Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey Bent Valve...

small world eh? lol

I think your write up pretty much nailed it. Cadillac style.

I love it when those track guys get all riled up about passing a 'busa. Big hairy deal.. I've done track days on my 'busa and lapped SV's.. Was it because I'm just that great?? doubtful.. I talked to the rider later and it turns out it was his first track day and he'd only been riding about 6 months.

Granted there are alot of posers on 'busas... but there are some of us that came from gsxr750's, and liter bikes that do know how to ride a bike in a spirited fashion. At "sane" road speeds your not going to pull away from a 'busa... except maybe the motards on extremely tight roads. and again.. I stress "SANE" speeds... as in leaving room for some margin of error, or that squirrel, rock, rabbit, racoon, wrecked bike, or truck in the wrong lane.. ect... .. and even at insane speeds that 3 seconds you picked up thru the last 10 corners are gonna disappear the first 1/4mi. straight that pops up.

On a track.. yeah you can pull away a bit depending on your riding skills and the dude on the 'busa... but it's not because of corner speed... it's because of corner entry.. take your braking distance and double it... thats where you start whoaing down a 550 pnd bike.. haha. I once compared getting slowed down for turn 1 after the big straight at VIR on a hayabusa to stopping a church bus full of nuns going downa steep ill on ice covered roads... it just ain't gonna happen all that fast. Your squeezing the hell outta the brakes,, and the speedo is coming down.. it just takes a helluva long time to come from 170 back down to 45ish.

With the right tires, and right suspension set up, and the right mindset a 'busa can be very close to the same corner speeds. Well close enough for anythign other than full out racing.. which isn't what it was supposed to do anyway. Besides... if it were full out racing a SV isn't going to be on the track at the same time a 'busa is anyway.

As far as dragracing the 'busa... yeah I guess it's ok... I suck at it.. and it still annihilates anything less than a 2000+ liter bike. Seriously... the fastest pass I ever made was like a measely 10.4 @137 or so.. in 'busa circles... that sucks. I've met guys that ran 9.9s their first trip to a track on the 'busa.. in stock form. I just ain't into drag racing that much though.. too little actual running the bike.. too much sit around and wait.

All that being said... I'm supposed to be trading a ducati 750 monster for a sv650s in about a week. I'll let ya know the other side of the coin.. haha from a 'busa to a SVS.. Although it won't be as interesting.. The SV.. i'm almost positive is going to be sorta like the monster... with more power of course.. very fun, very competent, and very slow compared to the other bike in the garage.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
CDNSVS said:
So the idea of any street rider "outgrowing" a bike like the SV is outright ludicrous. Street riders just haven't got a clue what it means to ride a bike to even 50% of its limits.
You know, there's this whole big world of motorcycling outside of road race courses and street roads like Deal's Gap. Sure, most of us street riders may not even be able to ride the EX250 to its limits in terms of cornering or taking twisties. However, there's more to street riding than taking corners. The 250 would suck for me not because I can't ride it to its limits at Deal's, but because it leaves a lot to be desired at the highway speeds I ride at most of the time.

The same goes for something like this. It's easy to ride an SV to its limits if the type of riding you enjoy doing involves getting above 60 (or above 100) and whacking the throttle open. If that's your thing, then the SV is the wrong bike, so get a Busa. It doesn't matter if you can't ride the SV to its limits at Deals or a track because you probably won't see Deals or a track except for once a year.

It's great that you do so well at the track, but don't think that your kind of riding is the core of all that is motorcycling, with everything else being inferior. You may kick everyone elses asses on a road course, but I'm willing to bet that there are several riders here who could ride safer than you on a street. What comes to mind is the commuters or people who spend a lot of time in and around traffic, on cross country trips, etc. You'd probably suck against some of us who spend a fair bit of time drag racing (I don't know, maybe you're a drag racer too, but I kind of doubt it). I'm sure that if you and I, or you and RandyO, or whatever went on a several day motorcycle tour, you'd probably learn more from us than we would from you about long trips on a motorcycle.

I'm not trying to criticize you or start a fight. All I'm saying is that there's a lot to the sport of motorcycling, and just because somebody isn't as skilled as a racer on a track doesn't mean that they aren't competent motorcyclists and doesn't mean that they are less of a good motorcyclist as you. They are good riders, and probably better than you at different areas. Different strokes for different folks, right?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I don't own a Hyabusa, but I do own a ZZR1200, which is similar enough that I feel I can make a couple of comments.

Whether a person is safe with twice the horsepower of a SV650 depends on a lot more than whether he has a couple years of riding experience. In retrospect, I wish I had started riding on my KLR650, which has half the hp of the SV, rather than my SV. How can you really learn to ride well if you can't ring the bike to its limits? Since you can't hope to do that on a machine of this class, you'd better have developed all of your necessary skills on a smaller bike, because if you get in over your head on a 140+ hp bike, it's too late to learn then. Even if you have all the necessary skills, it takes a certain maturity, not necessarily age or even experience related, to ride a bike of this performance capability safely.

I love the big sport-oriented tourer on long freeway-oriented rides. But for the majority of my rides, I prefer the SV or KLR. They are frankly more fun to ride at legal speeds, and then some.

And when you consider things beyond ride differences, there is no comparison. For instance, how much did you pay for your SV versus the Hayabusa? How much is the insurance differential for full coverage? What is the gas milage differential? If you're made of money it may be inconsequential. For most of us it isn't.

And if you work on your own bike, like I do. There is a world of difference between a mid-sized V-twin and a liter-plus I4. My big Zed is the first bike I've ever owned that I don't enjoy working on. I don't hate it. But I don't look forward to it. 'Course it's my first faired bike too, and that doesn't help. But I'm talking primarily about engine complexity.

I love my ZZR1200. But it really made me appreciate the SV650 even more than I did before. And there is no question which one I would keep if I had to choose between the two. And I have no loyalty to the SV650, as I own both.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Randy S said:
I don't own a Hyabusa, but I do own a ZZR1200, which is similar enough that I feel I can make a couple of comments.

Whether a person is safe with twice the horsepower of a SV650 depends on a lot more than whether he has a couple years of riding experience. In retrospect, I wish I had started riding on my KLR650, which has half the hp of the SV, rather than my SV. How can you really learn to ride well if you can't ring the bike to its limits? Since you can't hope to do that on a machine of this class, you'd better have developed all of your necessary skills on a smaller bike, because if you get in over your head on a 140+ hp bike, it's too late to learn then. Even if you have all the necessary skills, it takes a certain maturity, not necessarily age or even experience related, to ride a bike of this performance capability safely.

I love the big sport-oriented tourer on long freeway-oriented rides. But for the majority of my rides, I prefer the SV or KLR. They are frankly more fun to ride at legal speeds, and then some.

And when you consider things beyond ride differences, there is no comparison. For instance, how much did you pay for your SV versus the Hayabusa? How much is the insurance differential for full coverage? What is the gas milage differential? If you're made of money it may be inconsequential. For most of us it isn't.

And if you work on your own bike, like I do. There is a world of difference between a mid-sized V-twin and a liter-plus I4. My big Zed is the first bike I've ever owned that I don't enjoy working on. I don't hate it. But I don't look forward to it. 'Course it's my first faired bike too, and that doesn't help. But I'm talking primarily about engine complexity.

I love my ZZR1200. But it really made me appreciate the SV650 even more than I did before. And there is no question which one I would keep if I had to choose between the two. And I have no loyalty to the SV650, as I own both.

Randy, I dont really know where to start but everything you have said is so far off from my reality that its not even funny.

You have to first understand that it takes different strokes for different folks , from there you have to understand that the Busa has the potential to kill the SV in the twisties, which would mean pretty much every street riding scenario.
On a short track the SV has an advantage...thats it.

For street riding , I would never go back to an SV, never.

The Busa is so much more satisfying in every regard...FOR ME.

Money wise I am only speding more because I am riding more, now I have almost 7K on my Busa since March. The bike is infinately more fun to ride than my SV was...the bike is like crack..you just want more and more and more.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I guess I should post on what it's like going from a cbr1100xx to a Wing to an SV and then back to an XX b/c I just sold my SV after taking a test ride on a mint '02 XX. I'm keeping the Wing and the '02 XX is actually coming from out of state so I'll have it next week.

I loved the SV...it's a great bike. I just love the XX more.....I do a fair amount of hwy riding and I just like the incredibly smooth, wicked power the XX provides.....the brakes are so much better also. It's probably the only bike I'd take over the SV. I didn't look at the Busa b/c I personally prefer the XX to it. The XX looks more compact and I've had incredible luck Hondas. The XX isn't as fast as a Busa but 137 rear hp is more than plenty for me.....

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I haven't read thia whole thread, but I wanted to tell my experience with a hayabusa

no I wasn't riding it, it was at the drag strip, I made a 12.54 run which I think is respectable, about 9 seconds into the run, I was still within 1 bike length ot the hayabusa in the other lane that had a 9.95 second run

I never seen anything accelerate so fast, I was literally right beside him, then he was gone

·
Registered
419 Posts
Money wise I am only speding more because I am riding more, now I have almost 7K on my Busa since March.
This is likely an untrue statement. The purchase price of a new Busa is almost twice that of an SV. Insurance is more. And the SV gets significantly better gas milage. These things are not relative to YOU. They are the same for me and everyone else.

If you think the Hayabsua is as easy to work on as the SV, I suggest you've never done any meaningful work on it. 'Cause a liter + size I4 is a different level of complexity versus the 650 twin.

The rest of the stuff I wrote is subjective. And my post wasn't aimed at you personally. I just gave a differing view of what it is like riding these two very different classes of motorcycles. I cleraly have a very different viewpoint than you do. I own both types of bikes and have no axe to grind. Lots of people defend what's in their garage. I own both, and have no bias.

To a previous poster, that XX is a very nice bike also. I was torn myself between the XX and the ZZR when I found a rockin' deal on my ZZR1200.

G

·
I would love to ride a busa, I have one buddy that rides one but hes an asshole and wont let me ride it. When he wheelies that thing up the damn bike looks like its 8ft tall, lol.

I would most definely go for a GSXR1000 if I had the choice between the two, but for what you are using the bike for I would say you made the perfect decision.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Kaxter said:
I would love to ride a busa, I have one buddy that rides one but hes an asshole and wont let me ride it.
:lol: :lol:

For real, right? There should be a law forcing people who own bikes like that to share them with friends. Isn't that in the "biker code" somewhere? :twisted:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Randy S said:
 And the SV gets significantly better gas milage.  

If you think the Hayabsua is as easy to work on as the SV, I suggest you've never done any meaningful work on it.  

My 01 hayabusa averages 41-42 on normal rides... 36 on aggressive rides, and 20 on track days..

The SV has no "real" advantage in gas mileage... I think on the track the 'busa actually was getting better mileage.. although I don't know exactly how much gas I used... probably about 5 gallons for 160 miles roughly.... I wish I had checked it exactly for this discussion.. but the chance is gone.. and I haven't bothered trying to check it on the normal road... I think the SV probably does 3-4mpg better though.. I may be wrong.. whats the average for a SV on normal trips?

I have seriously worked them both on a track... and I can say with as little ego, or cocky-ness as possible... If i take the 'busa, and you take an SV650 to a track thats big enough for cars/pro racing... you had better damn well be railing it cuz the 'busa isn't going to be far behind. I'm not racer.. so i'm sure the SV, as well as the 'busa have some potential beyond my scope... but I did a track day on the 'busa in may.. another at the same track in july and the lap times are pretty close. Not to mention I know I was riding harder the second day because I already basically knew the track, and knew the areas I could go faster in when I got there.

·
Registered
397 Posts
busa = big chunk of metal hhahahahah that damn thing is too heavy and has WAY too much power for its own good. I dun see what the point of going 150+mph unless your just asking death to catch up to you faster ;) I still like my light bikes much much better :-D

·
Registered
419 Posts
My 01 hayabusa averages 41-42 on normal rides... 36 on aggressive rides, and 20 on track days...The SV has no "real" advantage in gas mileage... I think the SV probably does 3-4mpg better though.. I may be wrong.. whats the average for a SV on normal trips?
I never get less than 50 mpg on my '02 nekkid, about 52 average, so that's 10 mpg or about 25% better gas milage by your figures. I'd call that significant at today's gas price.

My ZZR1200 gets about the same mpg as your 'busa. That much h.p. has advantages. But fuel efficiency ain't one of them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Randy S said:
I never get less than 50 mpg on my '02 nekkid, about 52 average, so that's 10 mpg or about 25% better gas milage by your figures.  I'd call that significant at today's gas price. 

My ZZR1200 gets about the same mpg as your 'busa.  That much h.p. has advantages.  But fuel efficiency ain't one of them.
ehh.. when your already getting 40+ I just don't see fuel mileage being a real advantage to anything.. hehe.. besides it's a bike.. who cares about the fuel mileage.

·
Registered
63 Posts
shekshishekki said:
busa = big chunk of metal hhahahahah that damn thing is too heavy and has WAY too much power for its own good. I dun see what the point of going 150+mph unless your just asking death to catch up to you faster  ;) I still like my light bikes much much better :-D

ehh... Have you ridden one? That answer just sounds like the typical answer from a guy thats never rode one. I.E. "those things are pigs and can barely turn, if at all.... " Hear that crap all the time from guys that have never thrown a leg over one.

It's a very well balanced bike.. honestly.. the only time you really feel the extra weight is in fast transistions.. left/right.. right/left.. etc. Also.. the braking as mentioned before... thats partly the weight.. and mostly the amount of speed it picks up before you realize it. Afterall... and I said this before..

slowing a 380pnd bike down from 130 is simple.. slowing a 500pnd bike down from 170... takes a bit of doing.

If you haven't ridden one you should really give it a shot.. you may be suprised how much more stable all that "metal" makes it feel... especially on a windy day.

as far as the speed... ehh.. I can take it or leave it.. I rarely hit 100 unless it's at a track.

·
Registered
38 Posts
pure_ego said:
ehh... Have you ridden one?   That answer just sounds like the typical answer from a guy thats never rode one.  I.E. "those things are pigs and can barely turn, if at all.... "  Hear that crap all the time from guys that have never thrown a leg over one.

It's a very well balanced bike..  honestly.. the only time you really feel the extra weight is in fast transistions..  left/right.. right/left.. etc.   
Coming off an SV650 and now on my 2nd CBR1100XX (not Busa fast but damn close)......I can relate to Ego's comments. It's not all about going 150. I admit I do ride faster on the XX than the SV. And I'll do the occasional surge to 120 but won't stay there. To me while I really enjoyed the SV tremendously, I like the XX more. Here in San Diego, 80mph is the average speed for ALL vehicles on the highway. The SV was fast but the XX can literally EXPLODE at 80...or any speed for that matter...so if I wanna get out of a whole mess of cars and jump a mile ahead...it's effortless....not to mention the rush of the bike simply blasting off at high speeds like a scathed cat...the SV would move at 80 but the XX is a whole different story. It's freakin' breathtaking hearing the engine get absolutely wicked at 7K in 5th :) The XX also feels rock solid at high speeds but I thought the SV did too.
And the extra weight of the XX is a non issue to me....I hardly notice it to be honest.

I just sorta like the effortless pulling power on the hwy of the XX and I do lots of hwy riding. The SV was great and fun and I was always in the mid 90s on the hwy too but the difference is the reserve of power that the SV doesn't have at that speed. Do you need it? Depends. I thought I didn't but now that I have it, it's hard not to. With all that said.....take away my XX tomorrow and make me ride an SV650....life could be worse...

·
Registered
744 Posts
BarryG said:
The SV was fast but the XX can literally EXPLODE at 80...or any speed for that matter...
That really sounds like something Honda should fix...

41 - 60 of 60 Posts