Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. the long and short of it, I laid my bike down this fall. One of the damaged items was the tach/speedo gauge. The speedo still works but the tach is shot. Instead of hunting for a new/used gauge set for $300.00 I was thinking of buying the Veypor as a replacement. For all you owners out there I have a few questions:

1. Can I run the veypor as a replacement gauge?
2. Is it a legal replacement for stock gauges, for inspections in Pennsylvania, will I get hassled by the inspectors.
3. How do you connect it to the stock wiring?? I believe I cannot start the bike with out the gauges connected.
4. can it be mounted in the stock gauge location??

Thanks for the answers in advance. I don't want to spend$279 and then have to buy new gauges to pass inspection once a year.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
1) Yes you can, but it's not as clear as stock gauges. Even with teh biullet case it's weather resistant, not weatherproof.
2) No idea. I can't see why not since they do everything the stock ones do, but you might get tripped up with odometer laws if there are any
3) It's possible to remove the gauges- don't know how, but look at any race bike.
4) No reason not to. Or you could put it somewhere else. Or you could stick it under the seat and use a HUD :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
It doesn't have a temp meter :'(

I just recieved mine in the mail and am in the middle of calibrating it. I also got my fingers stuck to the speedo cable with the superglue they give.

It's pretty cool so far, just throw the old one away and use the veypor

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
avalona2000 said:
It doesn't have a temp meter :'(

I just recieved mine in the mail and am in the middle of calibrating it. I also got my fingers stuck to the speedo cable with the superglue they give.

It's pretty cool so far, just throw the old one away and use the veypor
can you take some pics of the install. also doesnt the stock speedo need to be connected to start the bike??

email [email protected] w the pics if you dont post them here

·
Registered
158 Posts
No you do not need a speedo at all, I went a month without one. I will not be able to take pics till sat, but if your worried about where all the wires go the instructions are very good. If you have any questions let me know.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
avalona2000 said:
No you do not need a speedo at all, I went a month without one. I will not be able to take pics till sat, but if your worried about where all the wires go the instructions are very good. If you have any questions let me know.
Just send some pics when you take them, i won't be making a decision until the spring on what I am going to do. I want to check with some inspection stations on the legality of it. I would like to run the veypor instead of a stock speedo. I would have to get a machine shop to take the stock bracket and modify it to mount the veypor but that shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
i'd like to see pics as well

·
Registered
158 Posts
I know this doesn't help much since It is done, and installed.
This is the Line I tapped into to get RPM readout

This is where I ran the speedo cable

It's bluury, but you can see the magnet on the sprocket the sensor is superglued to the swingarm 2cm away.

This is where I mounted it. I drilled a hole in the uppertriple, and mounted the ram mount it comes with.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Only downsides to the veypor I have seen so far is the TEMP guage, and there is no Gas guage like I thought there was, but I guess that is the upgraded model. This is done on an 03 svs if yall were wondering.

G

·
so what if it rains??
can you take it off, does it have a quick release or something. would you lose all your info if you took it off.
and do you know if the newone has a temp guage?

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Kid Thunder said:
so what if it rains??
can you take it off, does it have a quick release or something. would you lose all your info if you took it off.
and do you know if the newone has a temp guage?
Actually one of the nice things about the veypors is that you can disconnect it and plug it into your computer and download all the stats. I wanna get one, but my biggest thing is the weather proof factor, I dont know if it will hold up in the rain, as I ride in the rain often it seems.
Its not just a speedo, but so much more.... goto www.veypor.com to learn more.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don't ride in the rain, but woody said it pretty well. It is water resistent, but there is a hole in the back that could get wet. I guess if you covered up that hole it would be alright. I don't know if the new one has a TEMP

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
avalona2000 said:
I don't ride in the rain, but woody said it pretty well. It is water resistent, but there is a hole in the back that could get wet. I guess if you covered up that hole it would be alright. I don't know if the new one has a TEMP
OMG I dont think I have ever had someone sorta kinda agree with me.....lol :D
I dont see any mention of a temp gage on the second one, but if you mention it to them, they might release a VR2 update that would do temp, but more likely it would have to be an upgrade in the later VR3 (when that ever comes out) b/c it would prob need to hook up to the stock cable for temp....At least that would be my guess.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nathan: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:35 am
Adding temperature sensors would add quite a bit of cost to the Veypor and so we have decided not to. We are working on an addon box that would feature several analog inputs that could be used for various temperature sensors.
Lots of good info and feedback on the forum if you are interested. http://veypor.com/forum/index.php
Also the firmware and VAS upgrades tend to happen pretty rapidly and don't always get advertised - it's good to check the download page every week or so.

as far as water resistance, the LCD and buttons are gasketed, but there is a large hole in the bottom for the serial/power ports. Veypor supplies a plug to seal that off, but I usually leave it off since I'm running a full fairing and it's part of a dash setup. I've had the display get a little wiggy during a heavy rainstorm when it was just mounted to the ram-mount, and was more exposed.

there are some earlier pictures here: http://veypor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=460

Someone asked about using a nonconductive silicon conformal coating on the circuit board, and Nathan @ Veypor thought it would be a good idea, and was going to consider including it from the factory.
http://veypor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=182&highlight=waterproofing

I was going to pick some up eventually - RadioShack charges over ~$11, but you can get it cheaper at Fry's or similar electronic supply places.

·
Registered
76 Posts
also, temp gauges are easy to add.. there is a tip for using a Autometer analog meter in the tips/tricks section. Temp pickup is easy to get to, and you just swap out the pickup and find a mounting place for the gauge. 12v hookup if you decide to run a lighted dial.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well since I have a Gen I , I dont have a temp gauge anyway. My only concern was using it as the only instruments. I think I will get a machine shop to make me a plate that will bolt on the stock bracket, I think that will look the best on the naked and give me a good view of the veypor. I run SM type II bars so I don't think mounting it to the bars will be the best.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts