Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, first post on this site. I've been searching around for a while about this issue but I feel like I'm still at square one.

Over the past few months my sv650 has been making a weird noise and performing oddly only when going up steep hills. Whether starting from a standstill, or hitting a hill with speed, the bike kind of lurches uphill and makes this clunking/grinding noise. I can also feel a slight clunking on the foot pegs when this is happening. I'm maintaining a mostly constant speed of around 25 mph (residential roads) depending on the road I'm on and usually in 2nd gear at around 3-4k rpm. It doesn't feel like the bike is losing a significant amount of power, just obviously needs a bit more gas due to the incline.

At first I thought this was the clutch slipping but it doesn't have trouble grabbing at all during very fast acceleration from a stand still on flat ground. Also while at speed, a sudden blip of the throttle doesn't cause the rpms to spike without a sudden acceleration (which I've read is the classic symptom of clutch slippage).

This issue used to occasionally be present when I would start from a stand still in first gear, but after an oil (and filter) change and an adjustment of chain tension, the issue went away except for when I go up steep hills. Could this mean that the chain or sprockets are worn? I took that chain measurement that the manual specifies, where you measure the distance along the chain of 21 pins (I think it was 21) and it came out to 12.5". I didn't check the entire chain but I did check a few different places.

The bike: an '05 sv650s with a leo vince high mounted exhaust and a PC with what I believe is the correct map installed for the aftermarket exhaust. Everything else is stock as far as I know.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
9,069 Posts
Sounds like the chain and sprockets are worn out.

Any chance this bike has, maybe, ~20k miles with the original chain?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the chain and sprockets are worn out.

Any chance this bike has, maybe, ~20k miles with the original chain?
Thanks for the reply! The bike is definitely in the ~25k mileage range and I believe the chain and sprockets are original.

Is there any test I can use to make sure before I go and take that rear wheel off? Or with a chain that old should I just assume it's in need of replacing?

·
Super Moderator
9,069 Posts
To test, try pull the chain off the rear sprocket teeth at the 3:00 position. If the chain can be pulled more than 1/3 the way up the teeth then it is worn out.

Do the pull test on several different sections of the chain (rotate the whee) as wear is uneven. Generally, you will find one chain section much more worn than the rest. Look for and measure at the worst spot.

Also, if any of the links are kinked, the chain is shot.

But 25k on the original chain is great, you would lose little by simply replacing it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To test, try pull the chain off the rear sprocket teeth at the 3:00 position. If the chain can be pulled more than 1/3 the way up the teeth then it is worn out.

Do the pull test on several different sections of the chain (rotate the whee) as wear is uneven. Generally, you will find one chain section much more worn than the rest. Look for and measure at the worst spot.

Also, if any of the links are kinked, the chain is shot.

But 25k on the original chain is great, you would lose little by simply replacing it.
Thanks for the info 🙂 I'll see about getting a new chain and sprockets set pretty soon. Even if the current chain doesn't end up being super worn out, I can just keep it as an emergency backup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts