Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Washing/Cleaning products....Methods?

4K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  Currently 
#1 ·
I was just wondering what products everyone uses to wash their bike. How long does it take? And is there anything I should be careful with while washing?

G
#2 ·
Liquid laundry detergent and fabric softener, plus engine cleaner for the really nasty bits. The fabric softener minimizes spotting.

I've had OK (just OK) results with S100, but I had a really bad experience with the similar Motul product* so I don't use any of those any more.

:)

*Even used exactly as per directions, it stained the painted plastic parts on my ol' Bandit horribly -the painted parts were fine, but I had to compound the plastic to get it looking halfway normal again.

#3 ·
I've had good results with S100, but I've found a cheaper alternative-- painted wheel cleaner - normally used for painted/clear coated alloy wheels on cars and trucks. I dilute the wheel cleaner with water 50/50 and put the mix in a spray bottle. It's pretty much a spray on/hose off operation. It's still a good idea to test whatever cleaners you decide to use sparingly at first.

#9 ·
I use a good ol hose, a bucket of hot water with car wash solution in it, and a micro fiber towel. Rinse, blow dry with the leaf blower, then either hit it with Meguires quick detail or go through the wax routine.
Takes a bit of time, but I enjoy it. Good quility time in the garage/driveway with the bike and the dogs. :D

#10 ·
It says in the manual not to run water over certain parts of the bike...sparkplugs etc. I'm just paranoid because I don't think I know how to run water over the bike without it contacting these parts. I'm pretty new to this.

#12 ·
slappermouth said:
It says in the manual not to run water over certain parts of the bike...sparkplugs etc. I'm just paranoid because I don't think I know how to run water over the bike without it contacting these parts. I'm pretty new to this.
You have to figure that if you're out riding and get caught in a downpour, most parts of the bike are going to get wet anyway. I think Suzuki means they dont want you pressure washing certain parts. That would definately force water into places it shouldn't be.

I never substitute water pressure for elbow grease, I usually use a garden hose with just enough pressure to rinse away the soapy cleaner and dirt. Also, I usually avoid spraying the handlebar/speedo area directly. I clean this area with a damp rag.

#15 ·
I wash my bike and all the bikes prior with a hose and bucket of carwash soap.

No problems. Blow dry with compressed air.

#16 ·
gonzo221 said:
i use mr clean auto dry. Works great and no need to dry it. comes out sparkling everytime.

http://www.homemadesimple.com/mrcleanautodry/index.shtml
+1

And cheap microfiber towels from walmart.

Meguiar's three step wax.

I use a kitchen degreaser spray on the wheels, soap and water just doesnt seem to cut it there. It's a little time consuming, but I usually do it last, while waiting on my current coat of wax to dry.

#17 ·
just use some car wash, with wax in it. although, if it didnt have wax on it before the season, i would get a clay bar and get all of the bug gunk off of it first... then go over it with the car wash and wax together. That way, the next time you wash it, the stuff comes right off with another wash. If you have stuff you cant get off, then you can use a tiny bit of joy in spots and wax in place. Keep the joy small cause it strips wax off. Thats what i am doing and what was recommended from the shop. Of course their first answer was to buy the spray on wash they have.... but then i talked to the sales guy, and he says bs... just use car wash with wax as i have told you. Just dont use paper towels on the seat.... that will leave a paper residue on it and you will have to use a brush to get it out.

#18 ·
I've got to comment on the advantages of a pressure washer at times.

chain cleaning.

Once the rear tire is lifted you can spin the chain just from water pressure directed at the sprocket. A steady stream of warm water on the chain takes off ANY gritty nasties that might cling on under normal washing. It really makes cleaning my chain every few days enjoyable(ok, no sexual enuendos).
-Dean

#20 ·
Kerosene (or lamp oil, same thing) and a toothbrush for the chain and sprockets. Kerosene and a rag for the wheels. Everthing else Simple Green followed by a rinse with the nozzle set on "shower". Wipe down with a towel. Any good automotive wax for the painted bits, Vinyl Life for the rubber bits.

To clean all the nooks and crannies it helps to have a couple of wood dowels, maybe 1/4", and some disposable shop towels (the blue paper ones).

#22 ·
got a couple of new ideas I've found since my last post in this thread:

Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish.

The best detailer spray I've tried. Sprays on kinda foamy...feels a little bit oily. I usually use two microfiber towels - one wet with the spray, to clean with first; then one dry to kinda buff it a little. This stuff is great, and is now my prefered method of cleaning the bike (I like using it better than the Mr Clean Auto Dry).

one more thing:

goop hand cleaner! My new favorite wheel cleaner!

someone mentioned in another thread using this for chain cleaning, so I bought a tub for that. While squishing this stuff onto my chain, it occured to me that if it can clean the junk off the chain, it should work to clean that same junk off my back wheel...and it works GREAT! my wheels are sparkling clean, cleaner than they have ever been, with very little effort. I basically just slathered it onto the wheel, let it sit for a couple of minutes, and sprayed it off with a hose. Zero scrubbing.

BTW...it worked pretty good for cleaning the chain...not great, but pretty good. I think I'll probably go back to kerosene for the chain.

#23 ·
speedholes said:
Simple Green works MAGIC.  On plastic, wheels, paint, everything.
+1 I have used them all on the dirtbikes and I will not touch my bike with engine cleaner! This is a BIG Warningto all that think about doing it, the engine cleaner, purple stuff, or any other extremely strong cleaner will etch aluminum if left on for more than 30 secs or a minute and will eat the grease of of your bearings very quickly. The stronger cleaners I have seen turn black painted rims to a nice green color before.

Simple green I have used for 2 years now and never had any problems with etching aluminum or eating the grease out of my bearings...swingarm or wheel bearings. I learned the hard way by using purple stuff and engine degreaser on previous dirtbikes. Nice etched aluminum and bearings with no grease in them in less than a years time. My 03 KX125 all I ever used was simple green and I decided to repack the swingarm bearings after a year or so and they were still very well greased, I was shocked. My 00 KX125...they fell out in my hand and $340 later I learned my lesson.

Bottom line, use a mild detergant like car wash that is safe for clear coats and won't strip wax off like Dawn will do, or use simple green. While simple green won't touch the grease from a chain you can use carefully use something a little stronger for that. WD-40 cleans pretty weel when combined with a brush.

#24 ·
Deaner3D said:
I've got to comment on the advantages of a pressure washer at times.

chain cleaning.

Once the rear tire is lifted you can spin the chain just from water pressure directed at the sprocket.  A steady stream of warm water on the chain takes off ANY gritty nasties that might cling on under normal washing.  It really makes cleaning my chain every few days enjoyable(ok, no sexual enuendos).
-Dean
you don't want to get a pressure washer anywhere near your chain or radiator , the high pressure will blow moisture past your o-rings, prematurely making them fail

the high pressure will also easily damage the fins of a radiator

#26 ·
RandyO said:
you don't want to get a pressure washer anywhere near your chain or radiator , the high pressure will blow moisture past your o-rings, prematurely making them fail

the high pressure will also easily damage the fins of a radiator
Also do not get the pressure washer near your brake calipers as it will blow water past the piston seals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.