Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I got some vortex rearsets last week and the instructions do not list torque settings. I'm waiting to hear back from Vortex support, but if someone knows the torque settings, I would appreciate a reply here.
Thanks,
Stinky_finger

·
Registered
799 Posts
reason I have it :)
so, let me get this straight. you had plates backwards and your suspension guru figured it out and told you they should be torqued to 10lbs with locktite.
did I get it right?
now if you can explain to me why it has to be 10lbs and not 16.5 that would be great.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
same as stock
are you assuming they used a torque wrench to remove them? just saying stock did nothing to help but add a post to the thread

he loosened them up and said they only need to be 10lbs with some blue locktite.
10lbs is also very unspecific, is that 10inch/lbs or 10foot/lbs cause thats a 12X difference

·
Registered
799 Posts
are you assuming they used a torque wrench to remove them? just saying stock did nothing to help but add a post to the thread
it was general answer, if you don't know look at manual and see what is stock torque. in this case stock is 16.5 foot pounds and proper for application.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Just put some locktite on em and make em tight. There not going to fall off. You're over thinking this one a bit IMO.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
why do they have to be exact?

Just tighten them, is it really that difficult? :p

·
Registered
827 Posts
reason I have it :)
so, let me get this straight. you had plates backwards and your suspension guru figured it out and told you they should be torqued to 10lbs with locktite.
did I get it right?
now if you can explain to me why it has to be 10lbs and not 16.5 that would be great.
i had them flipped because i wanted them up higher. i wanted that extra height because i was used to the yoshimura ones (flipped) i had long ago. i saw no problem with it until the master cylinder was getting in the way.

and it's 10lb/ft & blue loctite.

reason being is like what nudist said, different materials. the heel guards attach to the back plate and it is very easy to crush the aluminum threads by overtightening. this is, however, not the case with the back plate attaching to the frame since there are no threads there, but i wouldn't use a stock torque setting since the bolts are DIFFERENT from the stock ones.

coming in with speculation and not numbers or practical experience is what adds to the misinformation and post whoring. if you would have added some of your own experience from what you just told everyone at first instead of just saying STOCK, it would've been a lot more contributory.

cheers :)

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
i had them flipped because i wanted them up higher. i wanted that extra height because i was used to the yoshimura ones (flipped) i had long ago. i saw no problem with it until the master cylinder was getting in the way.

and it's 10lb/ft & blue loctite.

reason being is like what nudist said, different materials. the heel guards attach to the back plate and it is very easy to crush the aluminum threads by overtightening. this is, however, not the case with the back plate attaching to the frame since there are no threads there, but i wouldn't use a stock torque setting since the bolts are DIFFERENT from the stock ones.

coming in with speculation and not numbers or practical experience is what adds to the misinformation and post whoring. if you would have added some of your own experience from what you just told everyone at first instead of just saying STOCK, it would've been a lot more contributory.

cheers :)
How are the bolts different? What material are the old and what are the new?

·
Registered
799 Posts
I am only talking about rearsets attaching to frame, and it is 16.5 by the book.
and heal guard is 7 not 10.
and you right, I have 0 experience putting stuff together :), in fact I don't even know how to use torque wrench. I still can flip my rearsets around without suspension guru :).
fyi. op asked for torque. if you follow service manual you can not go wrong. torque is dependent on size of bolt, not what suspension guru thinks or how sensitive your hand is.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts