Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was warned that if you do get pulled over for speeding they make you pay the fine on the spot. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
18 Posts
cdixon said:
I was warned that if you do get pulled over for speeding they make you pay the fine on the spot. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
I think that is in montana and that is if they do not give you a speeding ticket, but a ticket for wasting resources or something like that....I'm she we will be corrected by someone that actually knows.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Let me get this straight, you think a 6 month suspension for weaving through traffic at 125mph and then leading police on a high speed chase is excessive?

Not in my book.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
TJ-- The 6 month revocation is for the act of going faster than 100 mph only, not the (felony) evasion or other traffic violations. Those penalties are separate...

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Six Chin Skinny said:
TJ--  The 6 month revocation is for the act of going faster than 100 mph only, not the (felony) evasion or other traffic violations.  Those penalties are separate...

My bad...

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Six Chin Skinny said:
TJ-- The 6 month revocation is for the act of going faster than 100 mph only, not the (felony) evasion or other traffic violations. Those penalties are separate...
excellent reading comprehension sir!!

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ASCSurveyor said:
I love people that complain about getting penalized for doing something illegal. It makes me giggle like a little school girl.. he he... heee hee hee! ;D ::)
Oh you speak as if your squeaky clean mr boy scout.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If he was pulled over on the freeway with no traffic around and lost his license for 6 months I might have some sympathy for him. But, after reading that article, I would say suspending his license is a good start. ::)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Yeah, the problem here is you could be out on the interstate all by your lonesome (70 mph) and wick it up for a few miles into the triple digits, get lased, lit up, and pull over immediately like a good citizen. Could have a perfect driving record and still lose your license for 6 months simply cause you like to go fast. This is clearly targeting of motorcyclists, specifically sportbikes.

On the flip side, you can roll through a red light at 30 mph in your urban assault tank, t-bone another motorist (or heaven forbid a pedestrian) and get little more than a failure to yield citation. Just drive away... ::)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
tonyjuliano said:
My bad...

TJ-- No prob. For the record and at the risk of sounding like a grandma, I agree with you on slamming dangerous drivers and riders alike such as those who aggressively weave in and out of traffic, fail to yield, evade LEO, etc. I just feel that a smart rider or driver who has the machine and the skill level and picks his spot well can safely do 100+ and shouldn't be singled out solely for speeding, but that's kind of a whole 'nother topic.

Nex-- Would you believe that yesterday (Aug 1st) was the first day the law went into effect? Right off the bat, they nab a gix pilot...

Ride well folks, and if you find yourself riding in Minnesota-stan, it's okay to be a little more paranoid than ususal...

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ASCSurveyor said:
Hey man, I'm just saying. It's always the same. Cops bad. Squid behavior good. We all speed, whether it's 5 over or 50 over. But complaining about getting caught by the man doing his job, come on. ::)
So if they changed the fines for 10-20 over from like $130 to $290 you'd be okay with that?? All I'm saying is that the 6 month DL suspension is a bit harsh for speeding.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ASCSurveyor said:
Hey man, I'm just saying. It's always the same. Cops bad. Squid behavior good. ::)
Okay this law applies to car, truck, buses, SUV, campers along with bikes. And riding at 125mph isn't a squid move, its a fast rider.

I can't stand that term squid.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
I agree with you on slamming dangerous drivers and riders alike such as those who aggressively weave in and out of traffic, fail to yield, evade LEO, etc.
So let me make sure here... weaving in and out of traffic, failing to yield, evading, etc, is dangerous, but going 100+ on a PUBLIC HIGHWAY is not. Wow. I just... wow. I don't know what else to say. They don't make a buddy-icon for throwing your hands up, do they? Look, if you want to go that fast, there's places for it. I've seen 'em. Don't risk your life, other's lives, and make my insurance go up just 'cause you wanna go fast. And just for the record... what does the "Q" stand for in squid?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Squid is not technically an acronym. Some people have tried to make it into one however.

Like it or not, if the term fits... My definition of a squid is anyone who rides irresponsibly. That could mean riding with no gear, stunting, speeding, or riding recklessly or under the influence. Its all the same, irresponsible behaviors that reflect badly on all of us. it makes the public hate us, the media badmouth us and the cops harrass us. If you want to defend it by playing games with semantics or making ridiculous comparisons, go ahead. It doesn't change the facts.

You want to go 100+MPH? Take it to the track. Anything else is irresponsible. Maybe the riders in Minnesota will think twice about letting their throttle hand think for them.

·
Registered
276 Posts
There are freeways (Interstate 5 anyone?) where 100mph is child's play. Sections of road so straight and empty and isolated (yet still major thouroughfares) that a 70mph limit doesnt make much sense. In places like that, I really dont see the harm in going 100mph, especially on a modern machine clearly capable of travelling at that speed without losing much stability.

Now. That said..... I learned my lesson with travelling that fast. About 5 years ago I got pulled over doing 120 in a 65 zone in my (first) car. It was 1:00AM, there was no traffic on the road, and I was just cruising. I got nabbed, pulled over, tested, searched, chastized, etc, etc, etc....but I got a warning. Ever since then, Ive slowed down quite a bit. I still speed, but not to that extent. My rule is this: I move through traffic, just a little bit faster than the rest of the guys on the road. If traffic is doing 75, I'll do 80ish, and so on. Traffic around here in the bay area tends to move quickly (when it isnt jammed), so I spend most of my freeway time ay 80+ mph. I've been following that rule for 5 years in both cars and on bikes since I started riding, and havent been pulled over once, even though I've gone past (and been passed by) many cops, CHP, sherrifs, etc.

So, if this guy was doing 125 weaving through traffic (though I'd like to have seen what constitited 'traffic' in this circumstance), prosecute him. BUT prosecute him for the weaving, the massive speed differential, and the disrespect to other drivers. not the outright speed.

Traffic problems are caused by large differentials in speed. If traffic is flowing smoothly, faster vehichles in the left lanes, slower in the right, and no one is sharking their way through traffic, things will be fine. Doesnt matter if the fast lane is going 50 or 90. If people are yielding to faster traffic, signalling, and generally being smooth about things, traffic flows. Now, when you get people who just have to go 20 mph faster than traffic in the fast lane, and will go around anyone and anything to accomplish this, weaving, braking hard to avoid rear-ending someone then flooring it to speed up again, problems occur. Same thing happens when you've got people camped in the left lanes refusing to yield to faster traffic approaching from behind, or people braking unneccesarily. The two problems exacerbate eachother... and voila, you've got accidents and traffic. IMHO, if the police ticketed people who were wreaking having with traffic flow and creating dangerous situations (and it sounds like this guy could have fallen into that category, though bikes do make less of an imprint on traffic patterns than cars do), and didnt worry about arbitrary speed limits, things would improve on our roads.

Just my little rant.

Oh. I also think drivers training and getting a license should be harder. A lot harder.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
ASCSurveyor said:
So let me make sure here... weaving in and out of traffic, failing to yield, evading, etc, is dangerous, but going 100+ on a PUBLIC HIGHWAY is not. Wow. I just... wow. I don't know what else to say. They don't make a buddy-icon for throwing your hands up, do they? Look, if you want to go that fast, there's places for it. I've seen 'em. Don't risk your life, other's lives, and make my insurance go up just 'cause you wanna go fast. And just for the record... what does the "Q" stand for in squid?

ASC-- You are completely missing my point: Location, operator, and machine! You put a younger (I won't say squid, Nex ;)) rider doing 70 weaving through 55mph traffic head to head against a skilled rider doing 100 mph on a deserted backroad county highway he knows well and see which rider comes up dog meat first.

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating a free for all on roads. I am saying that there are smart ways to have fun on a bike that, while technically illegal, are much safer for everyone than 'accidents' caused by legal stupidity or lack of attention...

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
eisenfaust said:
There are freeways (Interstate 5 anyone?) where 100mph is child's play. Sections of road so straight and empty and isolated (yet still major thouroughfares) that a 70mph limit doesnt make much sense. In places like that, I really dont see the harm in going 100mph, especially on a modern machine clearly capable of travelling at that speed without losing much stability.

(edited)

So, if this guy was doing 125 weaving through traffic (though I'd like to have seen what constitited 'traffic' in this circumstance), prosecute him. BUT prosecute him for the weaving, the massive speed differential, and the disrespect to other drivers. not the outright speed.

(edited)

Thank you, sir, that is exactly what I am trying to say. 8)

FYI: Where this guy was initially clocked is a metro Interstate (55 mph limit, traffic flow likely to be ~65mph and moderately heavy).

1 - 20 of 54 Posts