Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that in Virginia you cannot get a plate until after you have the title in your name? I just sold someone my car, but he says he won't be able to drive it until after I get the title to him and he can take it to DMV. The title is coming from the bank, so that will take weeks. Can't you get a temporary tag in VA?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Yes you can get a temporary tag, Not 100% sure but that sounds false... Your best bet is to call the DMV and ask, or look on their website. DMVnow.com

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
You can get a temp tag for transport - thats it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can get a temp tag for transport - thats it.
That is what the guy is telling me. He had the "transport tag" when he came down to get the car. Now I've got to call the bank and bug them to get me the title. That will probably do me no good...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
That is what the guy is telling me. He had the "transport tag" when he came down to get the car. Now I've got to call the bank and bug them to get me the title. That will probably do me no good...:rolleyes:
The perk of "title in hand" when buying a vehicle. The buyer has to be aware of the stipulations.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The perk of "title in hand" when buying a vehicle. The buyer has to be aware of the stipulations.
That's what is most annoying to me. They keep emailing like I should be straightening this out. I told them the first time we talked price what I had to get to pay it off.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yep, all he can get is a permit to drive it home and watch it. This is why I won't buy anything w/o a title in hand anymore. No offense to the OP but it is a royal PITA to wait for a title ;D

·
Registered
157 Posts
I bought a SV from a used motorcycle dealership in MD, the uninformed sales person said the bike would be delivered to me in VA with the title within a week or two. It came in a week and a half with no title. Definitely a PITA. I called the dealership and they said it'd be mailed in a week or two. It is a real trial of patience but I'll take this time to install some bar-end mirrors, motosliders, and watch it sit.

·
Registered
208 Posts
there's nothing you can do. if the buyer knew before you sold him the car that the bank is sending the title, then screw him. title's and banks suck. buyers should know better than to have a third party involved when buying vehicles. and if this guy drives it before he gets the title on say "dead tags" and gets into an accident. it could come back to you.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's been taken care of. I had to go to the bank and sit with the manager who got the title released early, then mail the title to the guy. Christ on a pogostick, I'm never selling a car I don't have the title on again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts