Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often should I do it? My bike only has 400 miles on it. Is it necessary? When would I know that my chain needs a good waxing? Will I grow hair on my palm if I do it too much? ;)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I put too much on won't it throw wax all over my rims? Is there a proper amount or procedure to doing this?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I let the chain complete one revolution while applying lube,i normally mark the chain with tape so i know when one revolution is complete,my chain has about 17000 miles doing it this way.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Follow the instructions on the can. You don't have to soak it, just make sure to cover the chain.

If you end up getting wax on the rims...Kerosene is great for cleaning more then just chains. ;)

T

·
0 Posts
slappermouth said:
If I put too much on won't it throw wax all over my rims?  Is there a proper amount or procedure to doing this?
go with JCCC on this with how to put it on, mark a link with somthing and run it round once while applying the wax, also, just to help a bit, apply it after a decent ride so the chains still hot and that will help it stay on the chain, i wax/lube mine every 300-400 miles (3 weeks or so). try not to get it on the rims cos its a pain to get off i find and if you want my honest opinion, wax isnt as good as normal lube, but hey, they both work and if you lube a chain with wax a bit more often they sort of equal the same thing.

trick

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bel ray super clean seems not to fling, and as an added bonus it is easy to see where you have sprayed it. Chain does look kind of funny with white goop on it though.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
The owner's manual has a maintenance schedule in it. Follow that. Bel Ray, PJ-1, Maxima all will stick to the chain well. Since you clean before waxing you won't get buildup (Waxy yellow buildup :) Anyone else old enough to remember "Mary Hartmann, Mary Hartmann"?). Kerosene (lamp oil) is the best cleaner.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There was actually an article on the subject on the newest Motorcyclist, or maybe it was Cycle World.

One of the conclusions being that you can just spray it on, making sure to get the whole thing, and then wipe off the excess with a rag. The rag won't take any chain grease off the O-rings or the other internal chain bits where it's actually needed, and there will still still be enough coating on the outside of the chain to protect against rust, etc., but not so much that it'll be flinging everywhere. There's already lube inside those O-rings, the stuff you spray on just serves to keep those O-rings fresh and keep rust away, pretty much.

At least that's the half-assed summary that I took away from the article.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
dietcrack said:
There was actually an article on the subject on the newest Motorcyclist, or maybe it was Cycle World.
not Motorcyclist, I just read it. Very cool article on a turbo kit for a Harley V-rod...170 hp :eek: :eek: :eek: worth the price of the magazine for that article, and the one comparing the GSXR1000 to the Ninja 636.

I use Maxima Chain Wax. Clean with kerosene and apply chain wax every 600 miles. If I happen to go through a rainstorm or something like that, I'll sparingly apply a little bit extra when I get home that day...I dont recall reading that anywhere, just seemed to me to be the logical thing to do.

How much? well...I'm still a bit new, so I may be putting way too much. But I spray it on the cleaned chain until I can see a slight yellow tinge to the chain (depending on what lube you use, it may have a different color). It usually drips on my driveway a little bit while I'm applying it, but not much...no puddles or anything. Maxima Chain Wax doesnt fling very much; I dont usually have much at all on my rear wheel. I usually make a bigger mess on the rear wheel when actually applying the chain wax due to overspray getting on the wheel.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks y'all. I've got a couple of hundred more miles before I have to worry about it.....but I'm think I'm going to take the bike into the dealer for the first service.....since its the most important.

·
Registered
899 Posts
+1 for Bel Ray Super Clean lube. I love it! Great lubricant, doesn't fly off and make a mess and the white color helps you see where you have lubed!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just remember that if you ride in the rain, you'll need to wax the chain more often than if you don't

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
What it does

It keeps the outside of the chain from rusting, it keeps the sliding surfaces between the side plates lubricated, it lubricates the contact areas between the chain rollers and the sprockets.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts