Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this happen to me a couple of times now, but my gas tank somehow gets some water in it after I ride it in the rain. I am thinking it gets in through the gasket on the fuel filler cap, but I am not convinced that is how it is getting in there.

Has anyone had this happen to them before? It rides fine in the rain, but the next day I get severely reduced power until the water gets removed from the gas tank by the engine.

I rode home yesterday from work and about 5 miles away from home it started raining on me. When I got home from work the bike immediately went in the garage. This morning I had about ~3 mins of riding with reduced power before the bike was back to normal again.

I could put seafoam in the tank after I ride in the rain, but I'd rather find out why I am getting water in my tank to begin with.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
The drain tube for fuel over fill or water around the fuel ring resides inside the tank and exits at the bottom rear of the tank via a metal nipple that connects to a rubber hose. If the metal tube is rusted or has corroded causing an opening, water will enter the tank. Open the fuel cap and look where the tube starts and enters the tank and check for any rot through.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
If there is a hole or break in the tube and it's physically accessible, then you should be able to repair with JB Weld or something similar. The break usually is right at the top of the tube where it meets the outer ring surface by the filler neck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are some pictures of the drain tube, it doesn't look like it's too deteriorated, but there is some rust on the inside of the tube.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
It would really help if you reduce the size of your pics. Your tank looks incredibly rusted if I'm interpreting the pics correctly. Okay, I'm not. It's your drain tube that is rusted. What about the rust around the rim of the entrance to the tube? Is it surface rust or can you push an awl into it and into the tank? I would scrape the rust off and see if there is any rust through.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
bottom line is that you need to ensure that water will flow out of the drain hole. Take a straw and blow through that hole, ensuring that its not clogged. Of course the next question is how is water getting into the gas if the drain hole is clear? Are you really sure its a "water in gas" problem?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just reduced the size of the pictures, they should be easier to interpret now. The drain tube is clear of any blockage, I poured some seafoam down it yesterday and it came out the bottom of the drain plug. I will check the rust around where it meets the tank to see if that is the rusted out.

It definitely seems like water is getting in the tank. My reduced power issues only happen after it is ridden in the rain, and water and gas cause the same symptoms that I am experiencing. Maybe you have another suggestion as to how water is getting in to the engine/carbs? Possibly through the airbox?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Are you sure it is water in the gas. You also may have a plugged drain hole where your front spark plug is. That is common on this bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would that cause the loss of power even a couple of days after the bike had been riden in the rain? Would the water stay in there long after the rain in a very dry climate?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts