Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm commuting to work this morning, 0615, no sun yet, and sitting at a stop light waiting to turn left. In the other left turn lane a black DRZ400sm rolls up. I give a little nod, he gives a little nod back. Light turns green, we both roll out at a normal pace. Once we straighten up from the curve, blip, and he's got the front end at about 10:30. He proceeds to ride it out with me in the other lane a couple of lengths back for about 1/2 mile. I've seen alot of wheelies, but this rider/bike combo made it look easy. Even before this I've wished I had spare cash to acquire a DRZ400sm. I've heard that they will shred a sportbike, any size, in a canyon. Great way to start the day!

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
StinkWhistle said:
I've heard that they will shred a sportbike, any size, in a canyon.  Great way to start the day!
The handle in a nasty way... a few friends have them, and they just disappear on the twisties.... and Im no slouch.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
1.5 Thumbsup! said:
The handle in a nasty way... a few friends have them, and they just disappear on the twisties.... and Im no slouch.
yah this guy came up behind me and my friend billy one night and we look back se his lights then we look back again and his lights were pointing straight up. i really want a motard now:) maybe i'll get a used 400 enduro and convert it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Duke is so phat. I know others that don't like it, but I would own it in a second! About a month ago I had to let a couple of DRZ's pass me coming down Aubunr Ravine (Hwy 49 from Cool to Auburn [CA] ) and they weren't even trying. You don't even see them coming and then they're just gone.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
I rode with some random dude on a KTM 525 and well, there was no keeping up, it just wasn't going to happen. He claimed it topped out at 130 on the highway, so even top end is comparable to the SV. The best part is practicing wheelies on a dirtbike easily transer to pulling them on a SM bike. When life has settled down for me, there will be one in my stable.

G

·
was riding through Ft. Worth the other day on the 1000, and this guy on a 400 SM pulls up next to me...
you have to reealize the impact of this moment, myself sv1000, my buddy sv650, both of us in full face shoei's jackets etc... and this guy rides up on a motard in full race leathers... i almost laughed til he took off...

2 things tho.. one I'm a big guy 6'4" 250
I look like a monkey humping a football on my SV...
I don't want to imagine me on some dirtbike with rubber

second, 135 is about 30mph slower than i can go, so as long as we were going somewhere over a 1/4 mile... he'd lose

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think i'd feel too high centered laying a DRZ over in a corner though...The tall narrow seat doesn't seem too ideal to me, i'd wanna sit on the tank and drag my heel like i was lacing a dirtbike into a berm (burm?). Would be fun as hell to stunt around on, probably fairly indestructable compared to a big heavy street bike.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lykoi said:
2 things tho.. one I'm a big guy 6'4" 250
I look like a monkey humping a football on my SV...
I don't want to imagine me on some dirtbike with rubber
second, 135 is about 30mph slower than i can go, so as long as we were going somewhere over a 1/4 mile ... he'd lose
so as long as we were going somewhere over a 1/4 mile [straight]... he'd lose

LMFAO!  Nice monkey visual.  Is that the same damned trunk monkey again?  ;D  

·
Registered
597 Posts
Me and Gonzo were on our normal Highpoint run.

We met a 65 year old salty bastard on a old Duke 620. He asked to join us on a run over the hill. Well if you have never been on Rt. 23 over Highpoint NJ, it is argueably one of the best roads in NJ. I was leading at my hot lap pace, then all of a sudden this guy rips past me! WTF, like Nudist said, me and Gonzo are not necessarily mediocre, but this guy toasted us.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
treoff said:
WTF, like Nudist said, me and Gonzo are not necessarily mediocre, but this guy toasted us.
They make perfect streetbikes... almost more so then an SV.  The handle amazingly well, do not get upset easily, and are just absolutely from another dimension type wicked.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That duke looks AMAZING! is it ever coming to US? how much of a hastle is it to get one here?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I had a yz426(street legal) for a little while-I suck at doing wheelies but you could do stand-up Power wheelies in 5th gear! The thing was so light and had so much power. I miss that thing. My neighbors hated me-. even had a cop sit in my drivewya for 2 days

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If my commute ever gets shorter than its current 35 miles, I'd most like trade the SV for a motard.  I'm not so concerned about top speed when I pleasure ride.  Also, the one element obtainable no other way on the street is the controlled slide.  I can't even imagine how cool that would be.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Makes me wish my dirtbike...oh the care free days of beating the living hell out of it and only worring about a broken fender or clutch lever.
Maybe a super moto would be a good investment so i could get all my hooligan impulses out of the way before i take the SV for a ride.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have been toying with the idea of trading in the SV for a super moto bike come spring. It would likely either be a DRZ or a KTM 625 SMC. From what I've ready the drz is kind of low on top end and doesn't like to go much over 80 mph, can anyone else confirm this? I use my bike almost strictly for commuting, which is 80% twisty mountain road over an 8,000 foot pass, with the rest of my drive being a boring 4 lane highway where I don't usually go over 80 or 90 on my SV now. Top speed isn't that big of a deal to me, I've never gone much over 100. It's also about a 1/2 hour ride, some people make it sound like these bikes are really uncomfortable, but it's not like my SVS is a lazy boy.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
dfinn said:
From what I've ready the drz is kind of low on top end and doesn't like to go much over 80 mph, can anyone else confirm this? 
Confirmed... and they only have a 70-80 mile range on the tank.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.