Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Comment Thread Here http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3732889#post3732889

In January of 2011 I purchased my first bike, after having road my friends 2002 SV650 I was hooked. I started searching craigslist for a used bike, but nothing quite caught my eye like a 2009 SV650S in blue with the white racing stripe.

I started off with some mild mods, rear seat cowl, blue valve stem caps, blue fairing bolt kit, blue windscreen bolt kit. Those mods started off the 2010 riding season. I ended the 2010 season with not to much done to the bike.

2012 season came around and a co-worker and fellow SVrider member, thetruck454, convinced me to jump on the Penske group buy. And Im glad I did, I got a Penske 8975DB, Gold emulators, .95 kg/mm springs, and some other suspension go fast bits. Also my friends got me some color matched Pazzo racing levers as a surprise for my birthday, always great having a group of fellow motorcycle enthusiasts. Finally ditched those crappy stock tires for some Pirelli Diablo Rosso II tires with some blue 90 degree valve stems.

2013 season came, didn't start out so hot. Wasn't motivated to ride and it took a few outings to get in my groove again, even wanted to sell the bike. But I rode for about 2000 miles and did my first track day, which kind of gave me a direction to go, create what I feel is a great all around bike for spirited sport riding, can still do a long day ride, and will eat up the track like no ones business. Some of the mods will sacrifice comfort, and others will lack raw performance for the track, but its an all around bike.

At the end of the 2013 season the bike sat with the following mods:
-Pro Bolt Blue Aluminum windscreen bolt kit
-Pro Bolt Blue Aluminum fairing bolt kit
-Tech Specs Tank Grips
-Pirelli Diablo Rosso II tires
-Penske 8975DB Shock
-Gold emulators with .95 kg/mm springs and other fork parts replaced
-Pazzo Racing Levers
-Pro Grip blue rim tape (looks like Tron light bike in photos)
-Spiegler SS brake lines (Black lines with blue ends and black banjo bolts
-Speed Bleeders
-Engine Ice coolant

Purchased so far or on order
-Puig Racing Clear windscreen
-Renthal Super soft grips
-Brembo 19RCS Master Cylinder
-Brembo Cable Clutch lever with GSXR master cylinder
-TWM Racing remote brake adjuster
-Motion Pro Quick Throttle
-Moto Mummy reservoir sock
-Cox Racing group Black radiator gaurd
-Woodcraft rear sets
-Woodcraft rear brake return spring
-Woodcraft Shark fin
-Evotech Fender eliminator
-Evotech exhaust hanger (Yes I got rid of those pesky things called passenger pegs, retained mounting points though)
-Leo Vince Carbon Evo Superbike II slip on
-Power Commander V
-MWR performance Airfilter
-NGK CR8EiX spark plugs
-Scotts Performance Steering Dampener
-Pro Bolt Black aluminum shift rod
-Pro Bolt Blue Aluminum Number plate bolt kit
-Pro Bolt Titanium Blue sprocket nuts
-Supersprox Sprocket kit
-DID Chain
-Corbin Seat
-Moto Sliders no cut frame sliders

Will Be posting up some pictures tomorrow, can't wait for the warmer weather and the 2014 season.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's some photos to entertain the curious

Picking up the bike, (I trailered it home since I only had about 40 miles on the road using a friends bike)

After being home for 30 minutes off with the passenger seat and grab bar, on with the seat cowl

Pazzo Levers, big thank you to my riding friends for these

Installed and comparing old lever to new pazzo

Suspension parts from the SV rider group by, Thank Metric Devil Moto for this one

Middle of the suspension mods

Old vs new shock

More Photos to come, these are all I have time to post for now. If anyone has any questions on why I chose the mods I have or wants to do something similar let me know and I will try to help.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few more photos for your viewing pleasure

My Sv after my first 100 mile day, next to my friend's CBR1000RR Repsol

The bike after SS brake line install, if you look close you can see the black lines, blue ends and black banjo bolts. Also forgot about the titanium sparkers with blue aluminum collars on the stock footpegs.

And the work bench where all the modding has been happening, built it after I did my suspension work. Yes, I did match the peg board to the bike (ensue witty comments)

Working on sorting through some more photos.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A couple of pics from my first track day

Just off the trailer and through tech

My SV with my two friends Gen 1 bikes

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a few more pics of the ongoing build, will post a bigger update this weekend

Old Pazzo levers off the bike (keeping these as spares or going on the track SV when I get one)

Driven Block off plate and TWF Racing dowel for PAIR system removal (get stuff done right)

Scotts Steering Dampener, looks really cool but is a great safety item to have, especially on the track

Last photo for today, just got the Pitbull Jack Stands. Now I can take the shock out for the refresh and service the steering stem bearings when I get the shock back. Also you can see some sneek peaks of a few mods I have installed.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got some more go fast parts in the mail today. No Cut frame sliders from Motosliders, courtesy of Blair at SV Racing Parts.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Moto Sliders installed and I'm close to getting a Gen 1 SV as a track bike, future build coming for that one.

Pic of the sliders installed:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Time for a few more photos of the mods to date (Note: bike is dirty and will be washed before final photos are taken when I complete the build):

Cut out the front sprocket cover and coated it with some flat black plasti dip, really ties it together with the frame

Evotech fender Eliminator, really cleans up the rear of the bike

Leo Vince Sbk Evo II exhaust, decided to run it without the sticker, yellow just doesn't match the theme I have in mind, also have the matching Leo Vince Carbon Fiber heat shield

Woodcraft Rearsets in black of course, and the Woodcraft rear brake return spring

Cox racing Radiator Guard

Thats all for now, I want to spread the wealth of photos out, as I said before any questions about what parts I'm using just let me know.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some more go fast bits arrived today:

Pro-Bolt Blue Titanium sprocket buts
Pro-Bolt Black Aluminum Shift Rod (188mm)

Also I might be holding off on the Supersprox Sprocket kit for a bit, since buying the track bike soon is going to put some of this stuff on hold, just for a bit.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Time for some more updates

Brembo 19 RCS Master cylinder, should have a lot better feel for the brakes this season

Brembo cable clutch lever to match, with a GSXR clutch Perch

HEL Racing radial to standard brake line adapter

New rear master cylinder reservoir

Woodcraft Shark fin/toe guard, need to keep those fingers and toes out of the chain and sprocket

TWM Racing Remote adjuster for the Brembo 19RCS

PUIG Racing windscreen

Thats all I have for now, will be posting some more updates when I get parts in, and when I get it dyno'ed I will post a video.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No pictures in this update, but did get some more work done.

Finally got the PAIR system removal completed, block off plates and dowel pins installed.

I will have some pictures of other mods and the track bike soon.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another update, talked to Pete Kates at GMD Computrack Boston. Both my Penske 8975 for my Gen 2 bike and my Elka for the track bike are nearing the completion of being refreshed. Once I get them back I will be creating a new build thread for the track bike.

Also I am finalizing the list of parts for the Gen 2 bike and will be posting shortly. Keep an eye out for the Track bike build thread as I am getting a parts list together for that one as well. Lots of exciting things to come for 2014 riding season.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another small update, ordered spark plugs for both bikes yesterday, going with the iridium version of the plugs.

Also talked with Chris Kruzel at Drippin Wet today, going to get some custom vinyl work done for both bikes. No pictures of the stuff till its on the bike, it will be part of the final reveal when the build is done.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another Update

Cush Drive all cleaned up and ready to reinstall

Blue Titanium Sprocket nuts

And the track bike, there is exactly 10 years between my two bikes, No better way to own some SV's that to have one thats in the first year of production and last year of production for the States

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No photos to post but an update none the less.

Bunch of new hardware is on its way for the track bike finally, so I can start getting that thing ready for the season.

Talked to the good folks at Scotts Performance and will be getting a mounting kit for the track bike so I can swap the steering dampner between the bikes till next season.

All the spark plugs are gaped and ready for install.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Minor update

Motul order came in so I am all stocked on oil, chain lube, RBF600 brake fluid, and suspension oil for the season.

Also parts are arriving for the track bike, Woodcraft frame sliders, Reservoir sock from Moto Mummy, and a few other odds and ends. I will be starting a build thread for the track bike soon.

As for the Gen 2 bike all thats left is
-put in new spark plugs
-drain out the stabilized fuel and put in fresh prior to dyno tune
-map the Power Commander
-give it a bath
-new coolant and a flush
-ride the living **** out of it

I will post a video of the dyno runs once they happen.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well a racing injury has me looking at this project again. So time to dust it off and start completing it. Its been in similar form since 2014 with the exception of some Dunlop Q3 tires and the usual maintenance.

As far as what else I plan to put on this, well here is the short list for now.
- Valve Clearance check
- Gold Chain
- Drivesystems superlite sprocket set up 15/45
- Rizoma Turn Signals
- Race Number (similar to a custom moto gp style number)
- Sargent Seat
- Carbon Fiber farkles
- GB Racing Case Covers
- Oil fill cap
- Titanium farkles
- SAMCO Hose kit (Custom to change out all hoses)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some parts are going to start showing up so I figured now is a good time to post some current photos. I forgot about a few mods I did to it since the winter I did most of the build so I will list them.

Brembo Moto GP levers
SBS brake pads
30 wt fork oil
update to the Penske 8975 shock (nitrogen port is needle style now)

So I got the chance exactly 4 years after I did my first track day to ride the Gen 2 on the track again. Here are 2 photos from Club Motorsports in Tamworth NH. New facility and my race bike was having issues, thankfully I have two working SV's

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Long update, so away we go

I finally have pictures of most of the parts that have come in so far for the project. I will say none of this stuff is needed for the street, most of it is Race use parts and Im doing this for the love of two wheels as well as it makes me happy to be working on a bike again.

Every race replica needs wheel arrows a race number

This is the bleeder banjo bolt, same one I use on my race bike since I ran the linear lines and have not bothered upgrading to radial lines. I run the HEL racing radial to linear adapter.

Next we have the complete SAMCO hose kit. this is a full kit, all hoses will be replaced by what is in this kit. One thing to note is you need to buy the manifold tubes separate as well as the clamp kit too. They do not come with the normal Gen 2 kit

Next we have something pretty self explanitory which are some captive rear wheel spacers from Fast Franks, no need for these other than well they are cool trick parts that give the bike a race feel

Now for the completely insane, a selection of titanium hardware. This is of no use, on the street, club level of racing, only really useful at the world level but hey you only live once so why not install some cool stuff. The Gold bolt is a titanium pin for the Brembo 19 RCS and is also tinitride coated as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts