Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I park daily in a downtown setting. I park in a lot with a 6 foot fence around it with razor wire but the gate has been broken for years. I am fortunate to have a parking space that the back of the space extends under a steel staircase with a canopy over the top of it. I duck down real low and ride the bike under the stairs then chain it with my Kryptonite cable to the stairs. I make sure to always leave it in neutral so I can pull the bike out from under the stairs w/o getting on it. The past 3 days I have come back to find the bike in gear. How could this be happening w/o someone putting it in gear? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
142 Posts
As it's close to Halloween.....poltergeist?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Ivan said:
All Suzuki bikes change themselves out of neutral and into first gear when turned off. It's a safety feature to prevent the bike from rolling off the stand.

My bike does it all the time.
ROFL. That's the funniest thing I've heard....today at least. ;D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ivan said:
All Suzuki bikes change themselves out of neutral and into first gear when turned off. It's a safety feature to prevent the bike from rolling off the stand.

My bike does it all the time.
Damn you!  I don't know why, but I was about to consult my owners manual to see if that was true! :p :D  Good stuff!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Come on..... Someone have a real world idea. If somone is messing with the bike what are some things I could do. Like hook my battery up the frame to provide a shock, put black grease on my seat so they get a black ass, you know stuff like that.........

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wouldn't do anything to "get back at them" while they are around your bike. It'll just piss 'em off and they'll probably do worse things, like kick it over. Just tape a note to the peg saying "I'm watching you!" or something. Does your company have any kind of security guards? Maybe you could report vandalism and see if they would walk around the parking lot a couple times during the day if for nothing more than to make their presence known.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Kevin said:
Come on..... Someone have a real world idea. If somone is messing with the bike what are some things I could do. Like hook my battery up the frame to provide a shock, put black grease on my seat so they get a black ass, you know stuff like that.........
umm...you could put a proximity mine under your bike, so when they come close the whole thing blows? :mad:
I donno, i think if they were gonna mess with it, they would have done something else, or you would notice it was moved forward/backward slightly...do you put it so the non-kickstand side is toward the stairs so they cant tip it over?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Does anyone you work with or someone who knows you work near by know you park there?  I've had things like that happen where someone I know was just messing with me.  

G

·
Get an alarm with a motion sensor on it. Or better yet, one of those alarms with the pager on it so you can come out and kick the sob's arse next time, that would be worth the price of the alarm IMO.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'm gonna guess that someone is lusting after having a bike like yours, not necessarily your bike though. To satisfy their desires for a bike, they're probably sitting on yours while making "Moto GP" sounds, pretending they're Rossi flying down the track. While doing all of this they probably bump your shift lever, putting the bike into 1st gear.

To prevent this I'd just get a cheap $20 cover from Walmart that stows in a small pouch and cover the bike after you lock it. I doubt someone would remove the cover just to play out their fantasy. Plus it keeps others from knowing what type of bike is being locked up there.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Are you sure you're actually getting neutral? Have you seen the light come on or are you just toeing it with the engine off?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do wait to the the light before I turn the bike off. I am starting to think it is some lusting after A bike but I am jittery b/c this bike was stolen form me once. It is now like my little badge of honor since I got it back and repaired it. My company has a lot but I am too cheap to pay that much to park in it. A garage also shares our lot so it is prolly a mechanic. If they sit on it I really don't care as long as they are respectfull I guess.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
You should leave the bike in gear while parked. If someone pushes it or bumps into it (accidentally or intentionally) the bike could roll forward off the stand and fall.

Given that the bike is not damaged I vote for the "motorcycle dreamer" enjoying sitting on your bike.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
maybe someones is playing with it, OR maybe someone THINKS their looking out for your best interst....

I prefer to leave my SV in neutral also when I park it, for the same reason, easier to wheel around, hasn't been tipped over yet in 121k. I figure if someone hits it, in gear or not, more than likely it will go down

1 - 14 of 14 Posts