Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've got an '03 SV650 with a '04 GSX-R 600 front end, Yamaha R6 brake calipers, and 320mm rotors from a GSX-R 1000.

Unfortunetly I seemed to have warped my front brake rotors, and I've got no idea how or why. When I'm on the brakes, I got a very noticeable chittering in the lever and through the front end. I replaced the rotors and the problem was instantly fixed.

My question is how on earth did this happen, and what can I do to prevent it in the future? I was under the impression that motorcycle braking didn't generate enough heat to warp rotors. This bike is used for both street and track use, running a slow-to-mid Intermediate pace, using either Power One or Power Pure tires.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Don't sit on the brakes at stop signs and at stop lights. Heat really isn't the culprit, it's hot pad material touching the rotor at one point for a long time. The pad material gets built up at that spot and gives the pulsing people associate with warped rotors.

·
Registered
293 Posts
you can add to that the fact that the pads do retain a higher degree of heat, so that section of the rotor will cool at a slower rate than the rest, this is similar to the reason why it is not recommended to apply the parking brake on a car with rear disk brakes immediately after working the brakes hard

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I had warped rotors in my younger days from not putting a spacer in for the front wheel when it was required. Just riding around the block was enough to warp the rotors visibly. Oops :p

Moral of my sh¡tty story is to put things together properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

1 - 4 of 4 Posts