Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I just brought my sv to school with me and everything was fine when I parked it in the parking garage a week ago. I went for a ride yesterday and when I engine braked there is a noise (kinda a clu-clunk) and I can feel something weird in the bike, like something is actually dropping or catching or whatever. From what I can tell, it is fine when I shift down but as I release the clutch that noise/feeling happens. I looked around and can't see anything. Anyone have any ideas what this could be?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Was this downshift into 1st at a speed of more than 25mph without rev matching? You'll get horrible noises and sensations doing that..

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I was rev matching and just to make sure I shifted down when I was only going about 12 mph, same thing happened.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I beeeeliiiiieeeeve you can do a quick and dirty check by straddling the bike and working the front end up and down. If there is any play in the steering neck, there will be a momentary floating sensation (things floating in that moment of free play) and then a nice clunk sensation with each cycling of the front suspension (things coming back in contact). If you have this issue, you may also get some odd wobbles while in motion.

·
Premium Member
4,845 Posts
I beeeeliiiiieeeeve you can do a quick and dirty check by straddling the bike and working the front end up and down. If there is any play in the steering neck, there will be a momentary floating sensation (things floating in that moment of free play) and then a nice clunk sensation with each cycling of the front suspension (things coming back in contact). If you have this issue, you may also get some odd wobbles while in motion.
If you check for anything loose in the front end, pull the front brake lever when doing the check. Use a front/back motion. If you've got loose bearings, they will click.

(I don't think that this is the problem. I'm with the guys that think that it's drive train related.)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone for the responses! I will check the steering head...I think the chain needs to be replaced actually, I think the tension may be messed up but it is pretty worn too. I just ordered a new chain and sprockets, so hopefully that fixes the issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts