·
If the original poster's estimate was remotely close (300') they were most likey over 100mph(not to mention the damage to the vehicle).   A normal automobile driver that is making a left turn at near night/late dusk would not be able to judge a vehicle moving that quickly.   I mentioned it in another thread that people near their homes-residental streets tend to make simple judgement distances and make thier turns out of habit.   If you are WAY over the speed limit you are begging people to turn in front of you, and speed may of been a factor to not be able to swerve away from the bumper in time if the impact was mid-intersection.   Of course this is a tragedy, but I see a lot of strange responses.  With no exact details of course the speed had not been determined but it looks obvious.   One of the big caviats of riding is that the roads that are the physically the 'safest' for riding fast (more rurual smooth roads) have the most danger to a fast-moving rider(animals, lazy turns from not being used to fast traffic,  children, bicyclists and off-road vehicles, etc.   There is really no way to trying to ride fast AND safely on the street.

G

·
lkm said:
The fact they didn't speak a lick of english says mexican.  i think this is going to get worse as they are not aloowing illegals to get DL's anymore, "which in my mind is down right stupid idea" because they are still going to drive except now, they won;t bother ever trying to learn. 

and yes, everytime i hear about a crash i think about not riding as much or atleast only at night when there is no traffic.
Night brings poor visibility of road hazards, drunks(and other people driving wildly), nocturnal animals, etc.  But obviously you can see cars near intersections MUCH easier at night-that is, as long as they have their headlights on.   It takes an entirely different approach as daytime riding does.   You begin to remember tidbits such as Thursday nights being the MOST likely to encounter drunk drivers before midnight(in particular on secondary streets that run alongside main roads) and shopping malls next to 50mph boulevards are likely to see cars moving at 15mph with no headlights on....Stupidity is by no means an ethnic thing.  ALL cagers are out to get us!   I sometimes drive with my friends riding and they start getting more then a little to close to me because I 'know' them.  I will actually yell at them and let them know that when I'm caging im out to kill them too, retreads appear 'magically' between my car's wheels just like anyone elses....

There have been times as well when I go to make left turns and see a motorcycle approaching and not turn and it takes FOREVER for the guy to go through the intersection.  Even after 500K miles without an accident in a car I still misjudge the speed of a bike too.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
This is a horrible crash for sure... but the first thing that came to mind after hearing the description of the accident scene was "how freakin fast was this guy going to mess up a van and the bike like that?" Its a tragedy, but to me it appears that both the van driver and the motorcyclist are equally responsible for the outcome. Its very likely that the rider, if he'd been going the 35-40mph that the limit was, could have avoided the accident or at the very least survived it.

I ride mostly on residential streets commuting to work every day. People pull dumb stunts all the time... speeding, turning left from the right lane, running stop signs and lights, blasting out of apartment complex entrances without looking, hell... even backing up the road to take a turn they've missed! Its a given that this stuff goes on. Anyone who rides alot sees this stuff all the time. Even so, going the speed limit gives you the time to see this stuff before you get there and avoid it.

With all that going on every day why in the hell would anyone speed like that!?!

·
Hall Monitor
2,739 Posts
lkm said:
The fact they didn't speak a lick of english says mexican. 
That's right. Everyone else on the planet speaks english.

Take your prejudices elsewhere.

Bill

·
Registered
89 Posts
bmetz99 said:
That's right.  Everyone else on the planet speaks english. 

Take your prejudices elsewhere.

Bill
Yeah what's up w/ you today "lkm"? I saw your other thread. There seems to be a pattern. Chill out dude.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts