Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not wearing gear can help end it. RIP Rider.

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/regio...involving-a-motorcycle-early-saturday-morning

PHOENIX - A 64-year-old man was pronounced dead after being taken to the hospital early Saturday morning following a motorcycle accident in Phoenix.
The accident that occurred just before 2 a.m. Saturday, involved a man who was riding a 2005 Thunder Custom motorcycle, traveling southbound on North Parkway.
Phoenix Police say that the motorcycle drove left of center and collided with the raised median, causing the man to be ejected from the motorcycle.
The man was not wearing a helmet.
He was taken to the hospital where he died from his injuries.
Police say his next of kin hadn’t been notified as of Saturday morning.
They are investigating whether or not impairment was a factor in the accident.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Get back to us when the tox screen has been done. Based on the time of day and the fact that the accident was single vehicle and was caused by him hitting the median raises a few questions...

·
Super Moderator
7,038 Posts
That's your typical "motorcycle statistic" crash - 2 AM, no helmet, cruiser, possible alcohol...

Take that type of common "accident" out of the statistics and motorcycle riding is statistically about as safe as walking (ok, not really, but still a lot safer).

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
I thinks the Freakonomics guy actually showed statistically that walking home when you're drunk is more dangerous to you than driving.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think I agree with nyc rugby and Jay V are getting at. Motorcycle "accidents" that involve a rider with no gear and alcohol are not accidents.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
And why is this forum turning into an Obit column? Do we have to be alerted to every mc crash and fatality?

·
Registered
425 Posts
We had a similar accident here only it was the passenger that got it. She jumps on the back of the bouncers hog, they go a block or so, he hits the curb and slams her into a pole. They were wearing "helmets" and she died of blunt force to the head.
Unfortunately, after CA went helmet mandatory, "beanies" became legal helmets. Before the helmet law, you had to wear a DOT helmet or none. There were no DOT half-helmets then.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I thinks the Freakonomics guy actually showed statistically that walking home when you're drunk is more dangerous to you than driving.
yeah, you might wander out into the street and get run over.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
I remember reading a quote, either in the HURT report or Proficient Motorcycling, to the effect of "A helmet won't help you if your head is rolling down the road." Gear will help to a degree, but won't make you invulnerable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wearing all the gear all the time can save more than injury. For the second time in the past two years I was stopped by the police............the first time doing 92 MPH in a 65 zone, yesterday doing 65 in a 45 zone. After getting a lecture of how foolish I was they decided to not write me a ticket,,,,,,,,,,,,,,because they told me I was wearing All The Gear; motorcycle specific boots, pants, jacket, gloves, helmet. What nice men. So the gear saved me many hundreds of dollars and points on my license. My driving record is still clean.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AoW...What's the correlation between your article and your title? Is there any evidence that the gear could have saved him?

Your title and body do not pair well together. If this were a college paper, you'd receive a C at best.
From the article it doesn't seem like he impacted anything. He was ejected. Which is essentially the type of situation that proper body protection and a helmet can come in handy.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
From the article it doesn't seem like he impacted anything. He was ejected. Which is essentially the type of situation that proper body protection and a helmet can come in handy.

From the article, he died because he just fell off the bike. For all we know, he could have suffered blunt trauma to the torso, causing internal bleeding and an untimely demise.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
From the article, he died because he just fell off the bike. For all we know, he could have suffered blunt trauma to the torso, causing internal bleeding and an untimely demise.
he could also have fallen off the bike, landed in the canal, and drowned, but i doubt it.

in the absence of further information, i think it's reasonable to assume any injuries may have been at least lessened by safety gear. in any case, the title of the thread is valid on it's own, wearing gear can indeed save your life.

(ok, JB, i know you're just playing devil's advocate, i'm bored this afternoon too, but heck, give the guy a break.)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I remember reading a quote, either in the HURT report or Proficient Motorcycling, to the effect of "A helmet won't help you if your head is rolling down the road." Gear will help to a degree, but won't make you invulnerable.
Head rolling down the road?
Meaning?

·
Banned
180 Posts
Wearing all the gear all the time can save more than injury. For the second time in the past two years I was stopped by the police............the first time doing 92 MPH in a 65 zone, yesterday doing 65 in a 45 zone. After getting a lecture of how foolish I was they decided to not write me a ticket,,,,,,,,,,,,,,because they told me I was wearing All The Gear; motorcycle specific boots, pants, jacket, gloves, helmet. What nice men. So the gear saved me many hundreds of dollars and points on my license. My driving record is still clean.
You know what else keeps you from getting tickets? Not doing 20 over the speed limit. Those cops didn't do you, or the motorcycling community, any favors by reinforcing your belief that if you wear gear it's ok to ride like an a$$hole. You're one of the reasons why the general public dislikes us and law enforcement watches us like hawks. Congratulations, you're part of the problem.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts