Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just trying to gauge interest.
I'm not sure If I'll be selling it yet but I wanted to see if anyone was interested. I was going to use this on my SV but I decided to go a different route with the wheels (Triumph)

It's a 2002? VFR 800 wheel. 6 spoke. Would match pretty well with the F3 rear wheel. Much better than the stock SV or GSXR wheel.

I've changed the spacer and bearings to 25mm to fit the GSXR axle.
I've also had a set of rotor spacers machines to fit a set of 320mm Ducati rotors.

These wheels are set up to fit a set of radial GSXR forks with SRAD triples. The adapters are about 3/8" each so they spread the rotors out. I would not feel comfortable making them thinner so this wheel will not work with later model frontends unless you can find a set of 6bolt rotors with less offset.

Wheel was $130
Rotors were $120
Adapters were $280
Bearings were $35

I'd like to get $400 for the whole setup.

I'll post up some pictures.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Re: Feeler. VFR Wheel modified to fit GSXR frontend

Just curious... why didn't you just use Busa rotors instead of the ducati ones?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Are busa rotors 6 bolt? If they are then they may work with these wheels and adapters to mount onto 2000+ GSXR frontends.

After speaking to people on the VFR boards (they don't know sh!t), they assured me that the Ducati rotors fit the VFR wheels. They sort of did, but the Ducati uses 8mm bolts while the VFR uses 6mm. The Ducati holes were spread out farther but since they were bigger, you can still get the bolts in.

The Ducati rotors are offset about 5mm but that still wasn't enough for the SRAD frontend. I needed another 3/8" on each side so the adapters were a perfect solution. The have 6 threaded 8mm holes for the rotors and 6 countersunk 6mm holes to mount them solidly to the wheel.

I guess I could have gone wider with the adapters and made them with 5 threaded holes. Then I could just mount stock GSXR rotors. But I already had the Ducati rotors at that point and they are practically brand new so I just went this route.

·
Registered
9,563 Posts

busa rotors are same as TL and 96-03 GSXR rotors. 320mm, 5 bolt.

plus, why would he use busa when he could have Brembo?

·
Registered
9,563 Posts

want to trade brembo's?

I like yours better.

·
Registered
299 Posts

I've changed the spacer and bearings to 25mm to fit the GSXR axle.
I've got the same wheel here, and same frontend. Its just kinda funny that I stumbled across this thread.

What size bearings did you use and where did you get them? I am guessing they are 25x42x12 but I can't find anyone that manufactures such a thing. Did you have them custom made?

Edit: Found the answer to my question here: http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=94966

·
Registered
3,483 Posts

I would have been all over this wheel if it would have fit the stock GSX-R 5 bolt rotors.

·
Registered
299 Posts

I would have been all over this wheel if it would have fit the stock GSX-R 5 bolt rotors.
Well it could, if you had the adapter/flange machined to do so! :)

·
Registered
3,483 Posts

Well it could, if you had the adapter/flange machined to do so! :)
Um.. yeah... let me run that by the missus. " Hey hun, I'm gonna spend x more $ on the bike this month so that the front wheel matches the rear. But I'll need some custom adapter made up."

Her: Angry stare.

·
Registered
299 Posts

Um.. yeah... let me run that by the missus. " Hey hun, I'm gonna spend x more $ on the bike this month so that the front wheel matches the rear. But I'll need some custom adapter made up."

Her: Angry stare.
'splains the same thing to my wife... oh yeah, I don't have one... :nana: :laughing1: But I do have 4 project bikes! ;D

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

'splains the same thing to my wife... oh yeah, I don't have one... :nana: :laughing1: But I do have 4 project bikes! ;D
This guy knows how to live :)
Although, I've almost got you both beat. I've got a fiance and I have 6 project bikes and 2 project cars :)

·
Registered
299 Posts

This guy knows how to live :)
Although, I've almost got you both beat. I've got a fiance and I have 6 project bikes and 2 project cars :)
That doesn't sound like you've got us beat, it sounds more like you have a royal pain in the @ss on your hands, lol. :nana: When do you find time to pee?

·
Registered
381 Posts

I guess the reason the vfr rotors werent used is because they are only 296mm rotors?

What about the 300mm F4i or 1krr rotors? Those are 6 bolt rotors... curious...

·
Registered
299 Posts

I guess the reason the vfr rotors werent used is because they are only 296mm rotors?

What about the 300mm F4i or 1krr rotors? Those are 6 bolt rotors... curious...
I've done a lot of research on that matter actually, the 98-99 CBR900RR rotors are 310MM like the GXSR has, as are all years of the CBR1100XX. They also have the same 6-bolt pattern as the F3, and early VFR750 wheels.

The F4i and 1kRR rotors have a completely different bolt pattern, same with the 918, 929, and 954, all different bolt patterns from the earlier wheels. I think most of them are 330mm, and have a much larger center hole and bolt circle.

So anyways, I have an F3 wheel, and a pair of CBR1100XX rotors that should bolt directly on to the wheel and come REALLY close to fitting between in my '07 GSXR calipers.

·
Registered
381 Posts

I've done a lot of research on that matter actually, the 98-99 CBR900RR rotors are 310MM like the GXSR has, as are all years of the CBR1100XX. They also have the same 6-bolt pattern as the F3, and early VTR wheels.

The F4i and 1kRR rotors have a completely different bolt pattern, same with the 918, 929, and 954, all different bolt patterns from the earlier wheels. I think most of them are 330mm, and have a much larger center hole and bolt circle.

So anyways, I have an F3 wheel, and a pair of CBR1100XX rotors that should bolt directly on to the wheel and come REALLY close to fitting between in my '07 GSXR calipers.
Oh yeah? Do tell.

·
Registered
299 Posts

Oh yeah? Do tell.
I think I 'splained it there, haha.

but your question was:

wcj said:
so I dont threadjack the FS post

What are you going to do about the axle thickness difference? Are you just planning on using the F3 axle and have spacers made to account for the size difference?
I'm going to use the GSXR axle in the front, which is 25mm. The VFR/F3 wheel has a 20mm axle which will require a bearing changeout and new spacers/collars to be made or cut out of from GXSR pieces.

We'll see how that goes when I get time to put it together.

·
Registered
299 Posts

wcj said:
You've found a place to source the 25x42x12 bearings? I looked and looked and wasnt able to find anything.
I found a 25x42x9 but no 12. If you read the other thread about this conversion you'll see that he used a 25x47x12 bearing instead. I don't know if that is going to fit or not without additional machining, I haven't taken any proper measurements. All of my equipment isn't all in the same location. I've just been reading anything I find on the 'net.

You may need to machine the bearing locations 5mm bigger.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts