Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rolled the bike into the driveway, and started the engine, and let it warm up. As it was warming up, I put the front fairings back on, I had them off from carb syncing last night. I was struggling with the mirrors, so I turned the engine off via the red shutoff switch.

5 minutes later, the mirrors are on, and I go to start the engine...nothing. There's just a little hiss near the engine area. Almost sounded like fuel jets? Crap, I'm already late to work, so I wheel it back into the garage in preparation to take the cage to work. Now when I try to start it, I get a little "zzzZZzzz" electrical noise as well. It's the same regardless of steering angle, and I doubt I pinched anything with the fairings, either.

Maybe I drained the battery too low, in the 15 minutes of putting the fairings on with the lights on? Maybe there's a dead spot in the starter? Where is the starter? I'm assuming it's an easy fix, and I can probably kick it and get it going.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
could be a dead bat.

did you try bump starting it>?

also the starter is located right above the oil filter. it is that round cylinder with a wire coming out of it.
It just seems weird that it could be a dead battery when I was just running it a minute earlier. Headlights are still on, too. It's just not making the choking starter noise. I guess it could be the battery, as I did leave the headlights on for those 20 minutes while I put the fairings back on, and also for 20 minutes during the carb syncing.

Where's the battery anyway? I could search the boards or my manual, but while it's the topic I might as well ask. I've torn through most of the bike now, and haven't seen it.

I guess I'll hook a jumper up to the battery and try again. If there's still nothing, I'll order a new starter.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
Battery is under the seat.

It takes 15 minutes of riding to recharge the amount of energy used to start the bike one time.

Idling doesn't count into those 15 either. Sounds like your battery is dead.

·
Registered
881 Posts
when you charge the battery and put it back in the bike.
if it does not start. leave the choke off see if it starts. if it still will not work. check all the fuses if non are burned out.

set the bike to turn over flip the swish turn the key the works.

take an alon wrench, and bridge the leads on the starter rely or the silenoyed. see if the starter turns over. or the bike will start from this.
this means you need a starter rely not a starter.

doing this mite just save you $150 bucks.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
when you charge the battery and put it back in the bike.
if it does not start. leave the choke off see if it starts. if it still will not work. check all the fuses if non are burned out.

set the bike to turn over flip the swish turn the key the works.

take an alon wrench, and bridge the leads on the starter rely or the silenoyed. see if the starter turns over. or the bike will start from this.
this means you need a starter rely not a starter.

doing this mite just save you $150 bucks.
Awesome, thanks. I noticed starters are ~$60-$100, and there's a ton of people selling relays as well. I'll definitely check both.

I'm highly suspecting the starter. The headlights and stuff seem bright. There's just no ticking or choking coming from the starter. I'll figure things out tonight.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'd bet its the battery. If your battery was marginal to start with, 15-20 minutes of headlights would drain it for sure. Put the battery on a charger overnight before trying again.. Jumping it will not help you fully re-charge it. The charging system of the bike is not designed to charge a dead battery, only to re-charge a battery that is almost full.

This problem could be exacerbated if your regulator/rectifier is not in tip top shape, and so many 1st gen bikes are in this category. Both of my SVs needed a replacement R/R. While you have the seat off, you should check voltage at the battery when it is running. If its less than 13.5 volts at 4k rpm, you have a problem. Ideally, it should be around 14V.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What year is your bike?
EDIT Opps, first gen tech forum, im guessing 99-02 and you said carb syncing. im dumb
It's a 2000.

This problem could be exacerbated if your regulator/rectifier is not in tip top shape, and so many 1st gen bikes are in this category. Both of my SVs needed a replacement R/R. While you have the seat off, you should check voltage at the battery when it is running. If its less than 13.5 volts at 4k rpm, you have a problem. Ideally, it should be around 14V.
What's this R/R you speak of? The bike equivalent of an alternator?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
It's a 2000.

What's this R/R you speak of? The bike equivalent of an alternator?
Regulator Rectifier, Part of the charging system. The rectifier turns the "alternators" AC output into DC voltage and the Regulator keeps the voltage constant. It won't recharge at idle like Zach said it takes higher RPM's.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was the battery. Actually cranked for a second when I got home, then fell flat on its face again. That pretty much made it obvious. After a small charge, it started right up. It's charging overnight now. I'll be sure to check the R/R thingie tomorrow.

Oh, I also did a underbody/fender eliminate tonight for the cost of 3 $0.87 metal brackets and 5 nuts/bolts. So, about $2.50. I'll post pics later, muahaha.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts