Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you had this experience?

We just got a letter saying our main vehicle (minivan) will be dropped by our insurance company. We have all our insurance through them. I bought a truck about a year and a half ago and since owning it, I had a tree fall on it, a speeding ticket for 10 over, then a small fender bender where I rear ended someone at about 20 mph (enough for probably a $2000 claim by other driver) I almost forgot about the claim for the windshield a week before the tree fell on it. But it's not the truck being dropped it's our main vehicle our minivan.

They cited some other stuff on it also. I haven't seen the letter yet. My wife told me about it. So if anyone has had this happen. Please give share your experience and what you did.

Thanks

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well with your main vehicle gone maybe they figure less chance for claims or are trying to get rid of you. I would do some shopping and try to pull everything they insure away from them.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, that's kind of where we are at. It's a pain in the ass and it's the worst possible time right now (we just got back from vacation, bought a new house and wife is starting a new job with a bit of vehicle travel and kids go back to school in a couple weeks).

We did finally switch from our crappy bank to a credit union, it was a bit of a pain but worth it so maybe it really is time to start new. I've literally had this insurance company forever, I've never had another company just this one. I hate insurance companies.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
yeah, that's kind of where we are at. It's a pain in the ass and it's the worst possible time right now (we just got back from vacation, bought a new house and wife is starting a new job with a bit of vehicle travel and kids go back to school in a couple weeks).

We did finally switch from our crappy bank to a credit union, it was a bit of a pain but worth it so maybe it really is time to start new. I've literally had this insurance company forever, I've never had another company just this one. I hate insurance companies.
I hate most of them too. The only one I like is USAA and just can't wait till they can insure my motorcycle with them. They are the only ones I have dealt with that are honest and willing to actually hold up their end of the contract. Most others I or my wife have dealt with look for any thing, even a lie, to get out of doing their end of the deal.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How much time did they give you? Do you have a 3rd party agent or do you deal directly with them?

Deal with their agent.

State Farm for those who want to know.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've literally had this insurance company forever, I've never had another company just this one. I hate insurance companies.
Thats how it was for me i had mine for years but with no tickets or anything every year they cost more. I just bought my house this year and did the home/auto bundle thing, mailed a check for 1100 and 2 weeks later hit a wood post in the road doing 600 in damage. I have a 500 dollar deduc and they wont promise to not raise my price if i made a claim so whats the point?

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Insurance companies are constantly trying to find the profitability sweet spot. As a result, they sometimes revise what kinds of risks they think they want to attract, and which kinds they want to dump. For some reason, they're just not that into your minivan anymore.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Insurance companies are constantly trying to find the profitability sweet spot. As a result, they sometimes revise what kinds of risks they think they want to attract, and which kinds they want to dump. For some reason, they're just not that into your minivan anymore.
:roflmao: I guess minivans just aren't cool, who knew?

·
very big dumb
8,897 Posts
i've been dropped before (too many tickets and accidents)
switched a different company at a $300/year savings :laugh: so i guess i showed them

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that's what I'm hoping for by looking into it.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I change insurance companies every few years anyway for better deals. I have never found a single insurance company to insure my house, cars and bikes where it is cheaper than insuring them separately at different companies. Every insurance company is always significantly higher on something.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I change insurance companies every few years anyway for better deals. I have never found a single insurance company to insure my house, cars and bikes where it is cheaper than insuring them separately at different companies. Every insurance company is always significantly higher on something.
I think the benefit to something like State Farm where you put everything together is an umbrella policy.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
By theory it's also should be easier with making payments and such but reality is you still send them when they are due. So it wouldn't matter if it was last month or next month. I don't make one big payment per year and call it good, although that sounds like it would be a good idea.

It must be that time to make a switch.

So who would everyone suggest?

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
By theory it's also should be easier with making payments and such but reality is you still send them when they are due. So it wouldn't matter if it was last month or next month. I don't make one big payment per year and call it good, although that sounds like it would be a good idea.

It must be that time to make a switch.

So who would everyone suggest?
Get a few quotes from several other companies that compete with state farm. Take those quotes to your agent and say "Hey, I don't like that you dropped my car. So either add my car back or I am walking." If the rates you got are cheaper then you are paying also add "I want you to beat these quotes." But do it more diplomatic.

Most likely they will not blink at loosing a customer. If they don't try for your business, then I would just leave.

Companies I would recommend would be USAA (If you are military) or Geico. Personally have bad problems with Progressive and State Farm. The rest I don't have any opinions on.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
A friend of mine got a speeding ticket and two separate accidents where he was rear ended and not at fault all within 6mo. His insurance company put him into a pool where the yearly premium was $6k. Insurance companies insure themselves, not their clients. They're not doing anyone favors. Good luck with a new company, I don't think it really matters.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Until you get the explanation for the drop, it is all speculation. Once you know why, it is easier to decide what to do. It could be a lot of things, including identity theft or a mistake.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation with my ins co, who just dramatically raised rates on a couple of my bikes. No tickets, claims, accidents, so I will probably be changing companies. At this point, they have my car, bikes, and home, but probably not for much longer.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts