Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a grinding/rubbing sound coming from the front end on the way home today and it was very similar to the warped rotors I've experienced with cars. While coasting to the lights it was very audible, but there was no pulsation in the brakes, front or rear even up to 70 mph. I won't be able to get the bike up for a few days so I can't check run out, but the rotor thickness is still good. There are also no marks on the rotors and the pads have ample thickness. Braking effort and power were the same.

The one thing that I noticed, and maybe because I'm new to bikes, are the rotors supposed to float .010-.030 on the rivets fastening them to the hub?

Angelo

G

·
Mike said:
Then your rotors are straight.

Check and make sure your axle is inserted fully into the right fork tube. If not, the caliper can hit the rotor.
warped and bent is not same.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Ghost Rider said:
The one thing that I noticed, and maybe because I'm new to bikes, are the rotors supposed to float .010-.030 on the rivets fastening them to the hub?
No. Rotors should be bolted directly to the hub of the wheel. 16.5 ft./lbs. I think.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Problem found and fixed.  I got the bike up tonight and after the front rotors were checked for runout I looked at the rear.  I noticed that the wheel didn't turn as freely as in the past, and that the chain was sticking in one place.  Then I remembered that I had adjusted it a couple of days ago. :-[ Re-adjust the chain, wheel spins freely, ride the bike and everything is fine. ;D

Thanks for everyones help, BTW, I know that the rotors are bolted to the wheel.  My question was is there supposed to be lateral free play in the rivet connection between the disk and the hub/hat that is the inner part of the front rotors?

G

·
Ghost Rider said:
My question was is there supposed to be lateral free play in the rivet connection between the disk and the hub/hat that is the inner part of the front rotors?
only by pushing on rotor.there is spring washer on inside of rivet to let rotor move little.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, when i come to a stop and lightly hit my front brakes i feel as if the calipers are pumping. The front end of the bike will dip down some then back to normal, then dip, then back to normal.

What do you think it can be? I totally feel the bike kinda 'lunge' to a stop when using the front brakes. I bought the bike used and don't now how the initial user rode. He did only ride 1100 miles on it, too awesome care of it cosmetically and it still looks brand new. It's a 2003 SV1000S.

Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts