Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ON my way to class last night, turn off the main road onto a side street.  This area is a construction zone so I am proceeding with caution (all kinds of debris on the road, pea gravel, dirt, rocks, barrels, etc). 

The speed limit is 25 and I am going 20-25, being that I just turned right onto said side street.  20 yards from intersection, driveway on the right with a car waiting to turn left.  Looks RIGHT AT ME, pulls out!!  Try to stop, no way near enough distance to stop, even without the dirt and rocks. 

Lay the bike down, slides into car.  I bounce off the pavement, get up and look at the guy and say " Are you f*[email protected] kidding me?!" :mad:

His response "Man, I thought you were turning right.  You were going slow and your right signal was on, so I thought you were turning into the parking lot."

My response "Dude, I understand what you are saying but it doesn't matter if my signal was on.  The speed limit is 25, and even if I did have signal on, I still have the right of way.  My signal was on because I JUST turned right onto this street.  Either way, you still can't pull out in front of me.

Bike damage is about $1,100.00.  Bodily damage is a little road rash, some bumps and bruises.  Scuffs on my jacket and my gloves, dirty jeans, etc.

Worst part of the whole thing, bars are brand new superbike bars (only on the bike for one day) and a dent in the tank right above the S in SUZUKI.

Fired right up after I picked it up.  Actually still running when I went over to pull it out from under the car...

Man, this just sucks!

Probably going to order all replacement parts from Ron Ayers unless you guys have a better suggestion...

Ride safe!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got all of his insurance and personal info...we have the same insurance company, so it SHOULD be a no brainer.

Guy very apologetic and felt really bad about the whole thing....gotta respect that. Nice guy, just made a bad decision...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Glad to hear you're okay, and that the guy is actually owning up to his mistake. That is a rarity in today's society. It's usually always someone else's fault.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
ah man... that sucks

so did the law come and get the accident recorded? did you swap info? think he should be responsible as it sounds

K

·
0 Posts
Glad you made it out ok. Get with the insurance people asap and nip it in the bud. Time is money.

·
Registered
622 Posts
shekshishekki said:
I hate how we have to cancel the turn signal...i always forget too...glad your aight  :)
+1 Remote control car on Mars. People living on a space station. Instant internet Boards. And no one can figure out a way for a Motorcycle turn signal to shut off after a turn?

Glad your all right.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Make sure you let them know about the damaged jacket, gloves, pants, everything that got a mark on it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
dude,

I hope you have a police report, call his insurance co, and don't forget to list your gear.

any bodily damage? did you get checked to an ER or seen by a doc if you need?

I'm not an advocate of lawsuits, but make sure that you don't short change yourself either.

Glad you're okay.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Manuelcasi said:
+1 Remote control car on Mars. People living on a space station. Instant internet Boards. And no one can figure out a way for a Motorcycle turn signal to shut off after a turn?

Glad your all right.
absolutely right, I thought it was just cause the SV was a lower priced model and my old bike was, well, old.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Manuelcasi said:

Glad your all right.
My $1200 1976 Yamaha RD400 had them. The speedo had a switch in it that would trip after odometer spun, a think, about 1/8 mile. ;D

Sounds like his insurance should be buying you lots of brand new stuff.

·
Registered
105 Posts
my bro's old virago had that thing too, after some distance the turn signal would shut off.its kinda cool, but most of the times, even if you forget to turn it off, it shouldnt be more than 1/8 mile

·
Registered
551 Posts
same thing kinda happened to me 3 weeks ago... AND I'M STILL DEALING WITH THE DAMN INS PEOPLE!!! hopefully your deal wont be as long as mine...

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have an 03 SV and a 1500cc goldwing. The wing signal lights shut off as soon as I round a corner. My thinking why most bikes don't cancel is to save $$ and for sportbikes, saving weight seems like top priority.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts