Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
If you know any cops, have them run the VIN.
That's what I was thinking. Otherwise it seems like you are taking a chance. That's a cool bike though, good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Check the Washington state laws first.

Usually it's not a big deal to re-title an older vehicle. Make sure the bill of sale is complete, that the seller is identifiable by something more than a name and address (driver's license number is adequate), and that the bill of sale clearly states "No current title on vehicle".

I used to live in Louisiana and sold an old car without a title. I agreed to get the new title before the money changed hands and the car was delivered. It took a bit more than a month. The buyer wound up paying for and picking up the car after the first week because he wanted it in his hands.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If I had a dollar for every Craigslist add that included
"had bike for umpteen years with no title. But I hear it's real easy to get one."

uh-huh.

Something has kept him from getting it titled.

Usually, it is that the 'lost title bond' costs more than the vehicle is worth.
Otherwise, there would be a line a mile long at every DMV with unsavory characters and their 'newly aquired' motorcycles that didn't come with a title.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
It's been a while, but I remember that replacing a title in Louisiana cost about $30. You need to check with the Washington DMV before making an offer. Knock off the retitle cost at least, plus some for your trouble.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts