Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have developed a problem with my gauges on my 2000 SV650s, for some reason, the speedo and tach needles will drop down to nil, then after a little bit, restart. The fuel light flashes when the needles come back online. I don't think it's an electrical problem; as the lights/signals/gaugle lights still stay on all the time. I think it's a bent wire or loose connection, but i have nooo idea where to start looking, can anyone lend advice?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
it's an electrical problem , if not a loose connection, the charging system is suspect

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
battery is nice and tight, and i've traced all the wires; they seem to be in order. The bike was dropped the other day at a stand still, so there is a possibility that one of the wires was bent in the process. All the other electical functions work fine on the bike, it's just the gauges that are acting up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Did you figure out what the problem was?

I have a 2001 SV650S and recently when accelerating hard (lots of vibration) I have been getting the fuel light turning on and the digital odometer lighting up all digits like when you first turn the key on. some times my Speedo and tacometer will go to zero for a few second. I took of the fairings and moved the wire harnesses all around back to the battery area and noting seems to go wacky.

From looking at the schematic (see links below), I think it may actually be a problem with the +12V connection inside the gage cluster. The high beam light which is connected to the high beam light and the horn works fine when everything else goes wacky.

I'm going to hookup a temporary light to the +12V line comming out of the last connector to the gage cluster to see if it is ok when this happens to see if it's before or after the gage cluster.

I checked the battery and it is good (+12V with the bike off) and I never have any problems starting the bike plus it runs fine when this happens.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Anyone have a spare gage cluster they want to sell?

http://www.svrider.com/tips/svs-wiring/SV650S-E03-wiring.PDF
http://www.svrider.com/tips/svs-wiring/SV650S-E03-wiring.JPG

K

·
0 Posts
it might be a bad cell in the battery..
had this happen to me same symptons.
swaped the battery for another and it waz fine..
i did not read the last post i was refering to the first one.
hold on...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think I might have seen something about a bad battery also, maybe on socalsvriders forum.

maybe the battery is drying out since it's 5 years old.

I'll tryand hook up a voltmeter that I can watch when it does it but it usually only happens when I'm stomping on it and I almost didn't notice it since i'm usually not looking down at that time.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I had similar symtoms when my battery went, so that's a decent place to start. Maybe try to give it a good charge and see if that helps.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I recently had a very similar problem, still haven't dealt with it. About 100 mi into a 140 mile ride or so, my speedo starts bouncing around a slight bit around my actual speed, if i let off the throttle and let it engine brake, the speedometer would actually rise about 10-15 mph although i was clearly slowing down. About another 10 miles down the road, it starts bouncing around more leaving me with "well... i'm going somewhere between 70 and 115". The tach starting doing it also, and then the gas light would turn on and off (although I just filled up).

I'm inclined to believe its the charging system or r/r (the battery is only about 5 months old at max) One interesting piece of info was if i would rev the bike up to about 9-10k, everything would work right. I have an r/r off a gixxer I might swap in there after i recarge the battery (its down to about 12.5v).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok I changed the battery with a brand new one that has been plugged into a battery tender for a week and it is still doing it.

It's definately a loose connection since It only does it when the trottle is revved up but not all the time.

It was doing it a lot when I first turned it on so I put a volt meter on the battery and it was up at about 13.5V even when the gages would go wacky.

The only connection that would do this would be the +12V on the last connector going into the gage cluster. if it was the connector before that the headlights would go out everytime also and they are fine. It could also be a loose +12V connection inside the cluster which would be a pain to fix since that looks like it might be sealed (note mines a SV650S).

I even wiggled all the connectors and wires under the fairings in front and it wouldn't screw up so I think it's in the cliuster somewhere.

Anyone else have this problem to?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok, it finally got warm enough to take a look at this problem further.

I took the dash apart and wiggled all the connections and even the circuit board and the problem doesn't appear. The problem only appears when the bike is reved up.

I hooked up an ocilloscope to the battery to see if any wierd signals were showing up when the bike was reved but it didn't look any different when it was acting up or when it wasn't. not sure what the signal should have looked like other then 12Vdc with some minor regulation ripple but I didn't have anything to compare it to. I'll probably take a look at it again.

I did notice the lights behind the gages pulsing up and down a little so my suspicion might be the Rectifier/regulator is going bad. I'll have to look into that a little deeper.

Does anyone know what the symptoms are when the Rectifier/regulator starts to go bad?

·
Registered
49 Posts
OK, changing the battery didn't fix the problem so I put an o-scope on the 12vdc and it looked like one of the diodes may have gone bad since there was an AC signal riding on the DC that looked quite large when reved up.

I went and got a used Recifier/regulator and it fixed the problem and the DC looks clean on the scope but the regulator section on the newer part might be bad since the voltage climbs to 18v when reved. not good.

The used part was from a Suzuki Savage and the part number is the same as the one for the SV650 but there is a third wire that is orange with a black stripe that doesn't go anywhere on the SV but the connector has a blank third pin. the newer regulator could be bad or the third wire could be a "sense" wire to set the voltage with and since it's not connected it's not regulating.

I'm taking the regulator back and will ahve another one in a few days but this appears to have been the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old post..

did anybody figure out whats the problem here? I am experiencing this exact problem as described too. I just bought a new battery last week too.

The old one died, i've had the bike for about 3-4 years. Bought it used, so not sure how old exactly the battery was.

any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

btw, its a 2000 SV650S

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
The problem persists after swapping the battery? Have you tested the R/R?
I'd advise to replace the R/R with a better unit so that you don't 1) fry your battery and 2) fry your ignitor.
Regarding the gauges cutting out, I'd start tracing wires back from the gauges to see if there's any loose connections or chafing wiring.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Ok im bringing this back up, so i dont clutter with more of the same topic

My bike is doing the same if not similar plus other symptoms

The gauges freak out, like slow roll 5-10mph it will go up to 60+ and twitch all over

the tach jumps all over

the odomoter is flashing on and off

and i get power cut, its like its loosing spark

About a week ago the battery died out completely, it started to do it and then battery was flat. had to run and kick start the damn thing. So i replaced it and the problem is still there. It starts ok and idles ok. Just intermittently while ridding im loosing spark/cutting out like its out of gas almost...

Any input?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts