Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we had a thread about this but I can not find it. I currently have a trial edition of Norton on the laptop that is expired. Are there other softwares out there that do just as well without the bulk of Norton, Mcafee, etc. or is it just as easy to renew the subscription.

Please educate me.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
AVG is free and not a hog.

·
Registered
232 Posts
avast! is what i use and it's pretty good stuff without being a resource hog. Did I mention it was free?

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I've been getting messages on mine that AVG (or at least the updates) will no longer be free. Anybody else get that? ???

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Norton 360 FTW! :rock:

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I have Comcast Hi-speed and Mcafee has been pretty good and free on my one windows PC (Linux on all my other PCs and servers).

Used Trend-Micro for a long time and that was pretty good also.

AGV is pretty good and comes at the right price ... FREE.

If you ever have tried to remove Norton, it leaves registry entries and files all over the place.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
AVG. So good we have it here at work. It's caught a good many things when I'm on late at night searching for... puppies.... and stories of heroism.

We even use it here at work, and our IT guy was the one who suggested it to me. I figure if it's good enough to protect a large corporation's computer system, it's good enough for my laptop. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
I guess I'm one of the few suckers who paid for anti-virus, spyware, firewall, and e-mail protection. I purchased CA Security Suite. It's great because it's all manageable, updateable, and scheduleable from one main menu. I love it! I think the household license allowed me to load it onto 3-5 PCs. I can't remember, but it's loaded on both of my primary machines without any licensing violations.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
I had Avast and a Windows 2009 virus slipped through that contributed to disabling my PC. In the process of cleaning it up something got tweaked in the registry and it would not boot up. Cost me $100 to get back online.

So far AVG has worked better for me

G

·
If you're going to pay for a do-it-all security package, this is definintely the one. And yes, the home license allows you to legally install it on up to 5 computers.

I guess I'm one of the few suckers who paid for anti-virus, spyware, firewall, and e-mail protection. I purchased CA Security Suite. It's great because it's all manageable, updateable, and scheduleable from one main menu. I love it! I think the household license allowed me to load it onto 3-5 PCs. I can't remember, but it's loaded on both of my primary machines without any licensing violations.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
+1 for trend micro's pccillin but after reading maximum PCs reviews this year, I might try norton again for the first time in years. Apparently they completely redid the code for norton and it's supposed to be tiny. They have the one year three license kinda thing going on.

Windows 2009 virus sucks to remove. I've had to fix two people's computers with that retarded virus. I dont' charge though lol. You need more computer nerd friends :D

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Oh yeah Kelley stop opening email attachments from even your family member or SVR peoples unless you have a web based email account like Gmail that has a virus scan built into them. People catch more crap thru email attachments from their friends who don't have protected computers and like to open all sorts of attachments, pass along chain emails and who don't Alt+F4 pop ups to close them.

:)

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do not have a gmail account.

Is that one you can sign up for like yahoo or do you need an invite to get an account?

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
It's an invite that are easy to get, you can PM me if you want I have plenty to spare.

G

·
No invite necessary for GMail anymore. Just sign up for a regular Google account, and your gmail mailbox will be created.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts