Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there was a thing on CBS Sunday morning about a fire company in Austin, TX that has completely switched to a vegetarian diet. The guy that started it said they've all lost weight, feel better, and there seem to be no ill effects from cutting out meat, as well as animal products of any kind (eggs, milk, etc.).

Unfortunately, as with any news broadcast, IMO, they don't do a very good job of showing reasonable arguments on both sides.

For the side of the vegetarians, they show a bunch of people who do nothing but exercise, weight 100lbs soaking wet, and show these gourmet meals made with vegetables and fruits.

On the side of the "meat eaters", they have a Dr. telling about how cutting meat out of your diet can have negative consequences (like iron deficiency), but before introducing her, are quick to point out that her research is funded by the Beef Industry. Every "meat" meal they feature is either a full rack of ribs, a gigantic oversize cheeseburger dripping with grease and cheese, enourmous hotdogs slathered in saurkraut and other condiments, and (this is what really pi--ed me off) an entire diner grill piled with greasy bacon (like someone was going to eat that entire pile of bacon). :rolleyes:

They seemed to want to give everyone the idea that simply becoming vegetarians suddenly made them healthy, lowered their colesterol, and gave them more energy. Couldn't be the fact that they also started a rigorous physical fitness regiment, or began to eat more sensibly. Aw hell no... couldn't be that. :rolleyes:

Keep your broccoli, hippie! :angry1:

Give me a steak!!!

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Yeah, thats a crock. You can live healthier as a vegetarian and not have ill affects but it's really hard work. Have to pick the right stuff. It's a lot easier to be healthy as a meat eater and just cutting out massive portions and grease. Meh...I enjoyed my vegetarian stint. I did lose weight and felt better in general but I made sure to have a nutritionally round diet.

·
OberKommandant
6,133 Posts
Sure you can lose weight being a vegitarian. I could lose weight on a ramen noodle diet too, and for the same reason, I would lose the will to live, let alone eat.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to add that the fire chief, who's idea this was, wrote a book about this whole experience. He predicted that in 5 years, "meat eaters" would go the way of smokers, in that restaurants would have "meat eating" sections, and people would look down on them as having an unhealthy lifestyle.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
I tried it once quite a few years ago. Was not my thing. Did I lose wieght...yeah. Did I feel crappy, yeah.
I like meat too much and food in general.;D

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Forgot to add that the fire chief, who's idea this was, wrote a book about this whole experience. He predicted that in 5 years, "meat eaters" would go the way of smokers, in that restaurants would have "meat eating" sections, and people would look down on them as having an unhealthy lifestyle.
I wonder if the "meat eating section" would have a fence around it???

You know, from all the tearing flesh;D

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
IN TEXAS ?! What a nut job. That's the thing about Austin, it's not like ANYwhere else in Texas.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
I would cut out all vegatables from my diet FIRST before I cut out meat. I have made plenty a meal off a medium rare steak alone. Well, I don't think I could cut out garlic cheese mashed potatoes. I am just trying to cut out food all together right now.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Sounds like they went vegan. It's extremely difficult to have a well-balanced diet as a vegan, much less vegetarian. One of the primary problems is getting all of the amino acids you need. Nearly every grain/seed/nut/etc. do not have a complete profile of amino acids and most vegetarians (who have not used a nutritionist), especially fad vegetarians, have amino acid shortages.

Vegetarian food can be extremely good tasting, vegan food as well, but you really have to know what you're doing as a vegan.

Alternately, people who went on the Atkin's diet (meat only), also had nutrition deficiencies in other ways. If you didn't balance it out by the proper vitamin supplements, it would lead to depression.

The one thing I don't get is vegetarians/vegans who forego eating meat because of the cruelty to animals type of thing and then buy products that mimic meat! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would cut out all vegatables from my diet FIRST before I cut out meat. I have made plenty a meal off a medium rare steak alone. Well, I don't think I could cut out garlic cheese mashed potatoes. I am just trying to cut out food all together right now.
Haha, agreed!

I run far too much to give up meat/protien/amino acids that only come from meat. And, there's nothing like a nice prime rib :p It's easy to stay fit as long as you aren't eating twinkies every day, might as well be the omnivore you are!

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
:puke: A particularly disgusting choice for an example.
Hah, yeah I know. That's why I chose it. I have tried a few meat substitute things and they suck. Would be better to just let it taste like whatever it's made from. Want a burger? Why not a portobello cap or something? Tastes better than a fake meat burger.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
My mom is a vegetarian and she is fat.:-X

Many vegetarians eat very unhealthilyily. They then load up on carbs and sugars and soy protein. Pastry is "vegetarian" too and they might eat a lot of that crap daily. I think a Ding Dong or Ho Ho is considered "vegetarian."

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I'm sorry, If god did'nt intend for us to harm animals he would'nt made them out of......MEAT!

Besides I've never met a healty vegetarian or vegan, all the ones I've met look like vampires and look brittle and frail.

·
Registered
607 Posts
My girlfriend is a vegan, so whenever we hang out I'm a vegan. It's actually not too bad, but then I haven't spent more than a couple of days at a time with her. I'll say this, living without cheese or any dairy is hard, let alone no meat of any sort.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts