Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I went down yesterday, I'm fine alittle sore but not too bad. :'(
The SV's turning is so tight and such an angle I turned it all the way and couldn't get out of it and just fell over. I couldn't ride it home because it broke the clutch lever and shift lever :(
First I need a pair of cheap but good frame sliders does anyone know where I can get these for less than $50??? and is there anything that you can do so that it does not steer the full radius?? Like a steering damper or stablizer will that make the turning radius not so 90 degree??? Help need to get back on the road, waiting for the levers to come in but if anyone could offer some advise I would apprieciate it. Not many weeks left of riding in maine.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Motosliders are the best value you will find. It sounds like a near zero speed accident so I am sure you will heal quickly. And let me be the 1st of many to suggest signing up for your local MSF class.

·
Registered
653 Posts
SafireEyz said:
is there anything that you can do so that it does not steer the full radius??  Like a steering damper or stablizer will that make the turning radius not so 90 degree??? 
Glad your not hurt to badly. Nothing personal, but single track (two wheel) vehicles turn by leaning almost exclusively above 5 or 10 miles an hour and NEVER by turning the handlebars as you indicated mid turn. If anything, counter-steering a centimeter or so in the opposite direction will increase the turn. Sounds like you may have touched the front brake mid turn and locked up the front wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
glad you arek ok
yeah... +1 on MSF... they will really help you with slow speed manuevers

there should never be any more limitations put on your steering than what is there now... you really need all that side to side turning of the bars to get around parking lots and other tight areas where you might even be just waliking the bike. A steering damper is totally not what you need. Those are designed for more performance oriented riding where the bars might start shaking from the bike setup and riding it hard.

check ebay for cheap frame sliders

and if you can't get yourself in a MSF course... at least try to build your turning skills in a vacant parking lot ;)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
im not sure about your income but maybeh you should think a little bit and spend more than 50 on a pair of framesliders, it may take you a lil longer to save for them but think about what your trying to protect.

get nates, from what i heard they're the cats meow...

my $.02

·
Registered
109 Posts
yup, +1 on MSF. Just got done with it 2 weeks ago. They teach you those exact maneuvers and how to slip the clutch in and out to make it through those types of turns safely and efficiently.

·
Registered
73 Posts
-yz- said:
yup, +1 on MSF. Just got done with it 2 weeks ago. They teach you those exact maneuvers and how to slip the clutch in and out to make it through those types of turns safely and efficiently.
hah yeah i just took the MSF a month ago... and i messed up on that part of the evaluation... that slow turning around the cones is pretty hard.

·
Registered
35 Posts
SafireEyz said:
First I need a pair of cheap but good frame sliders does anyone know where I can get these for less than $50???
I'll sell you my old frame sliders for $45 shipped. I upgraded to nate's motosliders a few months back and I have no need for these others once. I dropped my bike in a parking lot once when i was stopped (didn't put the kickstand down and realized it too late, haha) and they saved my bike. No damage at all other than some scratches to the slider and bar end. I was quite releived to find no real damage. Let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
799 Posts
You fell victim to what even many seasoned riders don't practice enough. Low speed maneuvering is difficult since gravity and less gyroscopic effect is in place to keep you shiny side up. Get to the MSF course ASAP and/or check out some books. Borders or Barnes and Nobles usually has a small selection you can look at.

Total Control by Lee Parks has a lot of good information in it. He gives you techniques on how to make extrememly tight U-turns on even big touring bikes. It's all technique and practice. The book has diagrams of practice courses you can set up in a vacant parking lot to practice.

Good luck and get to practicing. ;D

·
Registered
35 Posts
do a bunch of tight figure eights (like full lock turns). That'll help your balance at low speeds alot. It just comes down to lots of practice and if you don't get the time in, you won't get the skill.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
This is where I p[op up and say that in the UK you can't even ride a bike on the road until you can do slow control adequately... yes, there I go. Your solution isn't to mod the bike, it's to learn the bike.

Here's how they do it on our training, this might work for you. First, you do some straight-line slow control. Usually means dragging the rear brake and keeping the revs up a little. Do this till you can ride comfortably at a slow walking pace without any problems. Now try some maneuvers while you're doing it- a slalom round a few cones is a good way to start, then build up to u-turns and figure-8s. It's not difficult to learn, and it's an invaluable skill.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts