Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to have this checked out as its annoying. Under 3k RPM there is a rattle - not exactly metallic. I just tightened, cleaned, and lubed my chain. It needed it but didn't fix the rattle. I've gone over the front end and didn't find anything loose. It sounds like its coming from half way down the forks someplace but who knows. I wish I had a go pro to record it. Performance isn't impacted but it's annoying and pretty loud. Any ideas that may be obvious for this noob?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
608 Posts
Could be the clutch basket, I have heard those tend to make a rattling noise. Sort of like some pebbles getting swished around in a plastic cup?? But I am not an expert on it by any means, just what I have heard is a semi-common thing with these bikes.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not the headlight, it's tight. If it was this clutch basket thing is it dangerous?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
818 Posts
Not the headlight, it's tight. If it was this clutch basket thing is it dangerous?
Perhaps inside the headlight bucket. You might consider removing the headlght bucket and see if the rattle is still there. The rattle on my 06 SV650N was something loose inside the bucket. It's been a few years, and I don't recall exactly what was loose.

·
Registered
608 Posts

From what I understand, it's not dangerous, just a bit annoying. Hopefully someone can chime in with a bit more info. But I would check out inside the bucket as LT suggested.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
If it's the clutch basket, you'll hear the rattle go away when the clutch lever is pulled in.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Clutch noises are associated with SV1000, not 650 I believe.
My clutch basket rattles at idle (650) until I pull the clutch lever in. Always has.

It's not super noticable unless you're physically looking for the noise but it's there.

I'm betting it isn't the clutch basket rattling for the OP, though. I have yet to hear of someone I know personally being able to hear it once it's in gear and the bike is moving.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
make sure it's not a disc lock attached to the lock carrier on the right side of the bike :p

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had a rattle that bothered me when I first got my SV for like 2 months. This was until I pulled the oil cooler mesh guard away from the oil cooler at each side. It seems at certain rpms this was rattling pretty badly against the cooler! Hope this helps someone else! --MW

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the tips. I pulled the mesh away on the oil cooler and checked for loose stuff all over. I plan on a longer ride tonight to see if it happens and try to isolate somehow. Last night the rattle started to go away between 2k and 4k... Which was new. Anything lower or higher and it went away. I LOVE the sound of the ride when this rattle isn't happening.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I rode for about an hour and a half last night - perfect weather. A little chill, light traffic, lots of room to go fast. The rattle started going away over time and was basically gone by the end of the ride until I was in 1st coming into my driveway at low speed and then it came back a bit. It's annoying but I think I can live with it until my bike gets looked over at the local bike shop - maybe they can ride it a bit and figure it out.

Last night was a total blast. I've never ridden that fast before (1st bike), never had quite that much fun. The only downside was a guy was on my ass for a while - pushing me to keep going faster. I complied for a while (he couldn't pass legally on the road I was on), eventually I turned off and went a longer way - which was fine for me. I started to feel a little uncomfortable making turns at higher speeds than what I'm used to - but I did fine. If anything I suppose I learned a little from it and know I can take some corners better than I thought I might at this stage of the game. I could have ridden for hours more if I had the time.

Joy :)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Well, I rode for about an hour and a half last night - perfect weather. A little chill, light traffic, lots of room to go fast. The rattle started going away over time and was basically gone by the end of the ride until I was in 1st coming into my driveway at low speed and then it came back a bit. It's annoying but I think I can live with it until my bike gets looked over at the local bike shop - maybe they can ride it a bit and figure it out.

Last night was a total blast. I've never ridden that fast before (1st bike), never had quite that much fun. The only downside was a guy was on my ass for a while - pushing me to keep going faster. I complied for a while (he couldn't pass legally on the road I was on), eventually I turned off and went a longer way - which was fine for me. I started to feel a little uncomfortable making turns at higher speeds than what I'm used to - but I did fine. If anything I suppose I learned a little from it and know I can take some corners better than I thought I might at this stage of the game. I could have ridden for hours more if I had the time.

Joy :)
Ride your own ride. Don't let anyone push you - that's an easy way to ride beyond your limits :)

Let the other guy end up as a statistic.

Glad you are enjoying it otherwise :rock:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The other guy was a car - so there wasn't a whole lot I could do unless let him get a foot off my rear wheel. It wasn't like I was going slow or anything - guy was just being an **hole.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
The intake can make a rattling noise that is dependent on throttle position and rpm's. Has something to do with the intake tuning inside the box I think. Did you remove the snorkel? If so, you'll hear LOTS of stuff going on inside the box.:)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is that something I could easily check and fix? I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
The snorkel? Just lift the tank and see if it is stuck on the front of the airbox.:) Many take them off which for sure makes a LOT more intake noise...but performance benefit is hotly debated. The K3-4 SV1K's DID dyno quite a bit stronger with their snorkels removed, but the later bikes had shorter ones and different cams, TB's and some other farkles and seem to run just fine with them as stock. Light throttle cruising can see a MPG benefit with the snorkel installed I believe, but it depends on your tuning pretty much.

Oh....by the way, running any SV below 3K is kind of hard on them and you really shouldn't ask one to make power down that low. You certainly can cruise along flat and level and VERY light throttle down around 2500 (this on the 1K), but don't open the throttles at all! If you need to speed up (unless going down a big hill) better to drop a couple/three gears before opening the throttle. The word is 'lugging' I believe if you are opening the throttle much down that low. The firing pulses are so far apart that the chain is being jerked around and all kinds of weird sounds and feelings can happen. If you keep the revs over 3K and reserve throttling it to higher revs you will find a happier engine.:)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alright here is the deal. I took the bike out tonight in the rain and sure enough, heard the rattle. I grabbed the stock "windscreen" thing with my left hand and sure enough, that's where the rattle was coming from. Brought it home, tightened up all those bolts around it (2 were a little loose) and that rattle is now gone. Bike almost seems too quiet now. Time for a slip on exhaust? :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts