Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm at work, in the work truck waiting on a red light. cross traffic has a car in the intersection waiting for oncoming traffic so she can make a left. light turns red, (i know because mine went green. as i'm waiting for the lady to complete her turn and clear the intersection so i can proceed, a biker runs the light and slams into her car. knocked heck out of the car, bike flew straight up and straight down, rider, (no gear), flew about 25 feet or so.
i called my dispacther on my radio and told him to call it in, then turned on my flashers and got out to help. lots of other people stopped as well. police and ems got there pretty quick and they ended up choppering him out. he was breathing, but unresponsive, one eye closed the other dialated. no visible injuries, but i don't think he's giong to come out of this ok.
please people, wear your helmets. all the experts agree it's the best thing you can do to save your life. (i know i'm preaching to the choir on this forum, but seeing it makes it much more relevant.)
and for heaven's sake, when the light turns yellow it means STOP IF YOU CAN, not gas it to beat the light. another minute waiting at a light is better than a ride to the hospital.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Exactly, on a few occasions ive had the sh*t scared out of me when i brake for a yellow and the people behind me think im going to go, so they dont slow down.

The one time i knew it was close, it was at night, and i could hear the tires chirping, abs going nuts and could see her headlight line getting closer and closer. Lucky as i stopped right at the pedestrian line i looked back and she stopped only about 5-10 inches from my rear tire.

keep your gear on and stay alert!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Yikes! I usually run the yellow (okay, always) so that it minimizes the chances of getting rear ended. But I'm still learning!

I'm always scanning the hell outta the intersection, but this has certainly given me pause.

Thanks for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Well it always starts small. Its starts out with the split second decision to go. Then before you know it you are just not stopping for yellow that just turns even when you can stop just perfectly fine. Then its not stopping at all when the yellow comes on no mater how long it was on. Then there are many that think "It just turned red, its okay if I go through people will not be going yet". We just creep ever closer and closer to causing a collision because we don't want to wait the few extra minutes.

Take the OP's collision he witness to heart and be honest at yellow lights. It is easy to say I will just run it to save time. But honestly is it really worth that risk?

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
red, i stop....period!!!

yellow, well, check traffic, 90% i roll thru...

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
and while were on a similar topic, when im in the front at an intersection, and the light goes green, i dont just go, i look first.

twice now my light will go green and theres some ******* thats running the red light. ill pause and spend 30 seconds max to ensure im not about to be run over

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and while were on a similar topic, when im in the front at an intersection, and the light goes green, i dont just go, i look first.

twice now my light will go green and theres some ******* thats running the red light. ill pause and spend 30 seconds max to ensure im not about to be run over
for sure.
had the driver not been in the middle of the intersection, i would have proceeded on my green light and probably been t-boned by the bike, who was obviously running that light.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
quick update:

i have been called as a witness in this accident. seems the lady got cited for causing the accident and is the defendant in a lawsuit being prosecuted by the state.
i'm to appear in court on dec. 6, and i'll keep this updated unless ordered by the court to STFU.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
She just may be at fault.

28-772. Vehicle turning left at intersection
The driver of a vehicle within an intersection intending to turn to the left shall yield the right-of-way to a vehicle that is approaching from the opposite direction and that is within the intersection or so close to the intersection as to constitute an immediate hazard.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
She just may be at fault.

28-772. Vehicle turning left at intersection
The driver of a vehicle within an intersection intending to turn to the left shall yield the right-of-way to a vehicle that is approaching from the opposite direction and that is within the intersection or so close to the intersection as to constitute an immediate hazard.
Not if intersecting traffic (OP) has the green light, then in that case the light was clearly red, and the bike should have stopped.

I'm no lawyer though, just stating what I think.

any word on the condition of the biker?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think the lady is at fault, just barely though.... but he may be cited for running a red.

I've learned from speaking to several PO's that you cannot proceed into the intersection on a flashing yellow. The only time you can go beyond the painted white stop line, is when traffic is clear and you can safely proceed through the intersection completely, or if your light turns to a green arrow. You can't just move forward into the intersection in anticipation that you'll be clear eventually. You need to stay in your turn lane, behind the painted white stop-line.

Yellow Arrow - This indicates that the lights are about to change to red. If you intend to turn in the direction of the arrow, you must prepare to stop and not enter the intersection beyond the stop line unless you are unable to stop your vehicle safely. You may proceed if the yellow arrow goes out leaving only a green light and if it is safe to do so, but beware of oncoming vehicles.
Not really a big deal if things are clear and you quickly get out of the intersection, but I see this almost every morning, same spot. Someone goes out past the stop-line, the sensor doesn't register anyone there (while I'm sitting there behind them, but can't move enough forward to trip the sensor) and it turns red, and they're in the middle of the intersection with a red, and cross traffic starts going. So if the cross traffic had been clear, and someone came up to the light and proceeded through it not seeing them coming from the left turning into their lane, they'd T-bone or rear-end them.

That being said, I absolutely HATE flashing yellow arrows. They're dangerous and I've seen several accidents due to the same exact situation. Each direction should have their own timed Solid Red, Yellow and Green (no flashing) when sensors pick up a vehicle. I realize it CAN help traffic, but it also hurts it because people don't stop at the line and screw up signals, or cause a crash. I ALWAYS get caught at lights because people go out a few feet, and it doesn't register anyone there.... so turning traffic backs up. I'd much rather wait 10 more seconds and get a dedicated light to turn.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
yellow does not mean twist throttle or step on gas, it means STOP if you can safely before intersection. If you cannot safely stop, proceed without accelerating or braking thru the intersection

·
Registered
430 Posts
red, i stop....period!!!

yellow, well, check traffic, 90% i roll thru...
+1...I scan like crazy when going through a yellow..I also take the same route every day and know which lights are only turn on green so that helps. But still, this makes me rethink and be more cautious.

I normally wait a few on green to verify nobody is coming and proved to work in my favor. I was at a light getting off the highway, and there's a blind corner for oncoming traffic. Light turned green and I went far enough to peek around the corner and some idiot woman not paying attention almost hit me and the car next to me. I now wait longer to see.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not if intersecting traffic (OP) has the green light, then in that case the light was clearly red, and the bike should have stopped.

I'm no lawyer though, just stating what I think.

any word on the condition of the biker?
that's how i saw it, and said as much to the officer at the scene, but if the law states otherwise...well, it will be interesting in any case.

don't know about the rider. he didn't look good at the scene, unresponsive, one pupil dialated and by the time EMS got there he had blood coming from the corner of his mouth. my co-worker, a retired moto cop who has seen a lot of this, suspected a closed head injury, and they took him out on a chopper. hoping to find out more when i go to court.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
quick update.

i spoke to the prosecutor today, found out that fault for the accident will depend largely on who the judge is and how his honor interprets the facts. some will say that the car in the intersection must wait to allow for any traffic coming through after the light changes, some will say the car waited long enough and it's the fault of the oncoming red light runner.
in any case, the biker is alive, was in a medically induced coma for 2 weeks, and is now walking and talking ok, but not good enough to pass a test for commercial driver lic., which is what he was before.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Yeah, what Randy said. If you can't make it without gunning it, you probably should have stopped. Of course, every intersection presents dangers, and each should be judged as you approach.

I ran a total red once on purpose. Had just come to a stop as the light changed from yellow to red, heard the brakes behind me lock up. No cars were moving, and I made the split second decision that I would be safer risking the intersection than staying put. On the gas, dumped the clutch off I went. Looked back and saw a Ford bronco rocking to a stop exactly where I had been sitting. It was a risk going through, but I honestly believe it saved my life (or at least prevented major injury).

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok, court's over.
the lady pled guilty after the prosecutor agreed to not ask for jail time. the biker was ok with this as neither he nor anyone else thought any purpose would be served by jailing a 75 yr old woman. she will have to pay a fine, amount to be determined later by the court. (her insurance already paid $100,000 and the bikers medical insurance is picking up the rest, $400,000 and counting.)
i had a chance to speak with them both after court, both really nice folks. he's not angry, just glad to be alive, (which we all agreed on). he still has a lot of rehab ahead of him, but is in really good shape overall. turns out the old lady was a rider as well, or at least she was until her own crash made her rethink and give up riding.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Thanks for sharing! I'm amazed at it all...rider and plea. Both sound like they are good peeps. Glad you were a part of it and put it here. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts