Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Silly questions, but...

I have installed a tank bra, which I would like to keep on the bike all the time, but I don't want to be removing it every time I have to wash the bike...

How bad is it if I leave the bra on the tank while wash... ?

Also, the bra I have is more like vinyl with carbon fiber designed texture...

Is there a different bra out there that actually look and feels more like leather finish ?

What is the best way to install the bra so that it will remain really tight to the tank ?

Is there an easier way to mount/unmount the bra without having to unscrew the thank and lift it up ?

·
Registered
973 Posts
i left mine on for a while, rain and all. when i removed it there was a mark from the
water build up underneath on the paint that is still there. its not really good
for the paint.I dont have mine on there anymore.The
downside to having a tank bra.take it off when you wash.

·
Registered
26 Posts
take it off, or else if it's a pain to do so. make sure you put something underneath it so it dries quicker. and clean up the dirt/dust that gets left behind. (for the record, i also took mine off permanently.)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I only wash my bike maybe once a month and have the tank bra on all the time. When I do wash it I take the bra off. If there is a line, sometimes yes and sometimes no, I will use some cleaner wax and it comes right off. In between washes I use Meguire's #34 to spray down and wipe off just about after every ride. But I really only ride in fair weather. My bike is for enjoyment not commuting.

Edit- I look at the paint getting scratched as an expected thing. I do take very good care of the paint with clay bars, waxing and such but in the end I am going to paint it one of these years just for a change. I like it to look nice but it isn't a show bike by any means. I bought it to ride and bugs and scratches are going to happen.

·
Registered
188 Posts
i wash mine with a tank bra on. been doing this for over a year. I recently took off the bra. Underneath was nice and smooth...just the way I like it. No marks, no water stains. I used the OEM Suzuki tank bra...the one with 'SV' stamp

Note, I did give it a good wash and wax before I put the bra on.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i wash mine with a tank bra on. been doing this for over a year. I recently took off the bra. Underneath was nice and smooth...just the way I like it. No marks, no water stains. I used the OEM Suzuki tank bra...the one with 'SV' stamp

Note, I did give it a good wash and wax before I put the bra on.
Well, I got this bra from ebay, not sure if it is the OEM Suzuki bra, but it does have the SV engraved/stamped. It does not have the leather finish to it and it looks more like vinyl with carbon fiber design... Inside it has like linnen fiber finish to it that I know it would take for ever to dry...

I did read the instructions sticker on the bra and it does says to install it when it is dry and to keep it dry.

That has always been the problem with Bra on cars and bikes, paint decoloration, etc...

I think what I will do is wash the bike less often and when I do wash the bike, I will only hose down the lower part of the bike and stay away from the bra. The 1/2 portion of the tank that is expose I will wipe it with a wet rag.

I do keep the bike garaged so overnight rain is not an issue, but I live in FL and it does rains a lot here so I might have to do without it for a little bit...

I do like how the bra looks and its protection so I want to keep it.

I keep hearing people referring to the " clay bar ", where do you get that, walmart ?

Also the McWire spray that was reference above, walmart ?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I don't konw about the bike but I bought a Ford Explorer once that had a bra on it that the PO never removed and the paint had developed discoloration all over it that would not come out.

·
Registered
973 Posts
i have the OEM suzuki one. there is a soft cotton like lining on the underside that takes
forever to dry once it is wet because there is no airflow underneath. You may get away with
shiming something underneath to dry it when wet but i would not recomend it. i like the bra
but its too much hassle. im considering getting some tank pads where your knees
go like stomp grips or something similar.One thing you may consider is washing everything
but the tank with a hose and keeping it covered when doing it so the bra stays dry, then you can just clean the tank with a wet rag. just stay outa the rain, seems like a semi
practical solution if you want to keep the bra on there. if had the option of garaging my bike
i might do something like that.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well, I got this bra from ebay, not sure if it is the OEM Suzuki bra, but it does have the SV engraved/stamped. It does not have the leather finish to it and it looks more like vinyl with carbon fiber design... Inside it has like linnen fiber finish to it that I know it would take for ever to dry...

I did read the instructions sticker on the bra and it does says to install it when it is dry and to keep it dry.

That has always been the problem with Bra on cars and bikes, paint decoloration, etc...

I think what I will do is wash the bike less often and when I do wash the bike, I will only hose down the lower part of the bike and stay away from the bra. The 1/2 portion of the tank that is expose I will wipe it with a wet rag.

I do keep the bike garaged so overnight rain is not an issue, but I live in FL and it does rains a lot here so I might have to do without it for a little bit...

I do like how the bra looks and its protection so I want to keep it.

I keep hearing people referring to the " clay bar ", where do you get that, walmart ?

Also the McWire spray that was reference above, walmart ?

Looks like the same one i have. Like I said, I've never had a problem with it. I wash my bike at least once a month, usually once every two weeks.

As for the clay bar...I use this:

http://www.autogeek.net/motcalgolcla.html

You can get this at any autoparts store...and probably walmart. Takes some elbow grease, but totally worth it!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Is this the stuff ?

That's the stuff I use and have been using for years. I got turned on to it in high school when I was detailing cars and have used it ever since. I buy it at Napa usually by the gallon but lately I have just bought the bottles like above. Speaking of I have to get some more. I also use Meguire's Clay Bar and the #34 as the wetting agent. Works pretty darn good. I use it once a year and fixes any pitting, minor scratches or swirl marks. If you want to see if you paint even needs something like this put your hand in a ziploc bag and rub the paint surface real light with your finger tips. If you feel any resistance or pits go ahead and do it. On a bike it not a big deal but on a car, truck or SUV it can become quite a chore.

Mothers makes a great product also. I have just used Meguiar's for a long time and don't really look at anything else. Just a habit. I would imagine a clay bar is a clay bar, it all about who is doing it and if they take their time and do it right. Just like anything else.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Clay is expensive...

Clay is expensive...

So far I have not been able to find a bar of clay for sale by itself.

All I can find are kits for $20 that have one little bar of clay, a shinning towel and some other quick shine spray.

The mothers kit says you actually need to spray the quick shine stuff first and then rub the clay while the surface is wet with the spray... I guess the clay and the quick shine work together...

Is that how you guys do it or can you just rub the clay on a dry surface ?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Re: Clay is expensive...

Clay is expensive...

So far I have not been able to find a bar of clay for sale by itself.

All I can find are kits for $20 that have one little bar of clay, a shinning towel and some other quick shine spray.

The mothers kit says you actually need to spray the quick shine stuff first and then rub the clay while the surface is wet with the spray... I guess the clay and the quick shine work together...

Is that how you guys do it or can you just rub the clay on a dry surface ?
don't use a dry surface. trust me, you want lubrication when rubbing.....

when i run out of the spray stuff that comes with the clay bar, i just use Turtle Wax's spray wax...or even some water. It works.

·
Registered
973 Posts
svvibe you have re-inspired me, i put the bra back on there friday and rode with it
this weekend. There is rain forecasted today, (gotta love florida) so i put a plastic
bag over it before i left for work this morning to try and keep it dry. i need to invest
in a waterproof cover at some point. looks cool on the bike since i painted it dark grey
and the fake carbon fiber look contrasts well with the fake weave pattern on my gel seat.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
svvibe you have re-inspired me, i put the bra back on there friday and rode with it
this weekend
I am glad, good for you! I think the bra is frikin sexy and useful... I love it.

I gave my bike a dry clean on Sunday and found out that it aint that hard to give the bike a good wash with the bra on it and still keep it dry.

At this point I have both a car and the bike, I rode today, but tomorrow since it is forcast to rain, I will keep the bike home indoors...

Yesterday I used the turtle wax quick shine stuff and for my needs that was enough. It gave the bike plenty of shine with very little effort and it is cheap.

I just don't feel like droping $20 on a clay kit just to try it out...

Here are some pictures of my baby with the bra but that was the first time I put it on so it looks kind of loose...

Ysterday I stretched the bra strings around the intake air tank and now it is nice and tight around the gas tank, These are from a few minutes ego during lunch time at work...

I am just in love with the SV, great bike and good looks... ;D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts