Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dammit.

Was going southbound on Rural. Turned eastward onto Broadway. I was getting up to the speed limit (45 MPH) when this lady decides she has to go westbound from the south side of the road. She came out of a parking lot and was slowly crossing the eastbound lanes looking only to the east to see if there's a break in the westbound traffic for her to get into. While she's doing this she pretty much decides to stop across the eastbound lanes.

Unfortunately for me I was way to close to slow down and then swerve. So, I just applied max braking without locking up either wheel and hit her rear quarter panel at a relatively low speed (compared to the speed limit). Put a nice dent in her car and pretty much shattered the front of my bike.

As soon as I saw her, I was shouting to myself in my helmet, "Noooo... not the I didn't even see him argument." Once I hit, the next thing I knew I was on my back with the bike on my left foot. All I could do at this point was scream to myself in my helmet saying, "Goddammit! God-fcuking-dammit." I tried to get my foot out from under the bike, but couldn't. Two kind souls came and helped the bike off me and I got up. I helped them pushed the bike off the road. The driver I hit stopped too.

I called 911 and before I even finished my call, the ambulance and fire truck were there. The cops came very quickly after that and were very helpful. They decided on the spot that it was completely the woman's fault. They ticketed her, and I've already filed a claim with both my insurance and the lady's insurance. I'll be going to see the doctor tomorrow.

Damage to the bike:
One fork ripped open, the other bent beyond repair
Front wheel dented bad
Aftermarket Muzzy stepped headers pinched at the front cylinder
Front fender shattered
SM2 bars bent into a pretzel
Radiator tweaked
Headlight tweaked
Turn signals (front and back) on left side broken
Left mirror broken
GSX-R rear set bent along with shifter etc.
Chrome gauge covers scratched
I was wearing a backpack which had my laptop in it. It got hit pretty hard. It's an Apple Powerbook with an aluminium case. That's probably what saved it from shattering completely. The screen is pinched and the case is warped pretty bad. But it is still working and that's what I'm using to post this right now.

That's all I can remember right now.

Damage to me:
No rash at all. I was wearing AGV AeroSport mesh/leather jacket, Olympia 335 Protector gloves, Vemar VSS helmet and Icon SuperDuty boots. I do have a few pains. My left foot hurts bad. I can't put any weight on it at all. My right right wrist feels stiff. My neck hurts a little. That's about the extent of my injuries now. Wonder how I'll feel when I wake up tomorrow.

Pics of bike to come this weekend.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Re: Went down. Hard.

You'll feel worse when you wake up tomorrow; but you'll get better. Congratulations on wearing the right gear. Better to have serious damage to your bike than to you.
It's a jungle out there.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts

Fatass SVS said:
You'll feel worse when you wake up tomorrow; but you'll get better.
+1. Glad you came out relatively OK. Sounds like the bike didn't fare so well. :'(

·
Registered
197 Posts

Thank God you were able to at least begin slowing down. I would have to imagine it would of been ugly at 45. Glad to hear you made it and good luck getting the bike back together.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts

Considering your bad luck, you lucked out a bit. Glad your weren't badly hurt. I hope everything is adequately covered and you can soon get your bike back on the street.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts

Like someone posted n my recent crash post, glad you're walking and eating solid foods ;)
The right gear makes all the difference!!!

If you're gonna try to keep it and need some input let me know... I've defly put my share of wrecks back together ;D

·
Registered
629 Posts

Glad you came out ok.  I slammed my dirtbike down on my ankle once and could barely walk on it also even with boots on.  Of course the street bike is much heavy but hopefully it isn't broke...mine was not but hurt like crazy.  I had cheap motorcross boots at the time that are as thin as my Sidi Vertigo boots.  I never understood why street boots are thin compared to the nicer motorcross boots like my Alpinstar Tech8's.  

Let us know how the insurance goes on cover the aftermarket items because I have a Ful M4 exhaust coming and was wondering last night how the insurance would cover it.  Hope you have the receipts for it, they sometimes cover it without too much hassle if you have those I heard.

Get better, keep the foot elevated.  Sore muscles like warm water or compresses.  

·
Registered
248 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Glad you seem mostly OK.

I also wonder, did you even consider "laying it down"? You are the first I can recall that just rode the brakes into an object without the "had to lay it down" claim. IMHO breaking to the end is the better choice but I am curious if you even considered dropping it and sliding.

·
Registered
283 Posts

Oh damn! That accident is not much more than 4 miles from where I live. :eek:

Glad you're all right. Glad you were geared up. don't forget to claim the gear and the laptop (the accessories, anyway) as well as the bike. Tells you that the aluminum case did it's job.

I'm curious (please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not trying to bag on you, esp. now) why you didn't go to the ER last night?

Best of luck. Heal well.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
113 Posts

That sucks, man. Glad you weren't hurt any worse, and I hope your foot feels better today.

Good luck getting it all sorted out!

·
Registered
60 Posts

Sorry to hear about the crash Maritan. Not only for yourself and the bike but also that beautiful laptop ;) I hope you are able to get back on the road soon. I'd still like to get together for a ride w/some of the SV guys and gals around Phoenix.

G

·

Oh damn! Glad you came out relatively alright. Sorry to hear about your bike too, but hey, better it than you. Take it easy and heal up, then get back out there!

·
Registered
198 Posts

Damn, sorry to hear about the bike, glad you came out of it relatively ok. ATGATT works!

·
Registered
500 Posts

How did you keep from going over the bars? How did you keep from racking yourself? This crash you described is the type I most fear. Glad you came out in pretty good shape thought. How do you keep from going off on stupid drivers in situations like this. Did you say anything to the driver?

·
Registered
500 Posts

Oh yhea in this crash do you think you would have been better off had you laid the bike down rather than keeping it upright?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts