Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My vesrah RJL pads showed up today and I put them in on my lunch break. What a world of difference these pads made. The Tokico pads in there are just garbage in comparison. I even had the confidence to throw a few stoppies in on the way home. :eek:ccasion14: I'll drink to that for sure. If you're looking for new pads spend the 55 per set for RJL's you wont regret it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checked and lubed my caliper slides, rotors don't needs scuffing to seat new pads. all in all took about 5-10 minutes, thanks for the condescending post though.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Checked and lubed my caliper slides, rotors don't needs scuffing to seat new pads. all in all took about 5-10 minutes, thanks for the condescending post though.
The reason rotors are scuffed/sanded is to remove any old pad material that may be on them. Pads and rotors wear into each other, so you can get peaks and valleys when you switch to new pads.

Would I do it? 99% probability of no. :p

By the way, where did you get the Vesrah pads? Every place I've checked has been out of stock. I need to get some new pads before my next day at the track, and I've heard that the Vesrah RJLs are much better than the EBC HH pads.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Should be cleaning the pistons as best you can also - pushing them back in with dirt is a good way to kill seals.

If switching pad brands, you should clean the rotors as I mentioned. Sure the pads will work, but they can work better if you clean the rotors.

Not condescending, just trying to educate.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
The reason rotors are scuffed/sanded is to remove any old pad material that may be on them. Pads and rotors wear into each other, so you can get peaks and valleys when you switch to new pads.

Would I do it? 99% probability of no. :p

By the way, where did you get the Vesrah pads? Every place I've checked has been out of stock. I need to get some new pads before my next day at the track, and I've heard that the Vesrah RJLs are much better than the EBC HH pads.
Ridersdiscount

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont believe there is enough to gain by sanding, scuffing rotors. I don't want to risk creating thickness variations (unlikely) or altering the coefficient of friction in multiple spots across a rotor, which can create pulsing brakes. I haven't seen any data signifying that scuffing rotors does any good i.e decrease braking distance or prolonging pad life. Turning them sure, replacing them definitely, but scuffing I'm not sold on it. Maybe I'm being obtuse but in the 12 years I have been working on cars and bikes I have never become accustomed to scuff rotors. To each his own and if it makes you feel better about them go for it.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I installed the Vesrah pads on my girls Ninja 250... WOW!

I have them on the SV1000, but here's another wow for awesome pads. Makes the EBC pads feel like garbage.

BTW, I didn't scuff the rotor, the bike has less than 1,500 miles, the original pads were changed because the fork caps were leaking from the bike sitting for so many years (2005) and then being used again. The pads were contaminated and the brakes barely worked, so when I went to clean the brakes of dust and dirt, they were already clean... so I cleaned them anyway with brake parts cleaner and brushed off some cobwebs, cleaned the rotor with brake cleaner and used a cloth to wipe any dirt/grime from them. I rode the bike to work this morning and it's clamping great, they will only get better with time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts