Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My experience prior to the SV650 was limited , but I had been riding on and off since 1987 or so. Though any real or useful experience I gained was in my 2 years of SV ownership. So in a way the SV was my first "real" motorcycling experience.

Ive never taken an MSF , failed my first try at the driving skills portion of the MC license test on my SV and got a 100% the second try.
I have read a few books including a Twist of the Wrist 2 and have learned alot just by reading at forums like this one.
Oh and I am 34 going on 35...not that age matters for everyone but it definately would matter in my case...in my 20s I was a dumb ass and I would be dead if I had a Busa then.

I had my 03' naked SV650 for 2 years , then upgraded in May to a brand new 05' Hayabusa. Ive now got nearly 4000 miles on my Hayabusa and I can tell you what it is like to make the switch.

The SV650...I miss the bike but I dont, it was a fine bike and given my style of riding it was an excellent Pre-Busa bike.
I ran my SV650 hard , it has plenty of torque ..its not all that different in feel from the Busa's torque at lower speeds.
I learned alot of valuable lessons on my SV and am very happy to be armed with that knowledge on my Busa.

I will try to make this short:

I dropped off my SV650 at the dealership and fininished filling out the paperwork while they got my Busa ready. Bastards took it out for a ride and put 8 miles on it....come to find out its how this bike shop does it, every new bike gets a test drive.

I go out and start it up...god listen to this thing I thought! You could just hear the sick idle which is typical of race oriented engines...I was very excited.
After a short intro we said our good byes and I was off with my Busa....first thoughs as I left the driveway was it felt alot like my SV in turning but it seemed to turn easier or quicker and it felt way more secure or planted to the ground and it was comfortable. It felt like a Cadillac.

The next 1000 miles I played around with it but followed the break-in procedure for the most part....since then I have been pushing it more and more , little by little. In some ways it felt like my SV650 did when running it hard , only I was running the Busa up to 7K or so max. Early on
I started to worry that the Busa was a little weaker than I expected.
Boy was I in for a surprise.

Its extremely fast, but not at all what I imagined the Busa to be like. It can be as sly as a deadly Viper in stealth ..moving from 0-120+ MHP in scary fast times yet it does not seem it. OR if you run it hard it can violently take you to insane speeds as it temps you to hold that right wrist wide open ...hold it if you dare! I never do, I always let off...after 150 indicated things ...well lets just say its fast enough.
@ 140 though I can tell you its running so smooth that you know it is going to be a comfy ride as you very quickly progress to 150 it gets even smoother...stop there cause ive never been any faster (indicated)
Its still pulling like a freight train from hell @ an indicated 150 ...actually its gaining strenght @ 150 (shudders)

So 150 indicated is roughly 135 actually....and the Busa will do an actual 186 @ Sea level. Its takes roughly 25 seconds to go from 0-186 , there is a rev limiter in 6th gear ,all other gears rev to 11,500.

There are not many long heavy cornering roads in my area but there are a few several hours drive away or so and the Busa can wear you out around the corners, it will corner but its alot more work vs the SV.
Though on the other hand the hour and a half it took to get to the twisties is quite a joy on the Busa while its quite tiring on the SV.

So get there refreshed and ready to work up a sweat hauling the Busa thru the corners or get there a little bit winded and ride thru some great twisties.
Though if your riding with a good Busa rider you dont have a chance , unless you can ride the SV to 100% of its capabilities. But boy would that be fun wringing the neck out of the SV trying to keep up. :)

There is so much more to say about the comparison but I dont want to bore you all anymore than I already have. :)

The SV650 is a great ride. While moving the Busa may feel as light but over a period of time I can tell you that the SV650 feels more nimble because it is.
I cannot say I will ever buy another SV650 but only because life is too short...id want to try other bikes out.

From a dead stop the SV650 pulls nearly as good as the Busa does.

Id say the SV650 is more fun @ any speed below about 60mph. Over that the Busa does it [email protected] the SV650 is giving all she has while the Busa is just loafing along.

At least you can wring out the SV on a daily basis...If I miss anything I miss doing that the most. Rarely do I have enough space or is time just right where I can open up the Busa. Wring first and second sure..but at the end of 3rd gear I am already doing like 140.

Enjoy your SV, its still faster than a great deal of bikes on the road. I got tons of attention with the SV believe it or not as much as I get with the Busa. For me my bike is a pride thing as much as it is a toy for pleasure use. I always did enjoy the attention I got with my SV.

Take it from me, the SV650 is no slouch, not even close. SS600s are NOT THAT much faster...do not go to a 600SS bike if faster acceleration is what you are after..it will only be a small improvement. If any bikes are overstated these days its 600SSs , id say the SV650 is understated if anything and way too quickly is it recommended to newbs.

The SV is one bad ass bike that can and will take names.

BUT if you ever feel the need for more acceration and like doing long 300+ mile day rides then the Busa might be a good choice for you some day.

PICS

H

·
0 Posts
Re: Wanna know what its like going from an SV650 to a Hayabu

BentValve said:
...if you ... like doing long 300+ mile day rides then the Busa might be a good choice for you some day.
Yeah, if you want to do an Iron Butt ride in 7 hours the Busa is your ticket, LOL. :lol: Actually, it can be a whole stack of "tickets", if you get my drift. Eh? :lol:

Ahh, Hayabusa humor. Never gets old. 8)

Nice writeup, and enjoy that new ride of yours. I too would like to have something with some more oomph someday, but I have to admit, for a rider to move up to a bike as powerful as the 'Busa, knowing what it's capable of, it must take guts to get on it and let that clutch out for the first time... :)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
BentValve said:
Id say the SV650 is more fun @ any speed below about 60mph. Over that the Busa does it [email protected] the SV650 is giving all she has while the Busa is just loafing along.PICS

Well, consider the proportion of my riding done at 60 or less, I guess I've got the right bike for me. :wink:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
BentValve said:
Id say the SV650 is more fun @ any speed below about 60mph. Over that the Busa does it [email protected] the SV650 is giving all she has while the Busa is just loafing along.PICS

Well, considering the proportion of my riding done at 60 or less, I guess I've got the right bike for me. :wink:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congrats on the new ride :D . I noticed on the busa board a couple months ago you getting the bike. I too have been wanting one for a good while now and probably will get one soon, but I'm keeping the sv 8) . Great wright up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
NICE writeup...... Although I tend to obey within 20mph on the speed limit so I think a busa is no good for me. Seems to be more of a drag bike then anything else. I have seen many shows-articles about running them on the salt flats for speed records. The looks never really did it for me but I must admit whenever I see one in person it is a impressive sight. I think they get a bad rap from all the stuntas and posers who ride them. But congrats on your new bike and enjoy it!

Sam

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sammyj18 said:
PS.... What made you choose the Busa over a GSXR 1k?

comfort
wind protection
looks/styling

The R1000 is probably easier to get into trouble with as well....overall though the main reason is because I like to take longer trips 6+ hour at a time and the R1000 is not made for that type of riding.

There is no question though that id love to try one out and see what all the hype is about.

I made the right decision for sure, I absolutely love my Busa and cannot wait to get my new tires on it so I can go riding her hard again...ive been babying my bald rear tire for awhile now.
Yeah , the Busa requires tire changes more often than oil changes. :oops:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Nice write up and thanks for sharing your thoughts. Is that the limited addition Busa for 05? I love the Busa, but don't know if I could handle the more aggressive ergonomics. Also I might have a problem with speed limits if I ever owned one. I've got a CDL license and sure couldn't handle any tickets. Very nice ride my friend and that RED is way COOL.
Cheers!

N

·
0 Posts
+1 on the "nice write up"; it's so much more relevant when you know where the writer's coming from. The 'Busa doesn't fit the bill for the kind of riding I do , but I'd sure like to borrow one for a day!

The other thought that occurs to me is that the Bus is the Hemi 'Cuda, 454SS Chevelle etc of 2005. Twenty years from now I bet you'll still remember the experience...

Ride safe!

:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, red is my favorite color so it was a no brainer for me.

Its not the LE, the LE is all Gunmetal Grey..LEs always have black frames and swingarms.

I guess I missed getting a point across , guess I was too subtle but what I am saying is its not such a leap that I though...if you got half a head on your shoulders and some road time on your SV, making a switch like this is not hard at all. The Busa is much easier to deal with than you may think.
As far as ergos go, the Busa's seating is rather relaxed compared to other SS bikes.

If anyone around here has 10K miles on an SV I guarantee youd hop on a Busa and feel right at home.

More power does bring more resonsiblility for sure though and if your not ready for it then you know what best for yourself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nc_sv650 said:
The other thought that occurs to me is that the Bus is the Hemi 'Cuda, 454SS Chevelle etc of 2005. Twenty years from now I bet you'll still remember the experience...

:)

Oh for sure, though my Busa is slow compared to some of the nut cases at the Hayabusa forums with Turbos and other extreme mods.

Overall though a standard Busa owns the superslab, nobody can touch it...its fun to get along side cagers and roll her on @ 80mph or so....you whack it wide open , you feel a solid thrust of torque just as strong as it was from a dead stop...look in your mirrors and they are WAY back there.
All within a few seconds.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
My jealousy runneth over!

Your insurance might actually be cheaper than on the SV. I know Progressive classifies it as a cruiser because it's 1300cc. Also, it's not a GSXR1300, it's a GSX1300R so it's not a gixxer.

It's dumbfounding to ride with my Busa friends. Four of them are pretty dang fast (as they all are). Then the other guy has the turbo. They all rip away from me at highway speeds and then the turbo rips them almost as hard as the non-turbos did to me.

I'm a turbo fan and would like to move to the Busa and perhaps when I "get use to it," turbocharge that mother.

Concerning the trackability...there was a Busa at TWS when I went and I lapped him! I think it's not his bike so much as it is him though... most Busa guys are not in it for the corners.

They look like a whole other bike when at stock ride height. I think I've seen 4 or 5 out of 200+ Busa's that were NOT slammed.

Josh

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for posting, Bentvalve! Congrats on the new beast! Great color too although I do like the stealth LE the best. :D The more info the better...don't worry about length. I enjoy the comparisons. I've been thinking about a Busa myself. I had a cbr1100XX for a little while but sold it to get my Wing. The XX had almost Busa like power but has a much harsher ride than the Busa I'm told....anything but the smoothest roads the XX didn't like at all....in stock form. I do kinda miss the brutal pull away power at any speed the XX has and the more planted handling.....hoping heavier springs and oil help my SV out there. But I don't spend anytime anymore over 100mph....and I would think if I had a Busa what would be the point then? I think I'd definitely lose my license for starters. I get pulled over enough on my Wing for speeding as it is!

Question: How's the Busa in stop/go type traffic.....not traffic jams but just 2 or 3 lane 40mph settings with stoplights. The SV is a breeze....which is why I commute on it but would think the Busa would be kinda of a handful for that.

Thx again and post anything else you think of.

·
Registered
37 Posts
beautiful color choice...i think the busa is the best looking faired bike out there...as for nakeds, well...

- alex

·
Registered
449 Posts
maybe its me, but your writeup makes the busa seem a tad bit underwhelming. This is unacceptable. The busa should be the King of the Road where other bikes shiver in its wake.

Heres what I'm thinking Suzuki should do: Punch out the motor an extra 400cc and then maybe beef up the ergos and the looks a bit. Increase horsepower everywhere. I would also contemplate a factory installed Turbo as a standard item.
I'd name this special version the BusaGrande. I seriously believe that there is a market out there for a bike like this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Barry ive ridden with an XX, it has no where near the acceleration of the Busa after about 90...though a good rider on one can keep up with a Busa with no problems on most roads. The Busa runs hot so stop and go is not fun. 2-3 lane 40mph traffic its fine...as easy as the SV , no question. You wont really feel the extra weight until you are stopped and pushing the bike around with your legs. Push the Busa over a hump or something vs the SV and the weight will show itself. At home with my SV every now and again I get a wheel in the grass....well pulling the SV out was a breeze. The Busa on the other hand is alot harder to get out BUT ive gotten used to it and can control its weight well so I no longer really feel its weight like I did.

The Busa is a more expensive ride, insurance is more, it uses tires way faster, it uses more gas (when riding it hard), if you lay it down its going to cost money, even if it just tips over your going to do some sort of damage.

An SV on the other hand with some frame sliders might be just fine if it tips over...maybe a few scratches.
Except one detail I did not like about the SV though and IMO Suzuki needs to address it....the big radiator that sticks out past the frame. IMO any radiator should be inside the frame. But cost is probably in issue here.

Which brings me to another point, if you ever plan on upgrading the SV then I suggest not putting tons of cash into it. After getting the Busa it became more apparent how Suzuki really cut corners on the SV.
Between the suspension/steering damper and over all ride the on the Busa you will know where that extra money went. Though for what the SV does
what it has is enough.

Your never going to get that planted feeling out of an SV because its a way lighter bike...even a GSX-R1000 is not going to feel as planted.
Ive read of at least 3 guys who have sold/traded their Kawasaki ZX-10Rs for Busas because the bike is so squirlly , squirlly can be fun but sometimes you dont want it. Guys complained of unwanted wheelies @ 120mph. I for one dont want my front tire coming off the ground @ freeway speeds, ive got enough to do as it is.

Id have to say that you would indeed be wasting this bike if you never went over 100 because it does not really shine until you get in that area. Even though I dont do it often I do like to get it up for a quickie every now and again...ok , at least once or twice per ride. :)

Id probably opt for a GSX-R600 or 750 if I never went over 100....it would drive me nuts not being able to upshift hardly ever on a 1000. But that will never happen because I love torque too much...the SV got me hooked.

One benefit all the current liter + bikes have is they are not picky about what gear they are in. Just pick a gear and ride. On the freeway you could be doing 60mph in 2,3,4,5 or 6 and pull the thottle and have very nice power ready to use.

The downside as I said before is that you can hardly ever get the bike out and give it a good running. But even if you do get to wind your SS600 out more often you still wont have the violent acceleration of a liter bike...there really is no replacement for displacement in terms of torque.

The Busa may no longer be the 1/4 mile king but its still holds the torque crown, none of the other liters have 100ft lbs of torque and its across most of the power band...this equals fun.

I guess its really up to you but no bike really has it all but IMO the Busa comes close...again since I like long rides that is the main reason I went with a Busa if I never rode more than an a few hours at a time then id have gotten an R1000.

The SV650 is really in a place by itself, it has torque down low so you can have fun and avoid alot of tickets.
A 600SS bike has torque if you wind it out but its not nearly as easily accessible as it is on the SV.
The current Liter bikes have tons of torque up high and a reasonable amount down low, the make decent horsepower everywhere and up high as much or even more than a Busa. PLUS all this is a 600SS chasis which makes for a thrilling ride. Given the squirllier ride the offer they can feel faster than a Busa.

The Busa has tons of torque and power everywhere , its very planted and friendly. You have to whip it pretty good to get it to bite you..... but when you get it upset , good luck because you have awakened a giant that can crush you in a heartbeat.
With so much torque the back wheel is very prone to breaking loose if you hit some loose dirt, water, oil or whatever in the road or are riding on tires that are not warm. This may sound nuts but its kind of fun to try and man handle the Busa thru the corners, its more effort than an SV for sure but you get to rip out of that corner at crazy speeds and to me that is just as fun as the corner itself. I gotta have the torque.

If you just want the all out fastest accelerating bike on the planet then get an R1000 and are looking for some serious seat of the pants excitment then this is the bike for you.

Though the Busa will hang right with an R1000 thru a quarter mile....maybe losing by .5 seconds or less...after about 150 the R1000 will quickly be reeled in and it will get walked til 170 ...to 186 the R1000 is really going to be working is ass off...the R1000 should be way back in the mirrors now.
I would not even think of taking any other bikes to these speeds beside a 12R. Id be too scared to take a 10R to top speed...its just too sqirlly for my tastes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Spirit of Bunny said:
maybe its me, but your writeup makes the busa seem a tad bit underwhelming. This is unacceptable. The busa should be the King of the Road where other bikes shiver in its wake.

Heres what I'm thinking Suzuki should do: Punch out the motor an extra 400cc and then maybe beef up the ergos and the looks a bit. Increase horsepower everywhere. I would also contemplate a factory installed Turbo as a standard item.
I'd name this special version the BusaGrande. I seriously believe that there is a market out there for a bike like this.

Trust me, very few bike can hang with the Busa....I can hand a Blackbird XX its ass anytime. Your SV will feel like a snail if I roll on with you @ 60+ MPH.
Get on the freeway and just open up your SV , run it to full speed , crouch down and hold on, whip it for all its got.
I can go from 80mph to 120 in seconds and will lurch away from a bike doing 120 like he is stopped, literally. Youd have to experience it to believe it. I will pull away from your 120 so fast that you will think you are sitting still. No kidding. :)

Oh I am sure your Grande Busa would sell, no question about it.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts