Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My garage was at 65 deg F. I rode my 2001 SV on Friday night for a short distance of 6.6 miles in Brooklyn with no noticable issues.

I went to start it up today. I didn't have any choke. Sometimes I open it up right after ignition -- fully since it got cooler.

The engine turned over twice, then I heard a *very* loud bang, I guess from the rear of the bike -- the exhaust. The bang sounded like a large firecracker, one of those M80s or something, very brief and high in pitch, like a heavy piece of wood falling flat onto another heavy piece of wood. I haven't tried turning it over since.

What do I do? I'm afraid to touch it now. Not sure if it's something serious, or just a buildup of gas in the cylinder or something.

I noticed that the red oil light was illuminated. Can't remember whether this is a usual condition. But my engine oil level is fine.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, then thats some back fire. My ears were ringing! I suppose I'll just have to try to fire it back up and hope nothing from the engine comes flying towards my legs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My bike does this every so often. It's my trackbike so it goes without starting for a few days at a time. A lot of times when it backfires it sets off my car alarm. Every time I get ready to start it after a few days I'm paranoid and cover my ears.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
A while back I'd left my bike parked at the retirement home where my grandma stays, and went to pick it up pretty late on. I didn't want to wake up 250 geriatrics when I started it- I'd be there all night explaining that I'm not their son- so I was trying to start it up all quiet. And naturally I produced the backfire from hell when it started. All that was left ot do was leave the scene of the crime ::)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts