Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided that I'm going to commute back and forth to work on the SV through the rest of winter regardless of temp as long as there is no snow/ice on the ground. Today was not too bad, my only complaint were frozen finger tips. I don't want to invest in heated gear/grips since I only ride 8 miles each way so I was wondering if anyone had any experience/suggestions on a good pair of warm, comfortable gloves. Preferrably gauntlet style.

·
Registered
25 Posts
heated grip it's the real stuff .a very good pair of glove will cost the prise of the installation of the heated grip .

·
Registered
406 Posts
+1

Heated grips are the sh!t. i am so spoiled and never want to ride without them again haha

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I'll have to check into the heated grips. Any suggestions on brands/where to buy?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a fairly cheap pair of leather gauntlet style gloves, I've ridden to work (12 miles away) on days when it is as low as 5-10 degrees and sure my fingertips get a little cold, but not dangerously! I'd say either cheap grip heaters or whatever leather gauntlets you like.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ill second the cortec winter scarab. Decent protection, warm, and not too bulky. I do want heated grips though. Just have to quit being lazy and pull the trigger

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How bout some glove liners?
I gave that a try. I was wearing my regular gloves and couldn't bear the cold anymore so I stopped into a 7-eleven and picked up some of those $2.00 knit gloves as liners. It worked for a little while but eventually the cold found it's way through.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I used to have a pair of Thinsulate gauntlet gloves and they were the sh!t!!! Kept my hands warm even in 30 degree weather.

peace...murfy

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
hire someone to drive your bike for you.. you can ride b!tch....then you can give them the reach around and keep your dainty hands warm down there

:nana:

Seriously... if you need anything more than the cortech scarabs then either it is -20c or colder or you have no circulation....

it's amazing how many people whine and cry about needing grip hand warmers with heating pads in their super duper heated snowmobile gloves as well... oh and don't forget the wind guards and stuff...

I think heated gear is not needed unless you are running in very cold temps for hours at a time...

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Wear some snow ski gloves!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know they offer next to nothing in terms of protection....but I have ridden in 1 degree (farenheit) weather using a pair of ski gloves with thinsulate.

Much cheaper than heated grips, especially if you buy them now that winter is almost over.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I think heated gear is not needed unless you are running in very cold temps for hours at a time...
I don't even consider it a ride if it's under 2 hours

I make my recommendations for heat, cause I always consider that once you start riding, you don't know how long your going to stay out riding

without it, you will eventually get cold if you don't have it. it might not be till after you have ridden 2 hours and stopped for gas, taken you gloves off to slide your credit card then pumped your gas, now your hands are frozen and your unheated gloves will do nothing to warm your now cold hands back up

·
Registered
381 Posts
I don't even consider it a ride if it's under 2 hours

I make my recommendations for heat, cause I always consider that once you start riding, you don't know how long your going to stay out riding

without it, you will eventually get cold if you don't have it. it might not be till after you have ridden 2 hours and stopped for gas, taken you gloves off to slide your credit card then pumped your gas, now your hands are frozen and your unheated gloves will do nothing to warm your now cold hands back up
When the temps drop below 40f, I definitely NEED heated gear, without my E-gear turned on(40f) it takes maybe 15 minutes before my hands start getting cold. IMO there is no substitute for heated gear, once you get it you'll never look back and you'll ask yourself why didn't I invest in the gear sooner.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts