Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just stopping back in, it's been a while...

I stumbled into this place a while ago when I first got my SV. I rode the heck out of that thing! Loved it loved it loved it. Then one day when coming home from school a 70 y.o. lady hit me, almost killed me and destroyed the ol' SV.

Man I miss that bike... But as things would happen, I got another bike. Kinda like an SV, but all growed up like:

It was cool having all the trims and fixins' and all the nice little additions here and there, but I babied that bike. The SV begged for abuse.

Soooo I recently sold my Monster to pay off some debts, thinking I would get out of riding for a while. Even took up a new hobby in Scuba diving! (awesome btw, try it!) But now it's getting warm and the bikes are coming out, this is killing me.

I've had a chance to ride lots of bikes, and even owned a Ducati (something I didn't think would ever happen.) but now I'm back to where I started, lookin' for an SV. They're just so darned fun.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Scuba is fun but expensive too. Still, I wish I would have gotten certified but I was too broke at the time to afford the cert. dives. Good luck on the SV search - that was a nice Duc you had.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Diving is about as addicting as riding is. The good thing about riding is that you don't have to travel to blue water to really enjoy it.

Glad you are fine and good luck on your search for another SV.

·
Registered
973 Posts
if you invest in your own gear, SCUBA is not really that expensive...once you have your
rig the only real expense is gas driving to the dive sight or 30 or 40 bucks for a boat dive
and your good to go.im fortunate enough to live within walking distance to some good diving
but sold my gear several years ago and sometimes i regret it.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
I have to disagree. After a great trip to Central America while in college, I found scuba diving to be increasingly boring. I mean, how many times can you think, "ooh, that's a nice fishie; ooh that kelp sure is pretty?" After a few more dives, I gave it up. One of the few good decisions of my life. Sell the gear, and get the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
I have to disagree. After a great trip to Central America while in college, I found scuba diving to be increasingly boring. I mean, how many times can you think, "ooh, that's a nice fishie; ooh that kelp sure is pretty?"
Apparently just wasn't your cup of tea. Ever see tube sponges spawning? Ever see tubastrea at night? Ever see a whale shark? A manta circling above you? A Spanish Dancer or other nudibranchs? An octopus change colors?

****, I've got to get back to the Caribbean!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Scuba is the type of thing that you just have to enjoy the activity. My wife absolutely loves dirt biking and trail riding but didn't like street riding. She said "I can drive from on a smooth road in a car and be more comfortable and safe". Scuba is great if you just like to relax and enjoy the actual activity of diving. I have done hundreds of dives in the lakes of MN which are not even a fraction of the beauty that even Florida is (armpit of the hemisphere). If you buy all your gear diving is cheap, if I subtract the cost of my camera my dive gear (including my drysuit) only cost me about 3k, and I can go do a day of diving off of my kayak for less then $10

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Apparently just wasn't your cup of tea. Ever see tube sponges spawning? Ever see tubastrea at night? Ever see a whale shark? A manta circling above you? A Spanish Dancer or other nudibranchs? An octopus change colors?

****, I've got to get back to the Caribbean!
Don't get me wrong, my trip to Glover's Reef was one of the best in my life. Barracuda, Hammerheads, all kinds o' pretty fishies and interesting coral formations/denizens, then lots of delicious rum and Euchre at night. But, after graduating college, I moved to California, and none (or very little) of that was there, but Angeles Crest Highway certainly was.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Diving, like riding, has a high initial investment but the cost flattens out relatively quickly (unlike golf!). What makes both sports expensive is that they are gear-intensive and prone to continual upgrades. How many here have their stock SV? How many have their original dive gear? Both functioned quite well yet we perpetually upgrade.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
^^^Golf is definitely the #1 most expensive hobby. At least I've managed to hold onto the same Mizuno irons for the past eight years. I did upgrade the shafts recently, though.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Yes. Please refer to the title of this thread for your explanation (just forget about the cool part, if you aren't in my camp). Besides, I've never won any money scuba diving. I do pretty well playing golf.

But enough about my little eccentricities, let's get back to bikes...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ha! Found one that I'm going to be taking a look at this weekend... Wish me luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts