Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had an incident that resulted in a SV650 being knocked on it's side while warm ??? It only was down for a few seconds, (maybe 1 min), before being righted. After replacing a broken clutch lever this evening it wouldn't start, wouldn't even turn, although it was trying to. I immediately thought that it seems like a vapor lock of some sort.

I pulled both plugs, hit the starter and made a mess.... But, the bike did crank!! Plugs go back in and aside from a smoke screen its running like a champ. Why would the cylinders have locked? Is this common with SV's?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sounds like you are asking about a hydro-lock problem and not vapor-lock. Vapor-lock is when you starve an engine for fuel by heating up the fuel line it gets so hot the liquid gas turn into vapor and a air bubble forms in the line and fuel can't get to the carbs.

Hydro-locking an engine is done with water or oil when a non-compressable liquid is in the cylinder and you try compressing it. Typically connecting rods break or twist. Was the bike running while on its side? What is the oil level in the engine after you righted the bike? Is the oil level significantly lower?

I don't know specifically about the SV but my feeling is that you did not hydro lock your engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When the bike tipped over it ran for a second or 2 , but then cut off by itself. When the bikes motor turned over without the plugs in, it was non diluted oil that came out.

G

·
mrfun said:
When the bike tipped over it ran for a second or 2 , but then cut off by itself. When the bikes motor turned over without the plugs in, it was non diluted oil that came out.
when bike lays on left side crankase vents are down and oil can enter air box.when you lift it that oil can drain in to cylinder.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
pull plugs... clean them... crank engine... put plugs back in... crank some more... repeat as required.
No big deal. ;D

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
mrfun said:
We had an incident that resulted in a SV650 being knocked on it's side ....  After replacing a broken clutch lever this evening it wouldn't start, wouldn't even turn, although it was trying to.....
Im just grabbing at straws here but wouldnt the TOS (Tip Over Sensor, or whatever its called) have something to do with it not starting right away?
just throwing it out there, im surprised noone else mentioned it.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
dackler said:
Im just grabbing at straws here but wouldnt the TOS (Tip Over Sensor, or whatever its called) have something to do with it not starting right away?
just throwing it out there, im surprised noone else mentioned it.
Tilt sensor reminds me of old pinball. It's a bike, it will go over... why put such a sensor on it?
[/rant]

The 99-02 do not have that sensor.

·
Registered
537 Posts
It's a bike, it will go over... why put such a sensor on it?
FI bikes continue to run so a sensor is needed otherwise it would be dangerous to pickup a running bike in gear (say the clutch lever's broken).  carbs just end up flooding and cut off on their own eventually.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts