Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 01 sv650s with about 7k on it. Lately since about the other day after i tightened my chain a little a weird almost rubbing sound has been going on, but more to the front it seems. I do not believe its the engine since the sound doesnt show when i rev it, I only hear this sound go faster or slower based on the actual movement. Ive checked fairing seems all tight, Chain within specs, brakse are fine i think, tire is pumped up to spec as well so im lost of what else it could be?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Might be your speedo sensor in the left side wheel hub. If you can jack up the front wheel off the ground, spin the wheel and try to locate the origin of the sound.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
finally got to working on the bike and found out the chain was stretched in a certain area and as it moved made that funky sound. All better with a nice new RK chain :)

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I guess the tip off should have been this sound appeared after you tightened the chain. Sounds can seem like they are coming from one location when they are really coming from another. Glad to hear you solved the issue. You've been riding the bike with the older chain for all this time making this noise?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only for some errands i did but otherwise not to much free time to ride or work on it, but an old gent mentioned how sometimes a chain gets too tightened and stretches in the middle, so when you loosen it and get the right tension and what not it may make a sound as the stretched parts of the chain goes over the sprockets. Also I did replace the rear with a vortex sprocket and front with a oem even though there was little wear, figured save me time from having to in the future! Watch your arms when taking the sprocket bolts out.. The teeth can dig in deep very easily:facepalm:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts