Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting this virbating sound from the gear box when I downshift to first gear while slowing down to a stop w/ clutch disengaged.

This does not happen starting off, downshift from neutral. It happens when I downshift bunch of gears from 6th or 5th or 4th...and while getting into 1st.

Is this normal? Do any of you guys experienced this? ... am I doing something wrong or any problems with the bike.
Please help. Thanks in advance.

PS: The motorcycle doesnt vibrate or anything, its just that the gear shift pedal creates this vibrating kind of noise.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
How fast are you going when you shift into first gear? You really don't need to be shifting into 1st until you are almost completely stopped.

I definitely wouldn't shift into first when going anything over 20mph.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not going too fast...I experience this while coming to a stop sign or light...may be 10 or 5 mph & coming to a dead stop

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you come to a stop and then downshift? or Downshift while coming to a stop??

In the MSF course they taught me to downshit to 1st gear while coming to a stop.
And I guess thats what causing my gear shift pedal to vibrate while getting into 1st.

·
Registered
796 Posts
is the clutch fully engaged?

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
Gear teeth aren't lining up so you're not meshing into first. Either be more deliberate with your shift, or let the clutch out between gears.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh thanks guys, it makes sense now...silversx80 you are right...I do not let the clutch out for each downshit...I just have it squeezed and continue downshifting multiple gears....and thats when i hear the vibration getting into 1st.

But I'm thinking it will be a lot of work trying to downshift one gear at a time...

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
Ahh thanks guys, it makes sense now...silversx80 you are right...I do not let the clutch out for each downshit...I just have it squeezed and continue downshifting multiple gears....and thats when i hear the vibration getting into 1st.

But I'm thinking it will be a lot of work trying to downshift one gear at a time...
I usually let mine out between the 6-5, 4-3 and 2-1 shifts. I don't fully let it out when I'm quickly downshifting either; I just let it catch.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I usually let mine out between the 6-5, 4-3 and 2-1 shifts. I don't fully let it out when I'm quickly downshifting either; I just let it catch.
Is this the method to downshift when coming to a stop or slowing down?
Not trying to criticize or anything, just learning.
Like Iron said, it does sound like a lot of "work" to do this as I'm coming to a stop, from say, 4 or 5th gear. To release at every 2 gears? I mean, if there was a lot of stopping room, sure, why not. But if I'm up and moving down a 50mph highway, and a traffic light goes from Green to orange, I haven't too much time to go through releasing the clutch here and there.

Or maybe my problem is that I thought Engine braking is bad for the clutch or engine. Is this true? I usually try to avoid downshifting for engine braking. I usually allow the bike to slow down in the current gear, then when the rev's seem low enough, then I shift down 2-3 gears. But that's on a long gradual stop.

On those stops that have less space, I let the current gear do engine braking and pull in the brakes. But the problem here is sometimes the light turns green rather quick, and I'm still stuck in 4th or 5th gear, and have to sit there for 5seconds at a stop shifting the bike back down to gear 1-2

here... I'll save you guys some trouble: YES I'm NooB! :D

*edit*
Highway in terms of highspeed roads, not the freeway. ;) I know there arent' traffic lights on freeways.

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
Is this the method to downshift when coming to a stop or slowing down?
Not trying to criticize or anything, just learning.
Like Iron said, it does sound like a lot of "work" to do this as I'm coming to a stop, from say, 4 or 5th gear. To release at every 2 gears? I mean, if there was a lot of stopping room, sure, why not. But if I'm up and moving down a 50mph highway, and a traffic light goes from Green to orange, I haven't too much time to go through releasing the clutch here and there.
Slowing down to a stop... typical, day-to-day riding. When you emergency stop, you'll just have to prioritize what's more important. Is it not grinding the transmission or stopping before the immovable objects?

On a side note, most (repeat, most) traffic lights are timed for the legal speed and a safe stopping distance for the majority of vehicles. If the light goes from green to yellow, you should have enough time to downshift through the entire range, engine braking the entire way, and only engaging your brakes in first gear, under 3000 RPM. If not, you're going WAY too fast. I have never, once, been limited in my time to downshift when the light changes from green to yellow.

Sometimes, when I'm riding home from work, traffic suddenly goes from 70mph to 0mph. Clutch in, front and rear brakes applied and as speed falls, I click gears down to 2. at about 15-17 mph, I let the clutch out briefly and then shift into 1.

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
Or maybe my problem is that I thought Engine braking is bad for the clutch or engine. Is this true? I usually try to avoid downshifting for engine braking. I usually allow the bike to slow down in the current gear, then when the rev's seem low enough, then I shift down 2-3 gears. But that's on a long gradual stop.

On those stops that have less space, I let the current gear do engine braking and pull in the brakes. But the problem here is sometimes the light turns green rather quick, and I'm still stuck in 4th or 5th gear, and have to sit there for 5seconds at a stop shifting the bike back down to gear 1-2

here... I'll save you guys some trouble: YES I'm NooB! :D

*edit*
Highway in terms of highspeed roads, not the freeway. ;) I know there arent' traffic lights on freeways.
For the edit ;)

The bike is designed to pull you up to 11,000+ RPM, why would it be bad to slow you down from there?

Keep riding, that left hand and foot will get used to cycling through the gears rather quickly.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
All that 'work' to downshift each gear is what is going to save you from getting run over in those 1-2 seconds when that care behind you is a little too busy talking on his cell phone to pay attention to you having trouble getting in the correct gear.

This is more of a safety issue than anything, always be in the correct gear for your speed. Downshifting takes very little time and practicing it is just as important as E-braking technique as far as i am concerned.

Downshifting is actually a lot of fun once you get the hang of it. Its a great feeling coming up to a 15mph turn at 60 hitting all your downshifts, making the turn and accelrating out properly.

·
Banned
296 Posts
Did your wife leave anything under the rear seat?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts