Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would ask if you all wear ear plugs while riding? I have been reading a lot of articles about motorcyclists developing hearing problems from wind noise. They say wearing ear plugs can help with this. I wore ear plugs this evening and I was surprised at how much they cut down the wind noise. What are your thoughts given the Gladius has no wind protection?

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Always. I get migraines from wind noise if I don't wear them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not only do plugs protect your lugs, they cut out all the mechanical clanking from the engine...

I always wear them - even to go round the block. Bike sounds like it is falling to bits otherwise...

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
I only wear them when I am riding on the highway... or will be on the bike for more than 20-30 mins or so... I don't find I need them around town even with the loud pipe...

It is the wind noise that is the biggest problem... I got a killer headache the last time I lost my plugs when I stopped for gas and had another hour or two riding.... I ended up buying some more along the way...

I don't have them plugged all the way in.. I loosen them a touch... so it muffles the wind noise but I can still hear things in the lower frequency range like engine noises and traffic to some extent...

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Hmm, I don't even pay attention to the noise. I don't wear earplugs and I don't find the noise loud or distracting. Maybe it's my helmet???
Its not your helmet....wear them once, you will never go back.

I live in a very small town, literally at its longest point its two miles. SO going back and forth in town < 25mph no, i dont wear them as i am usually getting on and off my bike so much its more of a hassle for little reward, but anytime i take it above 25mph, i always have earplugs in.

I didnt wear them for the first probably 3 months of riding and it never bothered me, heard about it on this site, tried it out...will never go back. Especially on multi-lane highways, without the wind noise, i can hear the cars beside me much better. Also, i find that i am much less fatigued after a long ride with ear plugs than i was after a long ride without.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Especially on multi-lane highways, without the wind noise, i can hear the cars beside me much better.

I have never tried them mainly for the reason that I thought you would not be able to hear traffic/horns/emergency sirens as well. so it does not dramatically affect how well you can hear whats going on around you?

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
You shouldn't rely on hearing alone, anyway. Use your mirrors and turn your head around. You can hear honking and emergency sirens fine. They also have plugs of different dB rating, so if the 33dB ones are too quiet for you, pick up some 25dB ones, or whatever

·
Registered
101 Posts
I wear them all the time now and won't leave home with out them. One of the instructors at my first trackday I did recommend them and after that it is all history.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts