Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went a week without riding my (I mean, my wife's) curvey SV650. It had been on the Tender, so I know the battery was charged, but it still wouldn't start. It cranked like normal, but just wouldn't start. I push-started it (first time I'd done this, so it was an adventure) and all seemed well.

I rode it for 10 miles or so on the interstate, but towards the end of my ride it would die anytime I let off the throttle. I made it home, surfed SVrider for a while, and decided to go to the hardware store to get a voltmeter and check the battery as a first step (although I didn't actually believe the battery was bad).

For the heck of it, I tried starting the bike again, and ... WHAMMY! ... fired right up. Rode it, and all is perfectly fine.

I know problems don't actually fix themselves. They just hide, or there was never a problem in the first place.

Ideas? Do I have anything to worry about?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It had been sitting for a week, so the gas was probably only 8-9 days old. There was no stabilizer in the fuel, although 8-9 days doesn't seem long enough for gas to "go bad".

Edit: Before my ride today, I put some sea-foam in the tank just for good measure.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Seems odd that the engine would crank at its usual rate but not start and then be able to bump start. The former uses the starter motor to spin the engine and the latter the rear wheel. Both need spark and gas/air to start. Did you ever use the meter on the battery? Not saying it's the battery, but a charged battery off a Tender does not necessarily mean a good battery. Perhaps just some bad karma.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
If the sparkplugs are getting very worn, the voltage needed to fire them goes up pretty dramatically. Cranking always drops the available voltage and may not have been enough left to jump the gaps. Push-starting doesn't drop the voltage with the starter and those extra few volts might have been enough to do the deed. Or.....magic!:)

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I would check for a loose electrical connection. Start with the battery terminals; are the leads tight?

·
Registered
426 Posts
A few suggestions from the top of my head.

Check:
- Battery condition
- clutch lever switch
- loose battery/ground connection
- kickstand switch (not likely but what the heck)
- Spark plug cap in good condition & properly installed (not losing spark through the valve cover)

Good to do:
- check RR charging rate (at 5k rpm should show approx 14v)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it was the clutch lever switch, it wouldn't be cranking at all.

With everybody mentioning battery connection, it got me thinking. At some point in this process, I know that I removed my battery tender lead. I'm not sure, but this may have happened between my "bad ride" and "good ride". If that's the case, perhaps I had carelessly installed the battery tender lead, creating a fuzzy connection. Then, after taking it off, I did it right and proper.

I dunno, just a thought. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If it was the clutch lever switch, it wouldn't be cranking at all.

Not true, if the connections are corroded or loose you could crank your bike just fine and the next moment it could die just to randomly crank again (loose) Happened to me before. While going about 50mph and have a bike cut out on you in the middle of traffic was no fun but I pulled in the lever and "bump started" it at that speed. good luck with finding out the problem. Maybe a new battery is what it needs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts