Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am having some problems with my speedometer. It's not simply stop working and I've look around the forums but didn't find such case. So I'm posting my situation here for your input.

Super short version
My speedometer stopped working then it started working again after a while. What do I do?

Short version
My speedometer stopped working after 130mi into my trip to Dallas. Then on the way back it worked again after about 80mi (Dallas to Waco) after I made an U-turn which involved a stop sign. It worked briefly for a few miles then stopped for a few mi. At my last gas stop it worked again and was fine from Waco south highway through 290 to Houston... So I don't know what to do.

The Full Version.

I got my 2002 SV650 about a month ago. Before I got the bike the seller replaced the front tire. I noticed after the tire replacement the speedometer wasn't functional. We brought the bike back to the shop and when removing the wheel it was apparent that the speedometer ring thing was broken. The guy at the shop said he had a spare at home and will put it in for me. He did.
The bike ran fine after that, which was one month and 3200mi ago.

Yesterday I made a trip from Houston to Dallas. After 130mi the speedometer went out and stayed out to Dallas. On my way back today after a u-turn (with stop sign) it started working again for a few miles. Then stopped while I was on the high way at 80mpg. During my last gas stop near Waco it worked again and stayed working until now (Waco -> Bryan -> US290 -> Houston).
I really don't know if the "new" part was bad, or because I put about 3600mi on the bike in just 1 month that made the speedometer thing goes out like that.
What worse I don't know what to do or where to take it. This is my first bike so I really don't know where to bring the bike if I need to (don't want to bring back to where the tire was replaced because looked to me they broke the speedometer when replacing my tire... then put in some used parts..).

The bike was originally purchased in 2002 and had 10300mi on it before it was sold to me a month ago. Speedometer was never a problem during this time (I'm good friends with previous owner).

So anyone has any suggestions or recommendations about this? Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Short version
My speedometer stopped working after 130mi into my trip to Dallas. Then on the way back it worked again after about 80mi (Dallas to Waco) after I made an U-turn which involved a stop sign. It worked briefly for a few miles then stopped for a few mi. At my last gas stop it worked again and was fine from Waco south highway through 290 to Houston... So I don't know what to do.
1. The speedo sensor connector is somewhere under the tank I think. Check this connector.
2. Check the instrument cluster connector.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having a similar problem with my 02s with 32000 miles. Intermittent operation with the speedo finally just dying altogether. I am going to try to find a replacement sensor (used )to swap out. I will let you know if it works, maybe you're having a similar problem??

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
Sounds like you still have problems with the speed sender. Either broken or the drive key is not engaged properly.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
there's only 2 pieces involved, 1 is cheap, the sensor in the wheel, the other is $$, which is the rest of it from the wheel to the cluster.. perhaps they put a used one in, or, buggered the 'other end' when they crammed the wheel back on..

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
... it was apparent that the speedometer ring thing was broken. The guy at the shop said he had a spare at home and will put it in for me. He did.
The bike ran fine after that, which was one month and 3200mi ago.
Looks like your problem is isolated to the sensor/ring since it was clearly broken and replacing fixed it. I'd check the connection first, and reinspect the ring.

Here is how to test the sensor.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Since you mentioned that the speedo stopped working immediately after a front tire change, I'm betting on a cocked sensor next to the wheel: could be simply mis-aligned or it could be destroyed. Check this first: even if you have to replace, it costs less than $20 (?) and as mentioned, it could simply have been improperly re-installed after the tire change.

Very do-able by the casual mechanic as long as you have a way to suspend the front end safely to remove the front wheel. A service manual will help greatly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm having the same problem: speedo sometimes doesn't work, sometimes engages and falls out again, sometimes the needle bounces up and down (when my speed doesn't ;))

Simon

EDIT: Just saw this is an old thread.... My guess is an electrical problem (burnt regulator/rectifier)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts