Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I've noticed a weird sound from my engine ('03 Naked), not the usual chain and valve clacking, but an inconsistent, papery-rattle sound at around 6k rpms. It's more noticeable at speed, sometimes it's non-existent, sometimes noticeable. I had a loose bolt in the radiator, but tightening that down didn't help. The only thing that has happened recently is that I ran though some salt water, about 1.5 Feet. I opened up the air box and checked for anything funky under the tank, but found nothing... any suggestions? I'm about to go on a long trip and didn't want something to turn up then. Thanks.

OK, I recorded the noise. The recording was taken with the mic on the frontmost part of the tank. It's pretty obvious. It's the hi-pitched rattle... near the end of the recording it becomes more of a buzz:

http://homepage.mac.com/jbhopper/SVRattle.mp3 (1.6mb)

What the hell is it?!!? I can't for the life of me figure it out, anyone with a more technical knowledge have any idea?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Re: Weird sound from motor....

does it kind of sound like the Predator? I have a predator noise coming from the engine, but I only hear it at low speeds

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts

It's your clutch man...your clutch...dammit its your clutch I say!!!!!!!111

..................................................really, thats what it is. When you start hearing that noise, pull in the clutch and the noise will change. Not sure why you havent heard it before, cause I've had that noise since the beginning of time itself. Dont worry about it, it's all good.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I think las time I was fiddling around with it it still made the sound with the clutch in, and I'm 100% sure this sound is new... I'm gonna try changing the oil, checking the clutch and tightening all the bolts.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Spirit of Bunny said:
does it kind of sound like the Predator? I have a predator noise coming from the engine, but I only hear it at low speeds
YES. IT'S NOT ONLY ME.

I've totally got the predator thing going on. I've decided it's my chain hitting my chain guide that's on top of the swing arm. My chain's looser than spec and the chain guide isn't centered under the chain.

I only hear it when I'm not on the gas but not full on engine braking either. And only when I'm going slow enough that there's little wind noise.

·
Registered
63 Posts

I get the exact same thing as billy. It sounds like someone tapping the end of a pvc pipe gently. Is that the sound? It happens on light deceleration or just a little throttle around 6K at about 30-40 rpm.

·
Registered
17 Posts

xyster101 said:
I get the exact same thing as billy.  It sounds like someone tapping the end of a pvc pipe gently.   Is that the sound? It happens on light deceleration or just a little throttle around 6K at about 30-40 rpm.
No, that's different. That's your CAM chain I think. The drive chain hitting the chain guide has nothing to do with RPMs. Only with ground speed and chain tension.

·
Registered
17 Posts

You may be able to tell my bike makes a butt load of differnt noises.

I was able to fix all of them with 99 cents worth of ear plugs. On rare occasion I leave the ear plugs out and fear for my safety due to all the damn noises.

·
Registered
449 Posts

billy said:
YES. IT'S NOT ONLY ME.

I've totally got the predator thing going on. I've decided it's my chain hitting my chain guide that's on top of the swing arm. My chain's looser than spec and the chain guide isn't centered under the chain.

I only hear it when I'm not on the gas but not full on engine braking either. And only when I'm going slow enough that there's little wind noise.
If it bleeds we can Kill it.

Are you sure thats it now? it just cropped up and I really dont want to mess with the chain to fix this.
Could I see if this is it by putting the bike on a rear stand and putting it in 1st? The chain feels like its within spec so I dunno.

·
Registered
836 Posts

I think people worry too much about noises there motorcycle is making.

That being said, Funkdaddy, I think you've somehow mysteriously broken your bike...and it will self destruct shortly.

·
Registered
63 Posts

I just don't care anymore. My bike is not new anymore and it is developing character :)

·
Registered
6,503 Posts

There are several, normal things that can cause a rattling sound. Some have been mentioned (cam chains, drive chain out of adjustment, transmission gears, etc.). The clutch is most probably not it. It is in an oil bath and should not rattle.

Check all the usual stuff (clutch and chain adjustment mostly) and try again. The cam chain gets to a point where it will rattle quite a bit before it "resets" and gets quiter. You'd be wise to check all the fasteners you can get at. Also, ensure that the drive chain has no binding links.

·
Registered
295 Posts

"Get to da choppa.... quickleeee!!!" I bet I've seen that movie 30 times.

Lately my bike has been making a noise that sounds not unlike an upshift, maybe 2 or 3 times only in 1st gear when I start from a dead stop. Would this possibly be my chain due to too much slack? It definitely needs to be tightened and was wondering if this might be the problem or if it could be something totally different. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Well somehow the sound is less now, but moved to 4-5500rpm. Yeah, I'm a paranoid freak. I'm sure if I had a non-stock exhaust I wouldn't hear anything. But I'm heading up to NH for a week nad don't want to get stranded anywhere, as it's a new noise. :)

·
Registered
449 Posts

It sounds like its coming from the front. That I know. Cam Chain? How the hell do I get to that? If it really starts to bug me, I'll try to work it out over the winter cause I dont want to tear into the bike during riding season, and its not that bad. More info- it is tied to the engine rpm but if you rev it past a certain point the noise goes away.

its getting time for an oil change. It probably wont help, but its been ~5k miles since my last one so I'm going to give it a shot anyway.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

mine has a sort of whining sound at certain speeds... is that kinda of what you mean?

·
Registered
449 Posts

PrtclMn001 said:
mine has a sort of whining sound at certain speeds... is that kinda of what you mean?
do you know that sponge underneath the tank? well I ripped that off, and yeah I do hear more of a whooshing sound but I can take that sound. Its the Predator sound I cant live with right now.

I cant get to the Choppah!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

OK, now it's officially driving me nuts. It occurs between 4 and 6200 rpm (right where I cruise at), most notably at 6200rpm. It's a loud, papery rattle sound that is not timed with the engine revolution. When I first start up the bike it's not really there, it needs to warm up. I'm going to try and record it tonight and post it. Need help. Driving.... me... bonkers.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

OK, I recorded the noise. The recording was taken with the mic on the frontmost part of the tank. It's pretty obvious. It's the hi-pitched rattle... near the end of the recording it becomes more of a buzz:

http://homepage.mac.com/jbhopper/SVRattle.mp3 (1.6mb)

What the hell is it?!!? I can't for the life of me figure it out, anyone with a more technical knowledge have any idea.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts