Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i noticed my chain slack varies depending on how my wheel is rotated..... this is bad isnt it? havent ridden since the wheel re-install, so could it be my cush drive just needs to seat? my sprocket was torqued to spec and threadlocked. (yes i tightened in a star pattern)

rear axle at 70ft-lbs

is my wheel mounted crooked? stupid hash marks are worthless since the left side markerplate slides so much.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
tight - loose syndrome... means o-rings are shot, time to replace

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
yup, you've got some frozen links, you need to take better care of your chain. or maybe its just old? either way, time for a new one.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Did you go with a new sprocket and chain or the old stuff? It's completely normal to have a bit of tight/loose on anything with "used" sprockets because they don't actually wear evenly all the way around most of the time. It could be stuck links but that one would be easy to spot, I've used a set of sprockets long enough to go through 3 new chains and each time had some tight/loose even with brand new chains.

If it's not your chain just adjust it at it's tightest spot and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Could be the cushion drive out of position a bit. Check the chain for wear and stiff spots.

Put the bike in gear, push forward to tension the lower run of the chain. Count 21 pins. If the measurement is anything more than 12.5" it's time to replace the chain. Now back the bike up to put slack into the bottom run and move each link. If any are tight make a mental note. Now roll the bike forward and check another section. You should check at least three sections. If any are worn more than 12.5" it's time to replace.

When you replace it's best to do both sprockets and the chain at the same time.

If no measurement is beyond 12.5" you could continue to run the chain. Set tension at the tightest spot. It's probably the cushion drive off center, which does happen to some bikes.

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
It's probably the cushion drive off center, which does happen to some bikes.
No, much more likely to be a worn out chain. Here is how you can tell for sure:

Observe the chain slack as you rotate the wheel. If the slack occurs each tire revolution, then it's the sprocket. If the slack occurs each chain revolution, then it's chain. I'll buy andy a beer if I'm wrong! smiley

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
god i hope its not the sprocket, its only 2 months old. but it shouldnt be the chain either, i've got less than 8k miles on it, and i lube and adjust regularly.

i did run my chain a bit too tight for a little more than a month, could it kill it that fast?

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
i did run my chain a bit too tight for a little more than a month, could it kill it that fast?
Put a little mark on the chain and then rotate the wheel to see if the loose section always shows up in the same place. If it does, then your chain is shot.

If your chain was *very* tight it could have worn the wheel and/or counter shaft bearings. Don't freak out though, it's still probably you chain.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
The rubber bits do wear and even without wear sometimes get a funny "set". It's pretty common. There were a bunch of posts on here about this back a couple of years.

No matter, it's still important to check several sections for wear. With a bit of care you can check the entire chain in about 15 minutes, taking your time and being careful.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fcuk, its my sprocket. brand new supersprox tri-metal and its out of round. tension tightens at the same place every wheel rotation. double checked cush drive and its seated evenly. sprocket bolts are at spec still.

probably been this way since i installed it, which explains why i had such a hard time setting proper tension. ****it. internet search says this isnt uncommon for this particular sprocket. jeeze and it was expensive too.

also, found out a way to rig up my laser level/straight edge tool i bought for various home improvement odds and ends to clamp to my sprocket for perfect sprocket alignment. and IIRC it was no more expensive than those dedicated sprocket alignment tools. just fyi

oh and the threads on my rear axle are kinda chewed despite always torquing to spec, $97 for a new axle and castle nut!!!! ouch.

anyway, thanks for the help guys. much appreciated

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
that sucks, but for informational purposes, how did you come to that conclusion vs. the chain being the culprit?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the chain slack was tightening at the same point of the wheel/sprocket rotation. if it was the chain, it would happen at the same point on the chains rotation. TeeRiver actually pointed that out.

there is one other thing i need to check, i'm going to tape a screwdriver to the swingarm and have it 1mm from touching the sprocket. then i'm going to rotate the wheel and see if the 1mm remains constant. if it varies, then that means the sprocket is not rotating evenly on a single plane. but i'm not sure if that would cause what i am experiencing. i'll post up later

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
Andy, I think I owe you a beer, we were *both* wrong ha! smiley

:eek:ccasion14:
Cheers!

·
Registered
799 Posts
The rubber bits do wear and even without wear sometimes get a funny "set". It's pretty common. There were a bunch of posts on here about this back a couple of years.
you can take rubber bits out and carrier will still be in same spot. you can not position it anywhere else but where it goes. it would have a lot of slack and hit metal on metal without rubber but it always stays in same place.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i think what i get what he is saying, since the cush drive/sprocket carrier does wobble around when its off the wheel.

but once its mounted with the axle running through it, it will be held in line right?

·
Registered
799 Posts
yes, unless it is damaged (or bad bearing or missing spacer...) to wobble left right. it can not wobble front to back to tighten chain. bad rubbers can only make slack in it and you would get kicks on/off throttle.
you spinning it by hand with no load on it, no way that thing can move anywhere :)
sprockets can sometime be out of round or worn out uneven.
in most cases chain is problem.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
double triple checked and tested everything. even moved my chain 20 teeth on the sprocket to a new position. same result.

sprocket has zero wobble, is aligned perfectly (laser verified), axle nut to spec, sprocket nuts to spec.

cush drive axle, spacers, bearing inspected and lubed.

sprocket is just lopsided. yay. why cant it ever be something simple.

not doing anything about it though, set slack on the chain to be at 0.8in at tightest, and 1.1in at loosest, both within spec.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts