Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yup,
went to the dragon Tues. on my 05' svs, it started raining in NC, but we strill did a couple fast runs. On the way back from the lookout to NC, I got distracted by a big truck, came into a nasty turn too fast and locked up the back tire on the rain slicked roads and ended up in the dirt. I got lucky though, exhaust is done, lost the right foot peg, and I need a new right side handlebar. Overall I got lucky, I was about 10 feet from a culvert covered in rocks. Gotta get the new parts, take the old ones off and go hang em on the tree of shame. Oh, and i have to get my Deal's Gap body surfers T-shirt.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Glad you had a nice time.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I feel your pain, glad to hear you're not looking to replace body parts though :lol:

What kind of exhaust? Stock systems are uber-cheap... the rest of the parts you lisnted aren't bad either.

So do you really have a tree of shame you hang your busted parts from?

V

·
0 Posts
Might want to consider changing your screen name to Knox_Dragon Slayee? :wink:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I hate that for ya. I've done my share of "body surfing" on the Gap and on Happy Valley road.

I'm glad you're Okay.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the support guys!
I got off really easy this time. I'll have to slow it down (at least in the rain :twisted: ) around the Gap.
Since I'm fixing her, I'm gonna do some upgrades, no point to put the stock can back on. gonna go ahead and get dual high mount cans, fender elim, frame sliders, a K&N, and a power commander. should have her completed in about a month. I had a little rash on the tail, but my aplinestars sticker covered that up well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got distracted by a big truck, came into a nasty turn too fast and locked up the back tire on the rain slicked roads and ended up in the dirt.
Not to hijack this thread or revisit an old and annoying thread but rear braking is a complete waste of time and as you noted basically caused your crash. Stick with the front brake only and you'll have a much better chance of staying upright.

WillyT, you can't add something like "I've probably crashed more times than you" to your sig-line without giving the rest of us a chance at the record. :D

Including YSR racing crashes, I have probably met the pavement 17 or 18 times in my 19 years of riding. And that doesn't include the three times I survived a bike-bike collision without falling down. :shock:

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
17 to 18 times?

CDNSVS, sounds like you should learn to use the rear brake to me. While braking real hard into a corner , doesn't the rear end of your bike want to pass your front end? Just a little trail braking stops all of that. But what do I know, I'm just some old guy! You've been riding 19 years. I got ya by 25.

·
Registered
21 Posts
CDNSVS said:
WillyT, you can't add something like "I've probably crashed more times than you" to your sig-line without giving the rest of us a chance at the record. :D

Including YSR racing crashes, I have probably met the pavement 17 or 18 times in my 19 years of riding. And that doesn't include the three times I survived a bike-bike collision without falling down. :shock:

Well, it said "probably" not "Definitely"! :p

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Am i the only one who really wondered, wtf is body surfing and is it easy to do?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
lkm said:
Am i the only one who really wondered, wtf is body surfing and is it easy to do?
are you serious? :?

he crashed and went sliding on the road on his body. hence, the body surfing.

now, do you want to do it?

·
Registered
63 Posts
CDNSVS said:
I got distracted by a big truck, came into a nasty turn too fast and locked up the back tire on the rain slicked roads and ended up in the dirt.
Not to hijack this thread or revisit an old and annoying thread but rear braking is a complete waste of time

We should take advice from a guy that averages one wreck every riding season...

naaah.. I don't think so..

you need to learn to USE the rear brake CORRCTLY... the dude that went into the hill... well you know what you did wrong before you used the rear brake wrong so I won't go there.

for the record.. 10 years on the street.. 1 time down.. and I wail on the rear brake..especially at track days.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Of all my ... "learning experiences" ... about 3/4 of those happened on the track and of those another 3/4 happened on a 50cc YSR which I was trying to make do something it didn't want to, that is to go faster than its capability.

In more than ten years of street riding I only crashed 3 times and two of those were in the first year. So I don't exactly crash all that often.

Even in my racing career, I have only crashed twice, both of which were precipitated by factors beyond my control. So on the track on a big bike I hardly ever crash and I am willing to bet soft bits of my body I am A LOT faster than the average listie.

CDNSVS, sounds like you should learn to use the rear brake to me. While braking real hard into a corner , doesn't the rear end of your bike want to pass your front end?
I know how to use the rear brake ... don't. 8) And no, the rear end doesn't try to pass the front end, even when it is off the ground. 8)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Body surfing on the street anywhere a'int fun and the Dragon is no exception.
There is a lot of traffic up there and it would be easy enough to get hurt. Glad you are not hurt, the bike can be repaired.

Wearing full gear saved my as$ on the Dragon and I am convinced, my Back protector was also a factor in my coming away from the experience without injury.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts